Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Weird Vibrations

Ok, I've got a problem with my IS200 thats been going on for a while now and I need to get it sorted once and for all...lets see what you guys think!!

At 2500rpm I get a vibration running through the car...any gear, any speed as long as the rpms stay at 2500. Below and above that figure the car is fine....the vibrations can also be felt through decceleration.

It also happens when the car is stationary and out of gear, which rules out most of the serious things!!

Now as most will know the S/C pulley is bolted to the water pump, mine was shagged so I got TDi to replace the water pump for me...this reduced the vibrations a lot, but it didn't get rid of them completely!! I have also replaced the pulley itself but that hasn't helped much either!!

Now comes the fun part, if you take the S/C belt off and rev the engine, nothing at all...the rise and fall of the rpms are perfect!! So my S/C was swapped for a new one just to test...this still had no effect on the vibrations so that also rules out the need for a new S/C unit!!

What could be left to check??? I've been racking my brains but need some input now from people that know the engine setup a bit better!!

Thanks in advance!! Neil :)

when they swapped the cs unit did they also swap the tensioner assy - its unlikely that would cause vibration thru the whole car but u never know it could be amplified somehow...

Thanks for the reply Rob...hmm...if I remember rightly the tensioner did seem to have a bit of play in it! Do you think TTE could hook me up with a new one?

I guess the way I see it is that the vibrations are sent through the charger which is in turn bolted to the engine of course....I'm guessing it could start off small where ever the problem may be, but just ends up getting amplified by the time I get to feel it!

sure they could but as i said i doubt it would be that. has the framework for the sc been checked that it is not cracked anywhere and all the bolts are still in - that is a more plausable suspect.

wth the help of another.... rev the engine and get them to try find whats vibrating..... should be easy enough to feel or when they place thier hand on the item and apply a bit of pressure it should change the harmonic vibration frequency and then maybe u should fell the vibration stop......

wth the help of another.... rev the engine and get them to try find whats vibrating..... should be easy enough to feel or when they place thier hand on the item and apply a bit of pressure it should change the harmonic vibration frequency and then maybe u should fell the vibration stop......

Thats what i would try to, then the engine mounts.

Hope you can get this sorted easily, it's really annoying having odd noises and vibrations.

Should be able to find it though with someone looking under the bonnet while your making it vibrate.

• 1 year later...