Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mirror Shake On My Brand New Lexus - Wtf!

Picked up my Lexus today - 220d Sport with the MM package. What a great car! The hand over was great, no champagne though. Never mind, everything else was good, the car was prepared well, Suparguarded etc etc.

Drove away from the dealer - late afternoon (after service dept. had finished for the day) and noticed that the rear view mirror was vibrating quite violently. At higher speeds on the motorway it is very difficult to see what is behind me.

I have read a few similar threads on here. Has anyone had this problem resolved? New mirror, adjustment...?

Apart from this minor problem, the car is fantastic. I'll post some pics tomorrow if it's not raining.

Pleased to see you are happy with the car. I believe the mirror rattle is caused by the diesel under the bonnet. Don't recall anybody getting it fixed. I remember when I had a diesel courtesy car it did the same - very annoying at some speeds when you want to see behind :(

I remember when I had a diesel courtesy car it did the same

Stealership also provided me with a diesel courtesy car and I experienced the same problem with the vibrating mirror- really annoying. Never had it with the SE-L so it must be attributed to the harmonics associated with the diesel engine, as the mirror fitment must be the same in both petrol and diesel models.

I test drove a base model IS220d and found the rear view mirror vibration at 70mph awful. It was partly due to the engine labouring in 6th. The salesman said the mirror shouldn't do that (though I'm guessing that they all do) so I'd complain. I actually found the mirror on my sport is better, although it does still vibrate, probably because of the better gear ratios.

Thanks for your comments. I'll phone the dealer tomorrow and see what they can do about it. This is obviously a common problem that Lexus must surely know about?? With the health and safety that's built in to the Lexus - can't set a destination whilst driving, can't use the telephone key pad whilst driving etc etc you'd think they would bloody sort out the fact that you can't use your rear view mirror whilst driving!!!! :angry:

I test drove a IS220D on Friday for a couple of hours. The mirror did vibrate at certain rpm but it certainly wasn't bad enough to put me off buying the car. The demo model had 1200 miles on the clock and performed very well - 65 70 mph in top no problem, no having to change down on motorway hills (I found some steep ones to try). All in all very impressive. The only real negative is that the gearchange could be better but it is acceptable.

Going back to the mirror I have had this on some other cars and the IS I drove was no worse and certainly no real problem. Maybe a tight new model vibrates more.

If I remember the mirror has 2 ball joints - poor design. 2 weak points - so the diesel vibration comes through.

The mountings of the engine in my view do a great job, but the vibration dissipates through the body and the windscreen (which normally adds to/enhances body ridgity).

PS - its a standard extra

Maybe the 330d is perfect but thats not what I heard. Of the two guys I know who have them one describes his as a piece of **** as it seems to be in the workshop time and time again with electrical/electronic problems. The other guy is more complimentary but concedes to having several issues. B)

Seems nothing is perfect in this world. :sad:

This vibrating mirror is a joke. It's not fit for purpose and they'll have to fix it!!!!

Apart from that though, the car is amazing. I have had the 3 series BMW, an old 328, the newer 330d and the E46 M3 convertible - I had numerous problems with all of them. Not least the M3 - new engine, 2 clutches, new diff, rattles from just about everywhere etc etc.

I've got to say, the build quality of the Lexus looks far superior!!

This vibrating mirror is a joke. It's not fit for purpose and they'll have to fix it!!!!

Apart from that though, the car is amazing. I have had the 3 series BMW, an old 328, the newer 330d and the E46 M3 convertible - I had numerous problems with all of them. Not least the M3 - new engine, 2 clutches, new diff, rattles from just about everywhere etc etc.

I had new engine, clutch, flywheel, 3 sets of wheels, new front bumper, new rear lip, 3 or 4 coilpacks not bad for 26k 03 plate is200 sport from new :o And it spent over 5 WEEKS with lexus GB :o mirror was ok mind

I had same problem and it seems fine now and had car 3 wks so i put the mirror up as high as possible on both ball joints that reduces.

Not only that is also the bass on the back parcel shelf caused some problems but it seems fine these days

I had new engine, clutch, flywheel, 3 sets of wheels, new front bumper, new rear lip, 3 or 4 coilpacks not bad for 26k 03 plate is200 sport from new :o And it spent over 5 WEEKS with lexus GB :o mirror was ok mind

I'll trade you anything for that mirror :hehe:

I'll trade you anything for that mirror :hehe:

:lol::lol: :winky: nice one mate :D

I had same problem and it seems fine now and had car 3 wks so i put the mirror up as high as possible on both ball joints that reduces.

Not only that is also the bass on the back parcel shelf caused some problems but it seems fine these days

Thanks. I'll ask the dealer to adjust it. They must be able to do something to make it better!

I have the Sport and Mine shaked as well and after a number of days took it back to the dealer and they resolved it. That was over 9 months ago and my mirror now shakes worse than ever before.........Other visit to the dealer......

Phoned my local Lexus dealer today and spoke to the service department. Lexus GB are aware of the mirror shake problem (especially on the diesel model) and they are working on a fix - should be done within a a couple of weeks. They will then either recall cars or fit the new mirror fixing when cars come in for service/appoinments.

A result!!!!! :D

Phoned my local Lexus dealer today and spoke to the service department. Lexus GB are aware of the mirror shake problem (especially on the diesel model) and they are working on a fix - should be done within a a couple of weeks. They will then either recall cars or fit the new mirror fixing when cars come in for service/appoinments.

A result!!!!! :D

This is really great news! :)

No problems on my 250 Sport, which is probably why i didn't buy a diesel.

I wasn't going to be quite so brutal but its true, the only solution is the petrol engine as the diesel vibrates too much. If you are buying diesels because of fuel economy, on a good run I am now getting late 30s mpg. On my previous 220d I would get early 40s. so I don't think the extra 5 mpg is worth it frankly. The car is mine so I had a choice and I chose for a replacement car the petrol 250 auto.

I have had my new one for 3 weeks now so would expect fuel consumption to rise.

Really really love the engine.