Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

£430 + vat for a radiator for a 11 year old car and that aint fitted .bill comes to nearly £700 to supply and fit a rad :tsktsk: .and here is the worst bit ,when asked if this is a lexus part i am told yes with out a doubt and if you give us back your old rad we will give you £100 of your bill :blink: .so lets get this right lexus part my :tsktsk: its a recon unit fron someone elses old lexus thats been reconditioned .in my eyes that dos not make it a lexus part.any way bought one from rads direct for £110 inc vat and it looks just like the one i have taken of inc the markings etc ,could it also be a lexus rad thats been reconned .

Had an idea as well ,do you think lexus will still give me £100 for my old unit as then the new rad will have cost me :tsktsk: all. :D .sorry about the rant but after nearly six years of dealing with lexota you think i would be well used to the rip of prices and double standards of the main dealers.still they keep thinking that nice coffee and biscuits masks over the fact their prices are OTT especialy for the older cars .

If, as it would appear, you are already convinced that OEM Lexus parts are a rip-off, I have to ask why you went there in the first place to discuss with them the price of a commodity item like a radiator? And why would a radiator cost less for an older model than for a new one? It's roughly the same size, shape and takes just as much in terms of materials and labour to make...

It's the same everywhere though, a friend got asked for nearly £400 for a Peugeot 306 radiator (fitted); he went to an under-the-arches place and got a pattern part fitted for £150 all in. His brother has the car now and 4 years later it all works fine still. Some parts just aren't worth the cost of OEM.

my point was that it is not an oem part but a recon unit .and tbh why would any one pay £700 to fit a rad ,its just a crazy price ,and the fact they give you £100 back for your old rad just says it all .

Fair enough, but OEM doesn't automatically preclude recon parts. Neither does it mean that your old one will go to produce another 'new' Lexus one - it may be repaired and sold for something else entirely.

I guess it's possible, at least in theory, that it's not a Lexus UK sanctioned activity and the dealer itself makes use of it in another part of their overall business. These dealerships are only franchises, after all...

There's a place near Pontypridd who rebuild car radiators (they'll take the top and bottom sections and fit them to a brand new core).

If anyone's interested I'll see if I can find their details as a mate of mine's used them in the past.

new rad fitted and 200 miles covered since ,all seems well with car .old rad had totaly disintigrated bottom left corner and was very brittle ,hole was about 5 inches square.seems that leaves and dirt gathers in between the two rads and keeps area damp thus rotting rad at bottom .easy job to change took about an hour.i would advise any one with the origanal toyota rad to have a good look at it, as when they go they go big time .rad cost £115 from rads direct on the internet ,good service .

just to stick my nose in here, i got a custom built brass top tank and recored rad (reused bottom tank which also doubles as gear box fluid cooler) for my soarer cost me £150.00 at local rad repair shop,did need old rad to copy top tank , but at least i won't be worried about a top tank splitting again :D

i am starting to think this car knows it is close to going as today i managed to loose one of the tailpipes .five years of trouble free motoring and two proplems in a month ,just shows how good these cars are .partners audi TT has gone wrong four times in the four months she has had it .realy need a diesel car but cant afford the new IS diesel.anyone had any experience of the dare i say it BMW 330D (ducks for cover) as this is no1 on my list as a replacement .

• 3 weeks later...
£430 + vat for a radiator for a 11 year old car and that aint fitted .bill comes to nearly £700 to supply and fit a rad :tsktsk: .and here is the worst bit ,when asked if this is a lexus part i am told yes with out a doubt and if you give us back your old rad we will give you £100 of your bill :blink: .so lets get this right lexus part my :tsktsk: its a recon unit fron someone elses old lexus thats been reconditioned .in my eyes that dos not make it a lexus part.any way bought one from rads direct for £110 inc vat and it looks just like the one i have taken of inc the markings etc ,could it also be a lexus rad thats been reconned .

Had an idea as well ,do you think lexus will still give me £100 for my old unit as then the new rad will have cost me :tsktsk: all. :D .sorry about the rant but after nearly six years of dealing with lexota you think i would be well used to the rip of prices and double standards of the main dealers.still they keep thinking that nice coffee and biscuits masks over the fact their prices are OTT especialy for the older cars .

