Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jerk When Shifting Into Drive

ironduke

when my car is cold and i shift into drive (parking brake on or off) with my foot firmly on the brake pedal my car lunges/jerks forward.

the brakes stop the car rolling but the jerk is uncomfortable.

my car does the same thing when putting into reverse but not as violently.

it is a lot less noticeable when the car is warm.

any ideas?

when my car is cold and i shift into drive (parking brake on or off) with my foot firmly on the brake pedal my car lunges/jerks forward.

the brakes stop the car rolling but the jerk is uncomfortable.

my car does the same thing when putting into reverse but not as violently.

it is a lot less noticeable when the car is warm.

any ideas?

Haha, I do believe this is completely normal. It will be worse when the car is cold because the choke will still be out, thus higher revs. No different to when you first start a manual and it's cold, the revs will be higher and it will always want to pull away quicker.

I say I think this is normal because I too have the GS which does exactly the same and have had a Toyota Camry v6 auto which was similar (maybe slightly less harsh). If it is excessive, then i would say maybe your rear brakes aren't at full srength and need looking at. Sounds fine to me though.

I think all autos do this if the cold idle speed is high.

Check if yours in correct.....I always wait a minute after starting when cold for the revs to drop

which is quite quick on the LS.

Don't know about the GS.......

Hi,

What is the engine revs when its started from cold?

At the most the engine rpm shouldnt be above 2k,if it is then thats whats giving you the trouble.

The other things that could be causing the problem is a worn propshaft or diff or both.

Cheers..

Chips.

ok. here's where i am at now - by the way, thanks for the replies -

both rear brakes were knackered - seized calipers.

don't think it is normal, car revs within spec for hot/cold and idles smoothly and have never experienced such a harsh jerk on any auto before - even with cars as powerful as the gs300.

could be worn diff/prop - to be honest, i dont know, they havent given me any other reason to suspect that they may be worn.

any further ideas welcome and thanks again for the replies so far...

I think that pretty much covers it to be honest. There will always be SOME jerk, mine is indeed more violent when cold. But um, short of making sure the rear brakes are up to scratch and that the cold idle speed is no more than say, 1800 rpm and warm idle speed no more tan 750-850rpm, that's all I can say.

Again, mine DOES jerk, more than my old V6 Camry did.

• 2 weeks later...