Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This Is Really Sad..but

Hey last night I was really bored, so I thought hey why not play the playstation and play GT3 so I can drive the Toyota altezza round and pretend it’s a Lexus IS200...

But hears the interesting bit, as I went to buy it, it tells u a little about the car..to summarize it said if this car looks familiar to European eyes that’s because its rebranded as the Lexus IS200(which I knew) but then it said that’s its only got a 4 cylinder engine compared to the Lexus 6,but it also said that its a lot quicker and has 200bhp+

How does that work if they have the same engine and the Lexus has more cylinders shouldn’t it be quicker?

I'm. Lost. For. Words.

Engines are different hence 4 cylinders vs 6. Is200 is a low(er) powered car with the straight 6 for smoothness and to tick a box against a 3 series, power always being a major flaw. Altezza more performance orientated

More cylinders doesn't always equal more power, nor does displacement.

They're not the same engine. The Altezza is built more for speed and the Japanese have a habbit of making faster versions of the uk cars that they sell.

Also normally having more cylinders doesnt mean the car is going to be quicker it just normally means the top speed will be better.

Also i believe the sound of the engine is nicer in the IS :D

I'm. Lost. For. Words.

Engines are different hence 4 cylinders vs 6. Is200 is a low(er) powered car with the straight 6 for smoothness and to tick a box against a 3 series, power always being a major flaw. Altezza more performance orientated

Yep. The straight 6 is considered the best configuration for engine smoothness. A 4 pot can be very rough which wouldn't suit the Lexus image at all.

I'm. Lost. For. Words.

Yep. The straight 6 is considered the best configuration for engine smoothness. A 4 pot can be very rough which wouldn't suit the Lexus image at all.

My mates got a 2.0 liter a4 but thats got 4 cylinders, which would be more likely to win a race?

Apart from the obvious of not racing etc the IS200 as standard is not a fast car by any stretch so I wouldn't go drag racing up the strip, you'll probably be neck and neck with the A4 as the stats are very similar.

Best to cruise and listen to the nice soundtrack as you could end up being a bit :blush: is you start baiting people to race, most things you'll meet up with will be as fast or faster unless they are crappy chav mobiles with bodykits.

"Apart from the obvious of not racing etc the IS200 as standard is not a fast car by any stretch so I wouldn't go drag racing up the strip, you'll probably be neck and neck with the A4 as the stats are very similar"

:lol:

only until you get to the nearest petrol station, then the IS will have to pull in

:o

you all say the lexus is not a quick car, yet i drive a 1.4 206 at the mo and when i put my foot down it can be quite nippy.. Yet when we look at the figures the lexus is 3 seconds quicker to 60 and has an extra 25mph at top end..and im sure if i was crusing next to a IS200 in 5th gear at 50mph and he was likewise. If we both put our foot down i'd expect the IS to pull away a hell of a lot quicker..

So my point is although it might not seem quick to you anymore, it will be very quick to me when i pick mine up.

you all say the lexus is not a quick car, yet i drive a 1.4 206 at the mo and when i put my foot down it can be quite nippy.. Yet when we look at the figures the lexus is 3 seconds quicker to 60 and has an extra 25mph at top end..and im sure if i was crusing next to a IS200 in 5th gear at 50mph and he was likewise. If we both put our foot down i'd expect the IS to pull away a hell of a lot quicker..

So my point is although it might not seem quick to you anymore, it will be very quick to me when i pick mine up.

I think the point is to compare like for like, the Lexus will be quicker against a small car with a little engine but that's a bit like saying you can drive faster than I can run so you're quicker :tomato:

Comparing similar size or target models (lower end 3 series, higher end Mondeo etc)then they could be fairly considered in the slower end of the scale. The point is having one and feeling good about it, if you want speed then it'd need to be S/C or Turbo, IS300 or a 'tezza.

I think the IS is fast enough and i really enjoy it when i need to put my foot down as it never struggles even in 6th.

I had a Clio 1.8 16v before which to it's credit is pretty quick and before that a skyline R32 with 300bhp but the IS is so much better in everyway!!

You will luv the speed especially if your coming from a 1.4 206. Also even though it's not the fastest car in the world it is one of the best sounding in it's class as standard. You also look really good driving so why the need to fly past people :lol:

Happy motoring then mate

The problem being with the IS200 is that the engine does not spring into life until 4500RPM, Now when you are looking at statistics from 0-60 this is going to look fairly slow.

Now if you are in the correct gear sitting at 50 and you plant it, its going to be as quick as all the rest if not quicker in its league.

When people on here is on about it being slow what i think they are on about is that the engine takes so long to kick in and if you are in a hurry you need to keep on the gearbox as cut-out is at 6000RPM so you only have 1500RPM in each gear that you are really pulling in.

But the thing with the Lexus is that you can drop a gear to overtake and you get a smooth response of power

Do i sound like a saleman :shutit:

I was about to sign on the dotted line :lol:

Your right though it is slow until 4500 but it's great after that and once your past that mark you can keep it above so you get the power straight away!

I really do luv my car :wub:

The problem being with the IS200 is that the engine does not spring into life until 4500RPM, Now when you are looking at statistics from 0-60 this is going to look fairly slow.

Now if you are in the correct gear sitting at 50 and you plant it, its going to be as quick as all the rest if not quicker in its league.

When people on here is on about it being slow what i think they are on about is that the engine takes so long to kick in and if you are in a hurry you need to keep on the gearbox as cut-out is at 6000RPM so you only have 1500RPM in each gear that you are really pulling in.

But the thing with the Lexus is that you can drop a gear to overtake and you get a smooth response of power

Do i sound like a saleman :shutit:

More like a mechanic lol, im not really after a great deal of speed as i wont be racing, i just want to know that its quicker than my car(bloody should hope so) and that its got power at 50-60 when im driving down the motorway.

the things i like so much about the lexus are...Luxury, Looks and prestige.

Dont worry about it being quicker than your old car i can confirm that it is. My friends got a 206 1.4 and it cant compete.

Motorway driving is a joy and you never have to change from 6th, they do pull well when you need it to!

Dont worry about it being quicker than your old car i can confirm that it is. My friends got a 206 1.4 and it cant compete.

Motorway driving is a joy and you never have to change from 6th, they do pull well when you need it to!

good good, thats what i like to hear.

ta

Dave