Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Website

Rikos

Hi all,

I know that alot of people have their own web page and was thinking about maybe setting my own up.

But as i am not too knowledgeable on computers i dont really know anything about how to do it, or if you have to apply for one or pay for it.

I should of really paid attention in IT at school!! :duh:

If any has any info or a way about doing it i would be greatly appreciative. (when i said i'm not knowledgeable i meant i am thick as too short planks when doing anything like this :lol: )

Thank you everyone

For us that do it for a living (and there are a few here) its easy, but for those that work at other things (loads of them) its a maybe a bit harder!

As you (probably) have your own internet connection with an ISP, 99% of them give you your own webspace to do with as you will (within reason) for free.

A personal webpage is easy enough to create initially, but like everything else, the difficulty goes up with the more techy you want to get!

I've been looking to do this for a while as well, but still haven't managed to get round to it. Is the easiest way for someone who doesn't really know much about it to just use something like Frontpage?

Is it a forum you're after or just a homepage.

I know its bloody hard work as i found out with the one ive made

Juat after a homepage really, put a few pics up and bit of info and link to the loc obviously :D

Frontpage is a good starting point - just dont look at the HTML produced by it - its horrendous!

Buzzwords:

Dreamweaver is a very complex experts only piece of kit but great if know what you are doing - EXPENSIVE!

Visual Studio - as Dreamweaver

Arachnophilia - good HTML writing software - nicely coloured - FREE

Notepad - thats all you actually need to write a webpage but its a bit masochistic - FREE !

A good place to start with HTML is http://www.w3schools.com/html/ - a free online course - then just Google for "html tutorials" and the worlds your oyster so to speak!

Then, once you have your artistic gem created - look in your docs for your ISP or just ring them to find out how, and you can upload it to YOUR website!

have a look at mine www.uk-torque.co.uk, i used a company which has a easy to use page builder

Il get you a link for it later at home if you wish

have a look at mine www.uk-torque.co.uk, i used a company which has a easy to use page builder

Il get you a link for it later at home if you wish

If you could post up the link later that would be brilliant cheers Chris, i'll have a browse on your page a bit later as well.

Its dead easy mate. Frontpage can do it, if you have a Mac its even easier, if you want something a little more versatile and can use Dreamweaver then you can do pretty much anything. I havent got round to using Dreamweaver just yet, my site k2dul.com didn't take very long at all do. I will be changing all the sites ive got and adding three more, some nothing to do with cars but its not really hard to do it, just time consuming. Ive encountered a problem on some of my pages that displays text in a strange way, seems to be fine on firefox and safari browsers but not brilliant on Internet Explorer for some reason, its little things like that can be fiddly!!

If you go on something like 123reg you can buy a domain name and get a web building program as part of the deal. Have a scout around on the web for domain sellers and hosting companies. I pay £6 a year for unlimited web space from a company which is on eBay called centrica hosting. Right bargain really, it doesnt help with building a site, but you can just use them for hosting your site.

I pay £6 a year for unlimited web space from a company which is on ebay called centrica hosting. Right bargain really, it doesnt help with building a site, but you can just use them for hosting your site.

Just had a look at Centrica and can't see that deal, got any links?

I use Easyspace and had no problems so far.