Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Guys,

I've not been ablt to find any reviews on the internet for the IS220d Sport. The reviews I've found are all IS220d and seem to complain about the gear ratios and how this is the only slight let of the car - if this was solved then the car would be the class leader in every respect.

My question is this, has anyone on here driven both the IS220d and the IS220d Sport? If so is there a real noticeable difference, ie paying the extra money for the difference in the driveability. I know you also get alsorts of extras with the Sport and that needs to be included in the cost, but you didn't get any extra, ie the technology, would you still be willing to pay extra for the sport from only a driving perspective?!

Thanks,

S.

Guys,

I've not been ablt to find any reviews on the internet for the IS220d Sport. The reviews I've found are all IS220d and seem to complain about the gear ratios and how this is the only slight let of the car - if this was solved then the car would be the class leader in every respect.

My question is this, has anyone on here driven both the IS220d and the IS220d Sport? If so is there a real noticeable difference, ie paying the extra money for the difference in the driveability. I know you also get alsorts of extras with the Sport and that needs to be included in the cost, but you didn't get any extra, ie the technology, would you still be willing to pay extra for the sport from only a driving perspective?!

Thanks,

S.

I've driven both and yes it is worth it!! The extra's you get make it almost an SEL, no leather or vent seats, but you get bigger wheels and sports suspension. It feels fleeter on the foot....

Had I driven the Sport (it wasn't launched in Jan '06) I would have gone for it!!

I have driven both (I have standard) and I wouldn't change for sport. I like the standard gears and I would miss the vent seats. Also, the standard is already stiff, why pay for even stiffer car and 18"?

I test drove both a base model and a sport. The engine on the base model laboured at 70mph. There was a lot of vibration which made the rear-view mirror wobble so that you couldn't see anything in it. At other speeds the gear ratios didn't work for me either. The handling was a bit wobbly, probably because of the 16" wheels. According to my family I didn't stop complaining about how unimpressive it was to drive.

The sport was like the car should have been. The gear ratios were much better and the car was a lot more flexible around 70mph. Acceleration is generally better. The rear view mirror still wobbles a little but not while cruising on the motorway. Handling is much better with the lower/stiffer suspension and 18" wheels. Ride comfort is still better than my old IS200 on 17" wheels. Fuel consumption is obviously a bit poorer. All the toys are well worth the money. When I had an SE courtesy car I missed all those little things like parking sensors, wing mirrors that tilt down when you reverse, the steering wheel moving out of the way when you switch off the ignition, HIDs etc...

I too have driven both...did not fancy the stiffer suspension on undulating country roads in the West of Ireland. Horses for courses...The gearing is admittedly different but once used to it...no problems you have a gear to meet all driving conditions... just a different gear to the one you're used to using. I read with interest that the mpg or ltr/100klm is less when you have the 18" wheel ...I'm not a techie so someone else might comment on the pros and cons of the 18" wheel.

The car has in my view been superb from day one ...Jan 2007...I do believe the grievences others experienced have given this car a negative standing amongst the competition...in reality this car will shine yet! :)

I too have driven both...did not fancy the stiffer suspension on undulating country roads in the West of Ireland. Horses for courses...The gearing is admittedly different but once used to it...no problems you have a gear to meet all driving conditions... just a different gear to the one you're used to using. I read with interest that the mpg or ltr/100klm is less when you have the 18" wheel ...I'm not a techie so someone else might comment on the pros and cons of the 18" wheel.

The car has in my view been superb from day one ...Jan 2007...I do believe the grievences others experienced have given this car a negative standing amongst the competition...in reality this car will shine yet! :)

The rolling circumference of the wheels will be very similar, else the speedo would be out...so the tyres will no doubt have an overall lower profile to make up for the bigger wheels??? Dunno...

As far as the suspension isn concerned, I actually thought that the Sport rode better :blink: and it was, in my view, almost as good as a standard 3 series in the twisty bits...It is horses for courses...

Either way, you can't go wrong!!

if it's true, that sport has higher consumption than standard (with same dynamic performance according to numbers), I don't see the point to buy oil burner. Go for 250.

javadude> interesting. My car has no problems when doing 70mph.

On fifth, of course.

is220d sport here, cant compain about the drive at all.

the only annoyance i have is the seat material, i cant understand why they cant have leather in the sport. i have no idea what options are on the sport that make it as expensive as the SEL with leather...

The material can be a bit 'shocking'. my other half complains that every time she gets out of the car she gets a static shock. I get them a lot too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links