Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After 5000 of enthusiastic driving I checked the oil this evening and its about half way on the dipstick between min and max. What oil do I need to use to top up and how much should bring it back up to maximum.

Thanks in anticipation - I cant cope looking in the telephone book sized manual :duh:

After 5000 of enthusiastic driving I checked the oil this evening and its about half way on the dipstick between min and max. What oil do I need to use to top up and how much should bring it back up to maximum.

Thanks in anticipation - I cant cope looking in the telephone book sized manual :duh:

Why do you want to top up your oil, when the level is normal? I'm sure some kind LOC member will take the time to check which oil you need as you are too damned lazy to do it yourself. Personally I would recommend 50% castor oil with 38% Cod liver oil and 11% oil of cloves with just 1% 50/200 used tractor oil.

P.S.

It worked in my old Trabant for over 12 minutes. :lol:

Why do you want to top up your oil, when the level is normal? I'm sure some kind LOC member will take the time to check which oil you need as you are too damned lazy to do it yourself. Personally I would recommend 50% castor oil with 38% Cod liver oil and 11% oil of cloves with just 1% 50/200 used tractor oil.

P.S.

It worked in my old Trabant for over 12 minutes. :lol:

Excellent - thanks for the advice. Helpful.

I'm sure the manual states 5w30 for both the diesel and petrol as being the recommended choice - what's confusing is that you cannot get that grade of Mobil1 as the dealers recommend that one only (or any other brand) at the 5w30 grading!!

I went round and round looking for exactly what it states in the manual...and then gave in! The closest is Shell Long Life VAG III - but it costs £14 for one litre and doesn't have the ACI ratings on it!!

It does state, however, that you can use others (10w30 etc) for top up, but only until the next change...I asked the dealers - all state that they only use Mobil1 0w40 Fully Synthetic - which interestingly doesn't appear in the manual. WTF!?

The car was serviced and that's what they put in it...so I went to Costco and bought 4 litres for an amazingly cheap £19.99...+vat

See page 280 something if I remember correctly!!

PS - after puting cloves in

you you might think you're driving a Trabant for at least 12 minutes (lexus are more reliable, apparently)

Don't stand behind it with the engine running - one could shoot out of the exhaust and injur you

If you put the cloves you're wearing in (!) you could get cold and arrested

You may want to check under the bonnet for leaks mate! I remember when I brought mine I asked for a top up bottle of oil and the sales man laughed at me and said he has never heard of an IS250 that needs topping up before, I have done 6500 miles and have not lost a drop in that and I dont hang around in it, may not be enthusiastic as you put it, but not an old man either!

You may want to check under the bonnet for leaks mate! I remember when I brought mine I asked for a top up bottle of oil and the sales man laughed at me and said he has never heard of an IS250 that needs topping up before, I have done 6500 miles and have not lost a drop in that and I dont hang around in it, may not be enthusiastic as you put it, but not an old man either!

How old a man do you have to be before you lose your ability to drive enthusiastically then? :D

How old a man do you have to be before you lose your ability to drive enthusiastically then? :D

70? :blush:

70? :blush:

I think Jackie Stewart and John Surtees may disagree with you..........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links