Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Does Your Car Drive?

Hi Guys,

I dont know about you guys, but I've only driven one Lexus IS200, it happens to be the one I own :winky:

What i want to know is, how does YOUR IS200 drive.

Whats it like handling?

What dont you like about it?

What part of the drive makes you feel uncomfortable?

Have you ever pushed the car to its limits? [oversteer]

Ill kick things off....

My IS200 before my geometry setup was slippy and slidy on bouncy country lanes, since i got that done its been much better.

The steering has been very differnt to my other cars, its very responsive, but i think its defective in that any bump in the road or uneven surface, and the steering changes, if you dont have a firm grip on the wheel, it will steer into a ditch or something lol

The sound of the car is fantastic, and whenever i drive it, i always end up hanging onto the gears right up until just before 6k rpm, and follow with an agressive gear change. Good fun :)

All my previous cars have been comfy cruisers, family cars, with smooth rides and gear changes, but this one... you just cant drive it smooth, every gear change is agressive and jolty.. but very quick.

The brakes are decent, but under heavy braking it tends to snake at the front, steering correction always needed. i think this particular expeirence is actually a problem i might need to fix.

And finally... not sure if any of you are around london, but i was on Hanger Lane rounabout, the junction on the M40/A40 and went round it on the inside doing 65mph, i was bricking it, as in my last car, it would have lost it and understeered into the other cars, but the Lexus... fantastic, stuck to its lane, and went round smoothly.. Traction control lights flickered like mad but it did its job.

Thanks.

Never really pushed the lex to the limits but handling has been very good but as you say a bit loose this however should now be better as had the geometry done today and the drive home fely much tighter and responsive.

My previous car was a 1.8 clio and they handle really well as short wheel base but the IS is very very good and only had a slight twitch from the back end once and that was on a really wet day round a sharp bend apart from that it's been spot on.

I luv the sound of the car it has a really nice purrrr!! They are not the quickest car and upto about 45 it is a bit sluggish but when you get the revs up it does pull well and it pulls in every gear. I luv the way that when you change from 3-4 and 4-5 and even 5-6 you get the surge of power straight after lifting the clutch!!

Not alot i dont like about the car .... actually i dont think theres anything i dont like :D

Will definately be staying with Lexus for years to come :driving:

Hi.

My car also is quite responsive and sounds very nice, but since i live in Estonia and well our weather here is absolutely awful, the traction control doesn't work that well in wintery contidions. It lets the tail slide out quite a bit actually, even though the yellow traction control light is flashing. In the summer time and slippy conditions it works like a charm :winky:

What's recently got me worried is a quiet clunk in the steering when ju try to streer widely at low speeds while breaking. Is this common on all IS-s or is mine broken? :tsktsk: It's like driving trough a pot hole but a lot quieter....

Please mind I've only had the car for half a week :blush:

I can pretty much only compare it to my old severely modded Pug 206.

The 206 seemed faster in the city. I think it's a combination of the 1G-FE engines heritage (developed in the 70's) and the low gearing of the 6-speed. The gearbox could well have been geared higher. On the motorway, I miss an overdrive gear or something.

On the motorway, from 80 and up the 206 felt like it *wanted* to go faster, not that it had that much power though. The IS200 gives more of a push in the back type of feeling which is very different and it clearly has more power. In this aspect it's a very nice engine.

Oh, and I love the sound of 6 cylinders ^_^ Really adds to that "I'm driving a really nice car" feeling.

Significantly reduced wind and tyre noise, although it could definitely be better. 3.5-4 stars out of 5.

Roadholding ability is pretty good, but it's hard to compare as the pug had a full race suspension and semi-race seats. The second IS200 I tried (I bought the third) was extremely floaty though. A bit like an american luxury car, but still transmitting the bumps in the road. Took half a second to react to steering input. :blink: Mine's fine though :)

it drives really smooth (automatic) and i dont race with it. only thing that bothers me is the wind noise, on the highway the noise is way harder then any other car i've driven exept an old jetta. I wish it would me more quiet

In the standard form I was very uneasy about pushing the car to the limits.

Now after having the coilovers, strut braces and ARB's fitted it is now planted. I have no fears at all, if the back end steps out its a quick correction and it snaps back into line :) or can drift it if I so desire :whistling: not on public roads mind.

Handling wise I can't put a foot wrong, the car will grip going round any corner even going a bit quicker then the recommended speed :unsure:

I then had the chance of driving another IS200 (Rsarin) and I have to say I was happy to get my car back :) although part of that was to do with a bit of work he had done which hadn't turned out as planned :sick:

PS, if anyone wants a taster, just ask :o

What's recently got me worried is a quiet clunk in the steering when ju try to streer widely at low speeds while breaking. Is this common on all IS-s or is mine broken? :tsktsk: It's like driving trough a pot hole but a lot quieter....

Thats the clips in the break caliper which stop excessive play in the break pad. Sounds like one has broken. Not major - just annoying and firly easy to fix.

Hi Guys,

I dont know about you guys, but I've only driven one Lexus IS200, it happens to be the one I own :winky:

What i want to know is, how does YOUR IS200 drive.

Whats it like handling?

What dont you like about it?

What part of the drive makes you feel uncomfortable?

Have you ever pushed the car to its limits? [oversteer]

Ill kick things off....

My IS200 before my geometry setup was slippy and slidy on bouncy country lanes, since i got that done its been much better.

