Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Had The Cambelt Done....

Just had the camblet done.....£70 :D

Anyway, luckily I purchased a belt tensioner at the same time as, the garage that did it showed me the state of my belt! :crying::crying: :shutit: The belt was about a third of the width!!

The tensioner had more or less shot it and had been causing the belt to rub along something which basically nearly erroded the belt!

So little warning to other fellow members who have been thinking about have their cambelt done without the tensioner.....another 100 miles and I think by the state of my belt and it would have snapped!

Im a happy chappy now though :P

Where did u get that price from!!!! Lexus in Bristol quoted me £356 last week!!!! Plus how many miles have u done because i know lexus say it should be done at 6 years or 100,000miles ive on 6 years this autumn but only 70,000 so was planning to save up and get it done later on in the year!

I bought the belt and tensioner. £70 was just labour. Lol, didnt realise you'd be more concerned about the price of the work and not the little warning! :lol:

Oh, its just done under 100k miles, on a 51 plate.

I bought the belt and tensioner. £70 was just labour. Lol, didnt realise you'd be more concerned about the price of the work and not the little warning! :lol:

for a minute then i thought id bought a cheap car to look after! :lol:

for a minute then i thought id bought a cheap car to look after! :lol:

Only if you look at from the point of view of no repair bills..... :D

£70 :tsktsk: which garage was that at. it cost me £742 to have the cam belt, tensioner, engine serviced and air con re gassed all done at 100,000 miles by lexus. the labour was the dear part

my local garage charges me 22 quid an hour

Can't complain at that at all! Think its just a case of finding a garage that you can A) Trust and B) Get good value service. Difficult I know.....

B)-->

QUOTE(Tom B @ May 10 2007, 08:58 PM)

Where did u get that price from!!!! Lexus in Bristol quoted me £356 last week!!!! Plus how many miles have u done because i know lexus say it should be done at 6 years or 100,000miles ive on 6 years this autumn but only 70,000 so was planning to save up and get it done later on in the year!

It's 6 years or 60,000 miles. It used to be 10 years or 100,000 miles but they changed it.

Gald you got belt sorted before any problems, i've been quoted £170 for cam belt change so i'm happy with that. :D

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom B @ May 10 2007, 08:58 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

It's 6 years or 60,000 miles. It used to be 10 years or 100,000 miles but they changed it.

Gald you got belt sorted before any problems, i've been quoted £170 for cam belt change so i'm happy with that. :D

Round we go again...

Some dealers still quote 10 yrs or 100k

But they say that they check the belt every year from yr 6.

If people are unsure, talk to your dealers.

Good price for a belt change, def worth shopping around when the time comes.

Good point Kazi, getting my belts & tensioner changed at same time the s/c is going on car is six years anyway so due a change. Got all the parts of Dave, decent price & fast delivery :D

Alright mate, 70 Pounds labour sounds about right, Its only a couple of hours of a job, I work in a garage and I did my own, I was surprised how easy i was. Lexus are a bit of a rip off I think. To do the belt I had to remove the radiator so make sure they add some fresh anti-freeze in.

PS I did my belt at 80000 miles and there was a big chunk missing out of the belt, its worth doing early

To be fair though, £145 for the cambelt including bits is spot on! :D

My only gripe is hideous road tax and petrol consumption.....

Hideous road tax. You don't know how lucky you are over there. In Ireland we pay €539 (about £380) a year road tax.

Good point Kazi, getting my belts & tensioner changed at same time the s/c is going on car is six years anyway so due a change. Got all the parts of Dave, decent price & fast delivery :D

n all fairness though Bob you car is hardly run in yet :hehe:

To be fair, I was going to get it done at the last service......9k miles later and it get done.....glad I didnt leave it any longer! When I spoke to Lexus Leics they said they have only ever had one go.....so I want overly concerned...

I did have other quotes for just the labour....and they ranged from £90 to £140.....

Again, Leicester said 100k or 6 years and you should change the belt....

Kazi, excuse me, but do you have the part # for the tensioner? Where I am at, that # is worth millions. There isn't a lexus dealership and the Toyota dealership keeps those part numbers in a vault somewhere. :ph34r:

thanks.................trinilex

Kazi, excuse me, but do you have the part # for the tensioner? Where I am at, that # is worth millions. There isn't a lexus dealership and the Toyota dealership keeps those part numbers in a vault somewhere. :ph34r:

thanks.................trinilex

I'll sell it to you for £350,000 ! :lol:

i need to get mine changed soon, might do it next week.

anyone know where i can get the parts from? or the part numbers?

i usually get my parts from eurocarparts.com but unsurpisingly they dont do jap cars. :(

also, seeing as the engine is going to be carved open, what else should i get done?

water pump, belt tensioner, belt itself, belt idler... anything else?