Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Going out today and the following problem occurred when I started off

Power steering momentarily lost

Battery warning light flashed on along with the low oil light. Hand brake warning light. Low washer level light and brake light out warning light, all these came on then went out, the power steering came back and the A/C light flashes.

Please don't tell me this is an arm and a leg job

TIA

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with my GS300, and I kept driving as I realised that all these circuits couldn't all be faulty and figured maybe an ECU blip, I kept driving, and more circuits went out, radio stopped working, aerial went down, wipers slowed up a lot. Obviously for some reason there was not enough power to keep everything running. Turned out to be the alternator failing.

Changing the alternator is a very easy job, took about 40 minutes and everything working just fine now

This only happens at low speed ie at about 100RPM, any faster and everything works fine.

My suspicions are the belt, as when it was last serviced ( the Biggy, cambelt etc) the belt was an advisory to change within the next 5K.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. The car went into the garage, new belt fitted, Battery checked, OK charging @ 14+ volts, switched A/C on and charge dropped to 12.1 and power steering failed. Switched A/C off and power steering returns.

Put new alternator on, and no difference, the fault is still there, so something is putting an excessive load on the alternator somewhere.

Any more Ideas.

Update. The car went into the garage, new belt fitted, battery checked, OK charging @ 14+ volts, switched A/C on and charge dropped to 12.1 and power steering failed. Switched A/C off and power steering returns.

Put new alternator on, and no difference, the fault is still there, so something is putting an excessive load on the alternator somewhere.

Any more Ideas.

Open a window :tomato:

Got me stumped that one :(

AC compressor locking up causing momentary loss of drive to alternator / ps pump? The GS compressor should dissengage if the speed of the compressor does not correlate to the speed of the engine and cause the ac light to flash. The correct compressor has a speed sensor built in to it. Just a thought

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links