Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ceramiclear

Tango

Went to the sprayshop today (see other post on paint thickness) and after my whinging about how soft the clearcoat on the Lexus appeared to be, the guy showed me a label on a Nissan (I think) which along with the paint code stated it had scratch resistant clear coat :huh: Some kind of ceramic.

Anyone heard of Ceramiclear? I understand Autopia has a polish specifically for it :unsure:

Might be worth specifying for the next front end respray...

yep,

its a few years old, nissan use it for resprays, its not OEM tho, as they use a different product. but merc use it as OEM.

but you are correct the lexus oem clear coat is very soft,

TIP: for those that have a respray done when u get the car back the clearcoat will be VERY soft as its not fully hardened/dried - touch it with your fingernail and u will see. so be carefull and no jet or car washes!

• 2 months later...

We have a 56 plate Nissan, the paint finish is light years ahead of Lexus. The car is so well finished - better than any car I've ever owned. There is really something to be said here about Nissans paint process which IMHO is without peer...

We use the car as the shooping trolley, Mum's taxi etc etc and the car is still Less scratched than our Lex, which is garaged everynight, always 2 bucket washed every week to 10 days, and the Nissan one bucket every 2-3 weeks. This is even more shocking when you consider that I never got round to applying any sealant glaze or detailing to the Nissan...just one coat of P21s a week after delivery last year and that was it...

Merc's do use a version of Ceramiclear or similar, and their process is now apparently one of the best!! Shame about everything else...

Went to the sprayshop today (see other post on paint thickness) and after my whinging about how soft the clearcoat on the Lexus appeared to be, the guy showed me a label on a Nissan (I think) which along with the paint code stated it had scratch resistant clear coat :huh: Some kind of ceramic.

Anyone heard of Ceramiclear? I understand Autopia has a polish specifically for it :unsure:

Might be worth specifying for the next front end respray...

My understanding of Ceramiclear OEM application is that it equires very high temperatures to cure, higher than a bodyshop drying oven could provide. So whilst it will not be as 'hard' as the OEM paint a scratch resistant paint is available from PPG and others.

CeramiClear:

PPG’s CeramiClear clear coat is the first automotive clear coat to use nano particle technology in the final coating applied to car bodies, protecting the colour coat while providing a durable, glossy appearance.

The patented technology creates a highly cross-linked network at the surface of the coating for superior resistance to damage caused by day-to-day use, car washes and environmental hazards such as acid rain and tree sap” look in the door jam; you will see a "C" after the paint code if it is Ceramiclear.

PPG website- http://www.ppg.com/car_autocoat/awards.htm

PPG Industries Inc (2004) ceramic clear coat is unmatched in scratch, surface marring and acid-etching resistance as well as gloss retention. Test results have shown that after a period of six months gloss retention shows an 80% improvement and acid-etching resistance is 50% better compared to that of a non-ceramic clear coat. They have also developed an aftermarket refinishing clear coat to provide approximately the same level of protection as the OEM ceramic clear coat.

Menzerna polishes were designed to remove very fine (3000 grit) swirls from the new, super-hard, ceramic clear coats. These are the BASF clear coats being used on the Maybach and 2004-5 Rolls

Royce Phantom and PPG's CeramiClear which is being used on the 2005 Mercedes C-Class, they can also be used on conventional clear coats.

One of the better polishes I've found to reduce imperfections and finish down the furthest is Menzerna PO106ff; I have found this polish to be foam pad ‘dependant’ as far as its paint correction abilities are concerned. On Ceramiclear (and most other paint systems) I would recommend a two level foam pad / polish to really bring out the paint. Start with PO 106ff and an LC Orange foam pad and follow with white foam. I'd suggest polishing twice a year (Spring and Autumn) or as needed.