Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

tried starting my is 2220d and got a warning sign saying s/t not unlocked, after around 10 mins of trying and getting the same message i turned the steering wheel and the steering lock came off and the car started,

anybody else had this happen to them?

yes, I have had that, it is when you lock the steering wheel too tightly against the steering lock. I always flick my steering wheel when I get out of my car to ensure it is locked. Once I did it and I had the steering wheel over to one side, so in effect it was pressing against the tyres, so when I locked it the steering was pushing hard against the lock. The electronic release is obviously not powerful enough to disable the steering lock and throws up that message.

I now just hold the steering and let it release.

Also had the same with Key Battery Low warning.... Or something like that.

This aint just a lexus thing this is pretty much all cars with steering lock, when you get out if the lock is fully on then when you try to start it the car cant release it.

Happens all the time with our work cars just turn wheel away slightyly from the lock and press the buttong.

This aint just a lexus thing this is pretty much all cars with steering lock, when you get out if the lock is fully on then when you try to start it the car cant release it.

Happens all the time with our work cars just turn wheel away slightyly from the lock and press the buttong.

Yes that is a good point, you would never force your key would you, you would wiggle the steering whilst turning the key.

I had a weird thing the other day, I went to the boot of the car, the car was locked, I loaded by stuff in, shut the boot and the car beeped at me, it was still locked and nothing weird had happened. I opened the boot again and closed it and nothing happened, so it was fine??

• 8 years later...