Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying A New Engine !

Hi fellow LOC'ers

looking for some advice/help please

long story short, I've got compression problems with my tezza which looks like it's going to be costly to get fixed. I'm thinking of taking the old engine out and dropping another 1 in, as this is will be the quickest and cheapest way to solve the problem fingers crossed

I have located a replacement engine with some help !! and have sent the seller a message asking for some info about it

it doesn't look like I will be able to go pick it up, so looks like I will have to trust them on insuring a safe delivery

paypal will be the quickest and easiest way to do they payment and the preferred

so my question to you is there any way that I can insure that I will be able to get my money back if the worst happens and I don't receive the engine

could I make the paypal payment with a credit card that offers insurance

this is the 1st time I've had to do something like this so I want to make sure that I've got all the angles covered, so I stand at least some chance of getting some of my my money back if not all

so any advice is more then welcome

many thanks

Robin

Best be very careful with used engines Robin, you may end up with something no better or even worse than what you already have.

I've seen it happen so many times, and the warranties are often not worth the paper they're written on so it could end being more costly.

If at all possible try and get the engine tested before parting with your hard earned :)

I don't know the answer to your Paypal question but I do know a few people who have had their fingers burned (that may be because they were not careful enough).

if u pay by paypal and the item dosnt arrive u can complain to paypal and try and have the money refuned to you . at the same time inform the credit card company .

basicly ud have to make sure ull have the item within 30 days so u can complain and have it sorted

sorry to hear about the engine .

dont buy it with paypal!!!!!!!!!! IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG U DO NOT HAVE A 100% GUARANTEE OF GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK!

have a quick search on the net about paypal refunds - u will see

WHERE is this engine?

Perhaps one of us friendly members nearest to the source could visit. If the seller is reluctant, then ....DON'T BUY! If he's happy to let someone see/question him/check it out, etc, then you can get some assurance? (As £4000+vat ain't cheap to some folk!...Thor engine....good as it is!)

thanks for the reply peeps

I think the Thor engines is right out the window for a start, would be nice tho

I understand this is a risk with dropping a new engine in but it is a bit of a calculated risk as I know what I could lose,

where as doing an engine rebuild could be a bit like writing a blank cheque time labour, parts and vat is added could almost be the price of the thor engine

I've had word back from the seller who has 2 3S-GE's to hand, both claimed to be under 40k

One is a full package while the other is engine only. and Warranty is claimed to be 3 months

I've yet to speak to the seller in person, told him I would call him tuesday afternoon and see what he says

Can anyone think of questions I should be asking

some I've thought of

why was the car written off and how have you got the engine?

can the engine be viewed at all?

can I get the engine tested before purchase?

can I collect the engine?

can I send a courier to collect it with payment on collection?

if the seller is willing to let me get the engine tested before the purchase can anyone recommend somewhere where I can have this done

and what sort of money it would cost if I had to pay for it myself for piece of mind

any ideas/suggestions welcome

£4700?

Surely it's cheaper to rebuild your existing one...or am I talking crap?

As far as paypal/credit card etc etc is concerned, you have to be able to prove the engine was not working as stated...and it probably is working OKish...so I wouldn't hold out on getting any compensation/money back. You'd probably have to go to court and it really would not be worth it!!

Is the seller making any claims about compression, oil consumption, performance etc, is it in a car now? You really need to get it tested by a pukka engineer - it's worth paying someone to do it if you can't.