Hi Mudzs - can you just confirm the address for the company you got the rad off of, mine has finally blown the core today :crybaby: , found a screw in the sidewall of a rear tyre last week so waiting to see what the third thing will be!

A friend of mine has an '06 330D coupe and really rates it, had a tt before and is staggered at the amount of money saved on fuel now. Of course the drivers door handle broke within 4 weeks :D but hey ho, pays yer money etc etc....not that I can laugh what with a new rad and probably 2 tyres now needed :tsktsk:

Dave.

link for rad

Good luck with it it and dont forget gearbox oil cooler is part of the rad as well so plug them pipes quick or loose the oil .

Nice one Mudzs, new rad delivered overnight seemingly identical to original. No probs fitting and yes I found all the road debris between the two trapping moisture. Virtually whole lower third of rad had decayed and was falling out, no wonder it leaked!

Lexus quoted me approx £570 to supply and fit and I've spent a total of £130 for rad and genuine red coolant plus a few hours of my time - outstanding :D

Dave

Glad you got it sorted and avoided the dreaded main dealer .£570 quid makes you sick dont it .seems yours was an identical problem to mine .i would urge anyone with a mk1 Lexus gs300 that has original rad to have a good look at your rad as it will go and let you down no matter what antifreeze it has in it .

But why change to a diesel, surely what you save in fuel you will lose in depreciation?

30,000 miles a year

Petrol and Diesel at £0.95 per litre

5 miles per litre for the Lexus (roughly 22 mpg) so 30,000 / 5 x 0.95 = £5,700

11 miles per litre for a diesel (roughly 50 mpg) so 30,000 / 11 x 0.95 = £2,590

Now if you buy a used BMW 330 at say £15,000 and say you run it for 3 years it will be worth say £5,000. The Lexus is probably worth £4,000 tops and in another 3 years lets say it's worth £1,000

Depreciation for the BMW £10,000 / 3 = £3,333

Depreciation for the Lexus £3,000 / 3 = £1,000

Now this ignores any finance you take out or lack of interest on savings you now blow on the new car. So you can travel in the Lexus and based on 30,000 miles a year it will cost you £6,700 or a diesel BMW and it will cost you £5,923

If you do it on less miles then it's more in favour of the Lexus as the BMW is still going to depreciate like a stone.

to be honest i could do with a change ,got another baby on the way (due in 3 months)and the Lexus although in A1 condition (apart from needing a good valet)is starting to look dated .also would like something with more safety features ,airbags,traction etc.also really begrudge giving ten pound to the government in tax every time i go down the road in fuel .that's not to mention the high insurance group (18) the cost of the tyres etc .not doing myself any favours here selling it am i .Did i mention the boot is only big enough for an umbrella and a briefcase :unsure:

to be honest i could do with a change ,got another baby on the way (due in 3 months)and the Lexus although in A1 condition (apart from needing a good valet)is starting to look dated .also would like something with more safety features ,airbags,traction etc.also really begrudge giving ten pound to the government in tax every time i go down the road in fuel .that's not to mention the high insurance group (18) the cost of the tyres etc .not doing myself any favours here selling it am i .Did i mention the boot is only big enough for an umbrella and a briefcase :unsure:

It's not dated, it's a classic look. As for safety, don't crash and you will be fine.

You've got a point on the tyres and petrol but just got FC cover for £280 on mine.

The boot might not be big but your not supposed to put the children in it.

My Rad is fine.I came across this problem many years ago with my supra so I cleaned out the Lex when I got it and it was full of muck.

As for looking dated, I suggest you go to specsavers. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well having just put mine on the road after 6 months sorned, she is running hot when making progress on the motorway but is fine in traffic.

I recon it's either a sticking thermostat or the radiator is blocked. As it's 10 yrs old it could well be the latter so for just over a ton I might aswell get a new rad.

I chopped in a 328 for the Lexus after trying Mercs, Saabs and so far no problems. Although i enjoyed the BM and fuel was not so much an issue they are not built to the same standard as Lexus and everyman and his dog has one. My mate has his own car electronics / fuel injection business and although he drives a Merc he rates the 330D Bm very highly and he chips them which apparently makes then fly.

My rating for reliability would be :

Lexus

BMW

Saab

Merc

This is on my experiences although i have owned over 300 cars (and 18 bikes) i have not owned many Jap cars.