Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Leak

Oneil_IS

Hi, I found this site whilst looking for information on one of our cars.

We have a 40,000 miles IS200 which has started loosing coolant. It seems to be leaking from above the water pump. From what I can understand this is quite common.

Does anyone know anything about this and likely repair costs?

Hi, I found this site whilst looking for information on one of our cars.

We have a 40,000 miles IS200 which has started loosing coolant. It seems to be leaking from above the water pump. From what I can understand this is quite common.

Does anyone know anything about this and likely repair costs?

Alright mate,

If the water leak is above the water pump, then I'd say the leak is the by pass pipe above the pump. Its only a small alluminum pipe with two O rings at either end, the rings crystallizes and cause a leak. Its really common according to the head mechanic in Bolton. This happened to mine, the part was only 17 pounds.

• 5 weeks later...
i replaced the rings on mine about a year ago - quite easy, but u may also find that the leaking stops after a bit unless the rings are really shot.

Hi fluff34567. Can you elaborate a little please? Mine has been weeping a tiny amount for about 6 months now, so I doubt it will stop on its own.

What parts are required to cure the leak, and can the rings be replaced without removing the water pump?

(Added the following Tuesday 5th June). I've noticed elsewhere on this forum that a technical CD is available on eBay. I have ordered this, so perhaps there is an exploded diagram of the water pump and the tube above it - hope so anyway, but for £5.99 incl. p&p can't go wrong.