Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have been informed from my local dealer that upgrading my alloy wheels will invalidate my manufactures warranty on certain items.

Basically Base models can only upgrade to 17inc SE/SE-L oem, SE/SE-L can upgrade to all 18" oem rims and like wise with the sport.

If any other rims Lexus or non Lexus are fitted then any suspension, steering or brake faults will no longer be cover by the manufactures warranty.

Just wondered if any one who as changed their rims as come across this issue?

I have been informed from my local dealer that upgrading my alloy wheels will invalidate my manufactures warranty on certain items.

Basically Base models can only upgrade to 17inc SE/SE-L oem, SE/SE-L can upgrade to all 18" oem rims and like wise with the sport.

If any other rims Lexus or non Lexus are fitted then any suspension, steering or brake faults will no longer be cover by the manufactures warranty.

Just wondered if any one who as changed their rims as come across this issue?

Your Dealer talking bull ***** mate :o

As i say dont tell your dealer f all :D if anything is to go wrong, put standard wheels back on, and take it back to them to fix :D

So if you was to buy new base model is 250 and add 18inch wheels, you warranty would be up the spout, i dont think so :o which you can do by the way, add 18inch wheels i mean :D

Never heard such bollox, did he make that up all by himself? The 'base' model has always had the option to upgrade to 18" the same as the SE & SE-L (but dealer option so you had to keep the originals).

When I called into Lexus Bristol a couple of weeks ago I was complimented on my non-OEM rims and then shown the new OEM optional wheels they now have available, including 19" diameter alloys.

In all fairness to the dealer they got this info came directly from Lexus GB. So I emailed Lexus GB and asked the same question and all I got back was contact your local Lexus centre for the answer (surprise surprise).

Never heard such bollox, did he make that up all by himself? The 'base' model has always had the option to upgrade to 18" the same as the SE & SE-L (but dealer option so you had to keep the originals).

When I called into Lexus Bristol a couple of weeks ago I was complimented on my non-OEM rims and then shown the new OEM optional wheels they now have available, including 19" diameter alloys.

The thing that really p :tsktsk: ss me off is that i only want the oem sport rims not after market so i can not see the problem!

I also pass the dealers quite alot so they would know if i changed them. Which would mean that i would have to put back on the original rims and take it to another dealer for any warranty issue which defeats haveing a local dealer.

I have an IS250 auto and had the sport wheels put on the same day I bought the car. I bought the sport wheels and asked them if they would fit them before handover, but they could only fit delaer supplied wheels. They were not prepared to take responsibility for the new wheels which they fitted and not supplied. This I inderstood.

They helped me find a local company to fit them and drove the wheels down to it.

At no time did they say that by putting the wheels on it invalidated the warranty.

Anyway the cars from base to top of the range is alsmost the same car apart from a few extras like heated seats etc.

The car looks great!

I had a very similar conversation with Lexus Derby last week. I was enquiring about the cost of the bara??? alloys. I wanted to have them supplied on the car when its delivered in sept. I figured since the standard 17" alloys on the car, were a part of the price I agreed to pay,If I upgraded to the 18" alloys to be delivered on the car I should be able to save some £££ on the £1250 cost of the upgrade. Dealer said that this price accomadated for cost of standard rims because I would not have to buy tyres so no reduction sorry

I had a very similar conversation with Lexus Derby last week. I was enquiring about the cost of the bara??? alloys. I wanted to have them supplied on the car when its delivered in sept. I figured since the standard 17" alloys on the car, were a part of the price I agreed to pay,If I upgraded to the 18" alloys to be delivered on the car I should be able to save some £££ on the £1250 cost of the upgrade. Dealer said that this price accomadated for cost of standard rims because I would not have to buy tyres so no reduction sorry

So the dealer is going to put 17inch tyres on you new 18inch wheels is he :o

So the dealer is going to put 17inch tyres on you new 18inch wheels is he :o

No but with most stealershipsyou get to pick up the car with the optional 18" wheels and tyres fitted plus you also get to pick up the spare set of 17" rims with tyres. :unsure:

[quote name='Tango' date='May 19 2007, 09:47 PM' post='439183'

Thats sounds interesting. . Did a quick google but found nothing about new OEM alloys. What did you think of the new rims. 19" OEMs might be worth a look, asumming I can fit them without invalidating warranty.

Thats sounds interesting. . Did a quick google but found nothing about new OEM alloys. What did you think of the new rims. 19" OEMs might be worth a look, asumming I can fit them without invalidating warranty.

I must admit I wasn't paying much attention :innocent: but they were various configurations in the same OEM silver. A display wall was covered with them.

In all fairness to the dealer, they are saying that to upgrade to 18inch wheels from a base IS, is not supported by Lexus GB purely because GB haven't tested them on the base model.

It is entirely possible to put 18inch, or indeed bigger, wheels on the base model IS, however, Lexus take the view that as they have not tested this, they will not approve this change. They say that the main reason they will not approve this much of a jump is that it could compromise the vehicle stability feature, which clearly affects safety.

The warranty of certain items will only be invalidated if the cause of the fault is directly related to the wheels - highly unlikely, but possible all the same.

Absolutely one hundred percent, Lexus do NOT list 18inch wheels as an option on a base model IS.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links