Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi From A Wet And Windy Scotland, Plus A Few Questions.

I have just got a 1992 LS400 with 113,000 miles and full Lexus service history, i always wanted one and picked this one up to keep the miles down on the rest of my cars.

I have to say the built quality is everything i was expecting, truly stunning, it has a years MOT and 6 month tax, and has just had the brakes renewed front and back as well.

It was a 1020 mile trek to go down and bring the car back up, but it was worth it when i saw the car, it is in silver with a sort of denim blue interior.

The only slight concern i have is the car rides superbly until it goes over a patch of broken tar or a motorway expansion joint and i get quite a loud thump noise from the front suspension, no rattle , nor can you fell anything through the suspension or steering, just the noise, it is like the tyres are pumped up to 43psi instead of 33psi :blink: .

The only things that i will have to put right are the passengers headlight is pointing to the ground and i will have to find out how to adjust them, the drivers door will unlock but not lock the central door locking, which i take it will be a switch on the lock, i have no remote for the car and i don't know if i will be able to buy one or not and i will have to get a replacement for the dreaded temp/clock LCD display, also i will need to get a Drivers manual for the car so i can figure out how to work some of the goodies on the car :D .

Sorry for the long ramble for a first post.

I have just got a 1992 LS400 with 113,000 miles and full Lexus service history, i always wanted one and picked this one up to keep the miles down on the rest of my cars.

I have to say the built quality is everything i was expecting, truly stunning, it has a years MOT and 6 month tax, and has just had the brakes renewed front and back as well.

It was a 1020 mile trek to go down and bring the car back up, but it was worth it when i saw the car, it is in silver with a sort of denim blue interior.

The only slight concern i have is the car rides superbly until it goes over a patch of broken tar or a motorway expansion joint and i get quite a loud thump noise from the front suspension, no rattle , nor can you fell anything through the suspension or steering, just the noise, it is like the tyres are pumped up to 43psi instead of 33psi :blink: .

The only things that i will have to put right are the passengers headlight is pointing to the ground and i will have to find out how to adjust them, the drivers door will unlock but not lock the central door locking, which i take it will be a switch on the lock, i have no remote for the car and i don't know if i will be able to buy one or not and i will have to get a replacement for the dreaded temp/clock LCD display, also i will need to get a Drivers manual for the car so i can figure out how to work some of the goodies on the car :D .

Hi, Welcome to LOC.I did the reverse of your adventure,living in the south,bought my car from Perth.The knocking noise i'm afraid will almost certainly be the upper control arms, bushes. Had mine done last year (140k) at a small independant garage which cost £700. If you could do the job yourself , there is always a seller on eBay with a buy it now of £380 (i'll find out how to insert a link one day!).As fot the remote fob,I would hazard a guess that the alarm/immobiliser was not working and has been bypassed. The alarms on these models were fitted by an independent company when the cars reached the UK.This company has now ceased trading and even Lexus themselves were unable to repair mine.Do you really need the alarm/immobiliser? I know the insurance company will ask if one is fitted,but ,its not really the car that joyriders or pro thieves would target.Can't advise on your other issues,but i'm sure a search on LOC will prove fruitful. Enjoy your Lex. Graham.

Welcome!

I think your suspension issue could be the anti roll bar bushes, I had some similar clunks untill I changed mine recently, they are cheap and anly take 30 mins / side to change so well worth changing.

Try going over a speed bump slowly, if you get a creak from the front then it's almost guaranteed that the bushes are worn.

Headlights are easy to adjust, just pop the bonne and you'll see a hole in the black plastic about12-15mm dia with a posi head /hex head inside, it works a worm/wheel arangement lower down to adjust.

If your car is 1992 your key should have the central locking button on the side, do you have more than 1 key? the car comes with 2 button keys and 1 non button key when new.

Enjoy the old girl, treat her to regular oil and she'll go on forever!

Thanks for the welcome, i will have a look at the anti roll bushes on Monday, as there is no rattle or clunk, you just get the thump/clump noise almost like tyre slap, it is like the noise you get when you slap your hand down on a flat surface, not mechanical noise like metal on metal.

A quick one, on my BMW 735i's the tyres on the back are bigger than on the front, would this give better grip on the Lexus or upset the balance, or should i go from a 205 tyre all round to a 225 tyre.

Thanks for the welcome, i will have a look at the anti roll bushes on Monday, as there is no rattle or clunk, you just get the thump/clump noise almost like tyre slap, it is like the noise you get when you slap your hand down on a flat surface, not mechanical noise like metal on metal.

A quick one, on my BMW 735i's the tyres on the back are bigger than on the front, would this give better grip on the Lexus or upset the balance, or should i go from a 205 tyre all round to a 225 tyre.

The soarer import which is basically a 2 door coupe LS, has wider rears than fronts, should work on the LS too, I have 235 x 35 x 18's and that tyre width with little wall flex does promote some tram lining. :blush:

If you are running the S1 15" wheels I's stick to the 205's or get a cheap set of the S2 16's with tyres on them, often gong cheap on flea bay.

Welcome to the LOC Mate, the LS400 just goes on and on, happy motoring.

Mark

I managed to get my headlight adjusted today, thanks Alex.

The car only came with one key and i will have to get another cut, the key is just a plain one, cut last year by Lexus, as the owner lost his keys in a house fire. The red security light still comes on when i lock the car, does anyone know if this is just an immobiliser or the alarm as well.

I am going to have a look at the drivers lock switch to see if i can get the central door locking working from that door and i will get one of the remote central locking kits from eBay as well and install it when i find the central locking ECU.

One last question, does anyone know if Lexus will still have any owner manuals, or will i just have to keep a look out on eBay for one.

Hi and welcome to LOC.

I tried to obtain the owners manual for my 94 LS model and Lexus no longer produce them so your 92 is probably the same.

I got one from the US and there are only a few differences the most obvious being it's for the LHD model.

Worth a search on eBay.com but put the model year in the search as there are a lot of listings to go through otherwise.

Happy LS motoring,

Steve

If the red light's on the alarm is working.

just try it by getting somone to press dewn the boot close light switch (so car thinks boot is shut) then lock the doors, wait a few secs then let go of the switch...

Thanks for that, i will try it tomorrow, i take it that it works from the passengers and drivers door and the alarm will go off/reset itself when the car is unlocked by the key, i really need to get a manual for the car :)

I tried Alex suggestion and the alarm works, is the alarm only a current drop or is there sensors for movement in the car as well.

I am going to get one of the remote central locking kits of eBay and use that, so does anyone know where the central locking ECU is on the LS400.