Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My car is lonely and starts to cry in the night. Well once last night (2:30), three times during the day and twice the night before. I can't see any reason for thew alarm to go off - no cats, yobs, leaves blowing around. Needless to say I'm annoyed.

Has anyone else has a similar problem? Does anyone know if the sensitivity can be turned down at all?

I had this prob a while ago too, someone on here sugested that I remove a metal objects (coins, keys etc.) from the centre are rest as these mess with the sensor that is located nearby.

So far this has worked for me :)

• 8 months later...

Well I thought my alarm problems had solved themselves, but my wagon has started to cry during the night again. Not only that, but when I was dragged out to some *** foresaken shopping theatre to look at curtains (missus thinks I should care/have an opinion bless her) it started crying for no reason I could see.

Now I doubt that Eddie the shipboard computer gets lonely since he's got Digital Dorrothy to while away the hours swapping sweet 1s and 0s with.

One thought passed through my mind (easily noticed since it's usually empty). The alarm seems to be triggered as the temperature drops. Has anyone else come across a temperature dependant wiring fault?

Try closing all your heater vents this stops airflow which has been known to trigger internal movement sensors, or try turning off the internal sensor

spend more time with the car

Hi

My 1999 GS 300 SE Has not got any internal sensors, I have the owners handbook and no mention at all of any internal sensors

Probsat

Series 1 has 1 press on remote to activate alarm and 2nd press to deactivate internal movement sensor---so anything in car that moves, ie dog,polar bear etc. will not set alarm off. I thought series 2 had this as well.

im sure it was standard across the range...

apparently dealers can turn this function on/

Hi

This is what it says in my owners Handbook

To Deter the theft of the vehicle, this system is designed to give an alarm if any of the doors, trunk or hood is forcibly unlocked or the Battery terminal is disconnected then reconnectednwhile the vehicle is locked.

Setting the system

1 Turn the ignition to the LOCK position and remove it. The indicator light flashes by means of the engine immoboliser system

2 Close and lock all doors, trunk and hood using the wireless remote control. If you lock them with the wireless remote control, the turn signals flash once ( the turn signals can be set not to flash, ask your lexus dealer for details) The flashing indicator will change to stay on when all doors, trunk and hood are closed and locked.

3 After 30 seconds, the indicator starts flashing and the system is set.

Cancelling the system

When you unlock the system with the wireless remote the system is cancelled. If you unlock any door or trunk with the wireless remote the turn signals flash twice ( this can be turned off , ask you lexus dealer for details).

Activating the system.

The alarm sounds for 30 seconds if any of the following are operated.

*unlocking any door or trunk without using the wireless remote control

*Opening the hood forcibly

*Reconnecting the Battery

*Turn the ignition switch on

If any door is unlocked and the ignition key is not in the ignition switch during the alarm sounding, its door is automatically locked.

To stop the alarm

Use either of the following methods.

*Unlock the door or trunk using the wireless remote control.

Testing the system

1 Open all windows

2 Set the alarm as described before

3 unlock one of the doors from inside. The system should activate!!

4 Unlock any of the doors with the wireless remote control to cancel the system

5 Repeat this operation for the other doors and hood.

When testing the hood, also check that the system is activated when the Battery terminal is diconnected and then reconnected.

If the system does not work properly, have it checked by your lexus dealer.

The above is a direct copy of the text from my GS300 SE owners Handbook.

To add, when opening mine with the wireless remote control, if I hold the button down fo approx 10 seconds, I hear a bleep from the car, then all windows and sunroof open. With the sunroof and windows open I then use the remote to close the car and if this time I hold the close button down for 10 seconds the windows and sunroof close and sets the alarm.

So has you can see there is no mention of internal sensors in the owners Handbook (dated 1998) My car is June 1999.

To add my remote control has three buttons one to open one to close and the third one when held down for more than 5 seconds opens the boot.

I hope that this helps someone

Cheers

Probsat

Well typed! If that was from memory, I'm impressed.

I seem to remember something about pressing twice to lock and disable internal sensors too though.

I'll give it a try and see what happens, though not this weekend cos I've had a long week and rather fancy I lie in (subject to curtain sales)

Well typed! If that was from memory, I'm impressed.

I seem to remember something about pressing twice to lock and disable internal sensors too though.

I'll give it a try and see what happens, though not this weekend cos I've had a long week and rather fancy I lie in (subject to curtain sales)

The 2nd press is certainly the case on series 1 models. This is described in the owners manual in the preface about the security system, but from the comments of series 2 owners it would seem that this may not be the case on the series 2.

@ smiler

Please check yours out, maybe on the mk1 internal sensors caused problems so they dropped the idea on the mk2. Hopefully a member with a later Mk 2 model(2000-2002) will post

cheers

probsat

Hi

Just tried mine again and when I press once on the remote to lock the car the indicators flash once, press again and the indicators flash 5 times and appear to deadlock the locks.

I was sitting in the car at the time to check for inside sensors but I moved around without triggering the alarm, so I assume no sensors?

cheers

probsat

88b just reminded me of somthing.

on my miss's astra the alarm kept going off, due to the backup alarm Battery losing life. the only way of fixing was removing the backup alarm and changing the Battery.

the mk2 does have a backup alarm, i "think" its in the engine bay, it should have its own power source as its ment to go off if someone disconnects the Battery to steal the car.

Hi Shake

You can disconnect the Battery on a Series 2 ok when the alarm is set(if you open the bonnet without setting it off of course), it is when you try to reconnect the Battery, then the alarm will sound.

From my previous post

Activating the system.

The alarm sounds for 30 seconds if any of the following are operated.

*unlocking any door or trunk without using the wireless remote control

*Opening the hood forcibly

*Reconnecting the Battery

*Turn the ignition switch on

Cheers

Probsat