Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering buying a used RX at the moment, and was looking around on here but can't seem to find any list of things to look out for when buying one - is there one somewhere that I just can't find and if so could someone point me in the right direction?

I know the obvious things like corroding alloys, etc, and I'm planning to buy from a dealer so there should be less overall risk but just wanted to get an idea of things I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance as always :)

Buying from main dealer covers you for everything except wear and tear through the warranty so you should be perfectly ok! Only thing I noticed is to check the front seat as they wear very badly from getting in and out of the car.

Thanks for that, I did think buying from a dealer should be pretty safe, but just wanted to know whether there are any well known issues on the RX that it might be worth checking before buying the car to save the hassle of trying to get it sorted afterwards.

It seems the spec may have changed on newer cars - on older RXs, what's the difference between an SE and an SE-L? It appears the SE-L has satnav as standard whereas it was an option on the SE, are there any other differences?

There was a spec change end of 2004 where the SE got the adaptive headlights and the SE-L and SE-Nav got Bluetooth; other than that the only diff between a SE-Nav and a SE-L post Nov 2004 was the stereo and the Air suspension.

Considering buying a used RX at the moment, and was looking around on here but can't seem to find any list of things to look out for when buying one - is there one somewhere that I just can't find and if so could someone point me in the right direction?

I know the obvious things like corroding alloys, etc, and I'm planning to buy from a dealer so there should be less overall risk but just wanted to get an idea of things I should be aware of.

did what you are thinking of doing and purchased from main dealer ,had the rx for 10 months and then had to get rid problems are as follows

1 in 4 times for brake issues (pedal sinking to floor)

2 main drive train replaced (clunk noise on overrun)

3 more rattles then a bag of nuts and bolts.

4 front tyres wearing on inner edges.

5 at the time used values were sinking like a stone

traded in for IS250 auto great car and not a single problem to date.

cheers

swager

We bought our RX300 SE (facelift) from a Main Dealer primarily for peace of mind. I think these cars are so full of technology, that if something were to break - you would need to take it to Lexus (havn't come across many Lexus Indys and not sure if I'd trust 'em) for a fix - which given their labour rates would be pricey. S a Lexus Warranty was a must.

But given that Lexus is a relatively 'new' brand here int he UK there doesn't seem to be that much availability of good vehicles in the seocnd hadn market - no real selection. So we opted to buy from Main Dealer with all the benefits therein.

Best advice I can give you is to ask about the history of the car. Our car came with a full 40K service, 4 x brand new Bridgestone tyres, new wiper baldes, replaced rear light cluster, refurb'd alloys and had had all the recalls completed and recent pads on the front etc. etc. - so really we don't have to spend a penny on it until next service. It had only completed circa 36k miles when we bought it.

Becuase I am a purist I changed the pads allround on it (see other thread) but that was because its just me. Buying from a dealer covers you greatly - remember that Lexus offer enhanced coverage for the first 30 days / 1k miles too. If you're buying privately, then you really do need to know the vehicles so you na check for specific stuff.

We have been so impressed and foundt eh RX so easy to lvie with, that come replacement time we'd go with another RX in two years time. Great vehicles :)

got my sc 430 from adt auction needed a good valet and a few dents on boot dentmaster got them out and im now more than satisfied with this sports lux coupe paid £17,950 plus £575.00 indem and £80.00 for dentmaster well cheap car and a valet of course :)

did what you are thinking of doing and purchased from main dealer ,had the rx for 10 months and then had to get rid problems are as follows

1 in 4 times for brake issues (pedal sinking to floor)

2 main drive train replaced (clunk noise on overrun)

3 more rattles then a bag of nuts and bolts.

4 front tyres wearing on inner edges.

5 at the time used values were sinking like a stone

traded in for IS250 auto great car and not a single problem to date.

swager

I thought the RX was supposed to be so reliable. Lexus top of JD Power etc.

What is the 'corroding alloys' problem please??