Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk1 rear sport 10" alloy

Went to change the tyre and found the inner rim had about 9 splits running towards the centre of the wheel about 1" long, it was not holding the air, so i thought i had a puncture.

Cant beleive it, only just sold a brand new set too !

So if anyone has an old sport alloy, please let me know..

Mk1 rear sport 10" alloy

Went to change the tyre and found the inner rim had about 9 splits running towards the centre of the wheel about 1" long, it was not holding the air, so i thought i had a puncture.

Cant beleive it, only just sold a brand new set too !

You've got to be having a giraffe havent ya!

I thought even this set was only about 6 months old or something wasnt it? Id take it back to Lexus personally and have a winge about it.

I absolutely LOVE the 10" rears on the Sport but didnt buy them as i was hearing a few horror stories about the tyres, but the wheel having cracks and splits in it, thats put me completely off and there has got to be something wrong there.

BigRoj is/was selling a set, give him a try.

its why i took mine off .first sign is a slow puncture .they look good on the car but in my opinion not worth the hassle of the splits and the quickly worn tyres ,not to mention the price of the tyres .

its why i took mine off .first sign is a slow puncture .they look good on the car but in my opinion not worth the hassle of the splits and the quickly worn tyres ,not to mention the price of the tyres .

Your telling me!

I sort of regretted not geting the 10" rears but to be honest when you hear stuff like this, whereby the ALLOY itself is cracking/splitting then all of a sudden i dont regret it at all.

Please dont take offence to this, but is there any chance that it could be driver error, whereby your doing something wrong and not realising it??? I mean, this may be the first case iv ever heard of where the wheel has split for no reason. The usual reasons are kerbs, pothols, wrong size tyres etc etc.

I must be lucky as I've had mine on for a couple of years now with Dunlop SP 8080 285 wide tyres and no problems at all as far as I am awarewith either tyres or wheels, but then I did have Dr Bones sort the rear wheel alignment cos my standard width rears were eating tyres.

I must be lucky as I've had mine on for a couple of years now with Dunlop SP 8080 285 wide tyres and no problems at all as far as I am awarewith either tyres or wheels, but then I did have Dr Bones sort the rear wheel alignment cos my standard width rears were eating tyres.

I suspect thats the key to longevity of wide rim rear wheels on GSs', getting the geometry sorted by a competent wheel geometry sorter-outerer.

I bought a new set of Fuel-5s for my mk1 as I had a buckle on the original spare TTE 9 spoke, so decided to go the whole hog and get new wheels. I had 10in rears, 8.5in front, and the rears are in far better condition than the fronts.

When the new wheels were fitted I had them do the 4-wheel alignment, good job as it turned out as it was out.

Since its been done, its like driving a different car, especially at high speed. Fantastic.

yes you really need to get the wheels aligned, not to factory spec, if you put on 18" wheels, standard or wide. The factory settings are for 16" wheels which work okay for 17" but you will eat tyres on the wider 18" rim.

I need to get mine all done soon, are the figures for 18 inch wheels publicised anywhere Colin as I guess they'll just read out what's listed in the book - think last time we set it up as a GS300 Sport?

I think you'll find that a competent Aligner will have the relevant settings for an 18in wheel set up Aido.

The one I used did.