PS - the engine should have a number on it - make sure you get the one that has been tested...and that the number hasn't been fiddled with...it should be stamped on the block...

thanks for your reply Jamboo

the seller is not making any claim about the 2 engines performance, only saying it they both come from cars with low millage ( under 40k )

I've still yet to talk to the seller about it so don't know if theres any tests done on the engine

I'm considering talking to Janspeed about engine testing, as I know they have the facilities and the experience with the 3S-GE and there only an hour up the road from me which is handy

I'm not jumping into buying it just yet as i wanna talk to as many people as pos

some say re-build some say drop a new block in

both could have pro's and con's and this is something I can really only afford to once, otherwise it'll prob be the case of selling all the mods to pay for any more work

I was talking to a friend today about it, and he may know someone who maybe able to help me with any rebuild work on the engine which is good news and at a reasonable rate

it's a private rally team who he uses to service his car, so we gonna have a chat with them and see what they say and if they can help in any way before buying a 2nd hand 1, it maybe the case of them doing all the mechanical work then get it checked over to make sure everything is running as it should be

PS - the engine should have a number on it - make sure you get the one that has been tested...and that the number hasn't been fiddled with...it should be stamped on the block...

Logic would say that but there is no engine number on a 3SGE.

the seller is not making any claim about the 2 engines performance, only saying it they both come from cars with low millage ( under 40k )

I saw those as well mate and the one with the ECU is in Lerwick! How much to pack and ship an engine from Shetland.

I saw those as well mate and the one with the ECU is in Lerwick! How much to pack and ship an engine from Shetland.

I know mate it's not the most reassuring place to buy an engine from :lol:

Really sorry to hear about the engine hope you get it sorted as soon as possible without much trouble.

If you do end up swapping the engine you may as well put a turbo in there as well :D

it's starting to look like a rebuild could be on the books

I've found someone who is willing to look at the car for me which is good

just got to start to look for parts now

head gasket kit, head bolts, timing belt piston rings ect

does any body know where I will be able to buy these bits from :unsure:

thanks for the reply peeps

I think the Thor engines is right out the window for a start, would be nice tho

I understand this is a risk with dropping a new engine in but it is a bit of a calculated risk as I know what I could lose,

where as doing an engine rebuild could be a bit like writing a blank cheque time labour, parts and vat is added could almost be the price of the thor engine

I've had word back from the seller who has 2 3S-GE's to hand, both claimed to be under 40k

One is a full package while the other is engine only. and Warranty is claimed to be 3 months

I've yet to speak to the seller in person, told him I would call him tuesday afternoon and see what he says

Can anyone think of questions I should be asking

some I've thought of

why was the car written off and how have you got the engine?

can the engine be viewed at all?

can I get the engine tested before purchase?

can I collect the engine?

can I send a courier to collect it with payment on collection?

if the seller is willing to let me get the engine tested before the purchase can anyone recommend somewhere where I can have this done

and what sort of money it would cost if I had to pay for it myself for piece of mind

any ideas/suggestions welcome

I would say if the seller is providing you with 3 months warranty theres a pretty good chance the motor is fine, its not likely if the engine is muller'd it has a 3 month time'd bomb till it blows!

As you know Rob, i pick'd up a low mileage motor for mine for a bargain price ;) The seller let me do all checks, apart from not seeing it running its a perfect :)

Personally i'd just get the motor, and i would not settle on paying him what the ad price is, haggle... but thats my middle name ;)

it's starting to look like a rebuild could be on the books

I've found someone who is willing to look at the car for me which is good

just got to start to look for parts now

head gasket kit, head bolts, timing belt piston rings ect

does any body know where I will be able to buy these bits from :unsure:

Becareful!

If you can get a engineers workshop manual. I have one of the head rebuild which i paid to get translated.. cost me a fortune! (30 pages odd)

Head set, which will inc. every gasket. seal on the head is around £100

Head bolts, £70 for the set

cambelt, £30

Tensioners, £100-150 for the lot (1 tensioner, 2 idlers)

Piston rings, no idea...

PM Chris S for prices on other parts...

All i will say is, DO NOT take apart the cam wheels. its very easy to take them apart as dismantling them from one of the castings that goes on the head can be tricky, and it may appear that the only way is to loosen the bolts on the camwheels... u have to a little to get to the 2 10mm bolts holding that casting to the head...

If the camwheels come apart, your better off buying brand new assembled ones, around £100each!!

VVTi is a pain the *****! :tomato: