Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h Decision Time

I’ve returned to this web site after a couple of years absence as I’m coming up to 3 years as a RX300 owner, it’s decision time. Get another Lexus? Keep the RX300 (I’ve only done 15k), change to something completely different?

My wife wants a Range Rover Sport (I must admit it’s pretty good inside), I want an RX400h. I’ve been reading through the forum and I had a test drive in the SE-L on Saturday (05May07).

I was quite impressed with how nippy it was, compared to my RX300 which now seems quite sluggish in comparison. I love the Multimedia controls and that visual which shows how the power is being handled (you can see I like my toys). A very impressive car. Now I’ve just got to convince my wife.

I’ve taken a look at the “drivethedeal” web site and they quote 40,583 for a 45,294 SE-L, which the dealer said is impossible to match. I got a feeling that my RX300 will be given a trade in value between 18,000 and 19,000.

What I was wondering is has anyone every tried “drivethedeal”? Is it really as easy as they make out? What don’t they provide that a Lexus dealer would?

If the dealer tells you it's impossible to match that's total bollox !!!

They are allowed to give 10% without even referring it to anyone/body... They can do it if they want to !!

I'm not saying what discount I got on my new GS but it was better than 10% !!!!! ;) ;)

Press them hard or walk away and go to another dealer !!!

Drive the Deal is ok but dealers can do better !!!!

The Ed

They are allowed to give 10% without even referring it to anyone/body... They can do it if they want to !!

The Ed

That's good to know, also I'm a returning customer, that must count for something?

But what about the other end, "the trade in price"?

On a 15,000 mile, "04" RX300 SE with SatNav. Can I expect over 20k for this? or am I being to greedy.

I'm trying to get the difference between a new 400h SE-L and a 300 SE near to 20k if I can.

By I find selling second hand a bit of a pain, it's always nice to walk in with the "old" set of keys and walk out with the "new" set of keys - hassle free life.

What about lead times? are they real or are they a dealer's ruse?

There's always a 12 week waiting list, there was three years ago. But then a few phone calls followed by a database search and they've got one available.

I can never quite work out if there's some mind games at play or not

Fabben

I do a lot of work for Lexus on the marketing side and I know that they are doing very well on hybrids at the moment: so well in fact that there is a three month delay minimum on all hybrid models.

Apparently the captains of Industry who used to drive Bentlys and the like are now demonstrating their green credentials by opting for LS600H's: the order bank for the new model was at 104 a few weeks back. When the last LS was launched at the equivalent time the order bank was...errr......zero.

I do a lot of work for Lexus on the marketing side and I know that they are doing very well on hybrids at the moment: so well in fact that there is a three month delay minimum on all hybrid models.

If they have full order book for Hybrids (which I don't doubt) how can anyone get a discount, given the laws of supply and demand?

I just check "driveTheDeal" and they're still offering a £4,711 saving on an 400h SE-L.

If I try the same thing for an 2.0litre Audi TT (also with a 3 month waiting list) the saving is a mere £24.75.

just curious

I’ve returned to this web site after a couple of years absence as I’m coming up to 3 years as a RX300 owner, it’s decision time. Get another Lexus? Keep the RX300 (I’ve only done 15k), change to something completely different?

My wife wants a Range Rover Sport (I must admit it’s pretty good inside), I want an RX400h. I’ve been reading through the forum and I had a test drive in the SE-L on Saturday (05May07).

I was quite impressed with how nippy it was, compared to my RX300 which now seems quite sluggish in comparison. I love the Multimedia controls and that visual which shows how the power is being handled (you can see I like my toys). A very impressive car. Now I’ve just got to convince my wife.

I’ve taken a look at the “drivethedeal” web site and they quote 40,583 for a 45,294 SE-L, which the dealer said is impossible to match. I got a feeling that my RX300 will be given a trade in value between 18,000 and 19,000.

What I was wondering is has anyone every tried “drivethedeal”? Is it really as easy as they make out? What don’t they provide that a Lexus dealer would?

They claim the car will come from a main Lexus Dealer. UK spec etc. What worries me is why Lexus are selling at £5k off on internet sites. If it is selling well why do this and wreck our residuals. I had hoped that Lexus would avoid this sort of thing. My local dealer has a showroom and servicing that cost £8.5 million. How can he compete with internet sites with no great overheads and hefty discounts, presumably from Lexus direct as my dealer says he does not get the margins that internet guys are offering as discounts.

They claim the car will come from a main Lexus Dealer. UK spec etc. What worries me is why Lexus are selling at £5k off on internet sites. If it is selling well why do this and wreck our residuals. I had hoped that Lexus would avoid this sort of thing. My local dealer has a showroom and servicing that cost £8.5 million. How can he compete with internet sites with no great overheads and hefty discounts, presumably from Lexus direct as my dealer says he does not get the margins that internet guys are offering as discounts.

All Drivethedeal is doing is finding a dealer who'll offer the best price - presumably in return for a small referral fee. If you called every lexus dealer and pushed hard I guess you should get a similar price.

All Drivethedeal is doing is finding a dealer who'll offer the best price - presumably in return for a small referral fee. If you called every lexus dealer and pushed hard I guess you should get a similar price.

That could be. Shall I offer £5 to your favourite charity if you find one. The one's I asked say they cannot get anywhere near £5k off the hybrid. That makes me think Lexus is supplying the internet somehow. Not fair to dealers. Horrible for residuals.

Drivethedeal is not just a website - give them a call! When I was looking for my car I gave them a call - in the end wanted one sooner so bought used from a dealer - if you aren't in a hurry then you shouldn't have a problem with the 3-4 week lead time I guess. However, then you'll have to find a private sale of the RX300.

Drivethedeal is not just a website - give them a call! When I was looking for my car I gave them a call - in the end wanted one sooner so bought used from a dealer - if you aren't in a hurry then you shouldn't have a problem with the 3-4 week lead time I guess. However, then you'll have to find a private sale of the RX300.

Is the 3-4 weeks correct with "drivethedeal" Lexus are quoting 12-14 weeks. Can "drivethedeal" get them quicker?

Is the 3-4 weeks correct with "drivethedeal" Lexus are quoting 12-14 weeks. Can "drivethedeal" get them quicker?

All very odd. Click special offers and every day there are Lexus at £5000 off new list price.

By the way, you say 12-14 weeks delivery from dealers; isn't that the normal lead time for factory orders given they have to be shipped over?? That is standard lead time on factory ordered Merc 4x4 which comes from the USA.

- it's the same Lexus dealers we see around our towns who sell via "drivethedeal" - call a few dealers and get the best price and do the deal!! Run one off against another - why not? The amount you'll save could pay for a carribean cruise!

My dealer immediately matched the "drivethedeal" price - no questions - on an IS220d before it was even launched - most buyers were not gettig a discount, I got £1147 off just like that!!

You'll be surprised - especially when May and November (according to the trade) are normally the 2 quietest months of the year or new cars!!

When I bought my Lexus, I used Drive The Deal as a guide then tried to beat it. It was quite easy. I emailed every single Lexus dealer in the UK with the car that I wanted and asked them to quote their best price. Of course some wouldn't play ball, but I did end up with about 5 dealers quoting very reduced prices to me. They even invited me to come back to them if the price was beaten. It took a while to get all the email addresses - you have to visit each dealer;s site, but the result was worth it. The whole process took less than a week.

When I bought my Lexus, I used Drive The Deal as a guide then tried to beat it. It was quite easy. I emailed every single Lexus dealer in the UK with the car that I wanted and asked them to quote their best price. Of course some wouldn't play ball, but I did end up with about 5 dealers quoting very reduced prices to me. They even invited me to come back to them if the price was beaten. It took a while to get all the email addresses - you have to visit each dealer;s site, but the result was worth it. The whole process took less than a week.

I think the point you are all missing is that discounting is the death of good residuals. I am thinking about buying a RX400h but am put off by the Ford-like discounts available. Ford killed the new Jaguar in the US by giving big discounts and ruining residuals. Don't want to see that on Lexus, surely.

RX400h SE-L update

emailed about 18 dealerships and asked for then to match "drivethedeal" on the road price if 41k. I found that you have to be careful as if you contact Lexus Edgware Road and Lexus Croydon, then you effectively contacting the same dealership, which in this case would be Jemca. So my emails went to seperate underlying dealerships.

Of the 18, 11 replied 3 said yes, 2 said no,1 went over by 400 pounds. All quoted about 8-9 week delivery times. I decided to go for 42k price as they had my colour combo in stock and unregistered, I'll pick it up at the end on the month, 31MAY07. And I got the boot liner for nothing but not the 3 years service.

So overall quite pleased with my 8.39% discount.

The only downside is my "04" RX300 SE isn't generating any interest on here. I'm not confident about selling on eBay or auto-trader. So that leaves the dealers trade in price of 18k, which I think is quite low. But I suppose you can't have everything

Fabben