The steering has been very differnt to my other cars, its very responsive, but i think its defective in that any bump in the road or uneven surface, and the steering changes, if you dont have a firm grip on the wheel, it will steer into a ditch or something lol

The sound of the car is fantastic, and whenever i drive it, i always end up hanging onto the gears right up until just before 6k rpm, and follow with an agressive gear change. Good fun :)

All my previous cars have been comfy cruisers, family cars, with smooth rides and gear changes, but this one... you just cant drive it smooth, every gear change is agressive and jolty.. but very quick.

The brakes are decent, but under heavy braking it tends to snake at the front, steering correction always needed. i think this particular expeirence is actually a problem i might need to fix.

And finally... not sure if any of you are around london, but i was on Hanger Lane rounabout, the junction on the M40/A40 and went round it on the inside doing 65mph, i was bricking it, as in my last car, it would have lost it and understeered into the other cars, but the Lexus... fantastic, stuck to its lane, and went round smoothly.. Traction control lights flickered like mad but it did its job.

Thanks.

My experience is very much like yours except my car is an auto. I like the car but hate the handling, braking and petrol consumption. Unlike Lee Iceman it does not feel planted but then again the car is pretty much standard.

I was on the M25 on Sunday and had to give way to a car behind me. It seems there might have been a little thing going on with another car in the middle lane. I must have been doing 90-100. After I pulled over I noticed the car I had given way to was another IS, the car in the middle lane tried to chase the IS but boy did that IS shift. I gave up after I hit 110 it just did not feel safe.

On rough local terrain I do have to hold on to the steering wheel and I do have snaking and brake judder when braking down from motorway speeds. The car is erratic sometimes it drives like a dream other times it is a nightmare.

Hi.

My car also is quite responsive and sounds very nice, but since i live in Estonia and well our weather here is absolutely awful, the traction control doesn't work that well in wintery contidions. It lets the tail slide out quite a bit actually, even though the yellow traction control light is flashing. In the summer time and slippy conditions it works like a charm :winky:

Ah from Estonia? My girlfriend is Estonian. "Kuidas Lehab?"(forgive if i mispelled im only learnin Esti) I've the same knock coming from my Altezza when i brake parking on a hill etc, only ever at low speeds, coming to a complet stop . As mentioned something to do with the brake pad holder thing! ill be over in Estonia in July, maybe i give ya a shout!

Wasnt very confident in my Altezza when i first got it, very jumpy rear end always afraid of taking a corner too fast. Since i got the coilovers fitted the car handles so much better. pushed it a bit last night and it just stukc to the road.

Dont like the the lack of low end torque, Glanza Turbo out did me from stand stil at the lights last night( i did catch up easily after a few seconds :shifty: ) Fuel consumption is bad and no leather seats. Apart from that I LOVE IT!

Having traded from a 520i with Dunlop Sports 225's to the IS with 205 Yokohama low profile's I feel the ride is a bit too harsh for the car. Plan to replace them with something similar to the Beemer when the time comes. They'll filll the arches better too. Other than that, having loads of power in the top range coupled with a smooth box, I reckon the IS as good as the 5 series (e39) and better than the equivalent 3 series (e46).

it drives really smooth (automatic) and i dont race with it. only thing that bothers me is the wind noise, on the highway the noise is way harder then any other car i've driven exept an old jetta. I wish it would me more quiet

Wind Noise really gets to me too, its so loud, i need to drown it out with the radio.

i think its just simple arodynamics that are missing, for instance, i noticed that on the rear passenger doors, there is a little dip in the flushness of the lines from the end of the door and the rear pillars, about half and inch "step".

Would wind deflectors help with this?

Thats the clips in the break caliper which stop excessive play in the break pad. Sounds like one has broken. Not major - just annoying and firly easy to fix.

I had one of mine fall off, dont ask me how, but it the squel and clicking noise was terrible, popped into lexus garage, picked a new one, which by the way is called "Anti-Squel Clip", for £4.75, took the wheel off, and put it on, wasent easy to clip on ripped my fingers to bits, but it will go on eventually, instant effect. might need another one on the other side, clicking a bit over bumps.

On rough local terrain I do have to hold on to the steering wheel and I do have snaking and brake judder when braking down from motorway speeds. The car is erratic sometimes it drives like a dream other times it is a nightmare.

Mars, im half glad that you are having the same driving experiences as me. My lexus is stock too, nothing done to it at all. and i feel as though i shouldnt have to do anything to have a decent drive.

the front end snaking under heavy braking is a little frightening, and i just wish i dont have to work so hard to drive it.

Does anyone know how we can "fix" our little "problems"?

Keep the replies coming guys, let us know how yours drives, problems, resolutions....

Wind Noise really gets to me too, its so loud, i need to drown it out with the radio.

i think its just simple arodynamics that are missing, for instance, i noticed that on the rear passenger doors, there is a little dip in the flushness of the lines from the end of the door and the rear pillars, about half and inch "step".

Would wind deflectors help with this?

I was thinking the same thing, was checking out eBay for wind visors, they aren not expensive. But it sounds like the doors are not well isolated too.

Hi.

Ah from Estonia? My girlfriend is Estonian. "Kuidas Lehab?"(forgive if i mispelled im only learnin Esti) I've the same knock coming from my Altezza when i brake parking on a hill etc, only ever at low speeds, coming to a complet stop . As mentioned something to do with the brake pad holder thing! ill be over in Estonia in July, maybe i give ya a shout!

Wasnt very confident in my Altezza when i first got it, very jumpy rear end always afraid of taking a corner too fast. Since i got the coilovers fitted the car handles so much better. pushed it a bit last night and it just stukc to the road.

Dont like the the lack of low end torque, Glanza Turbo out did me from stand stil at the lights last night( i did catch up easily after a few seconds :shifty: ) Fuel consumption is bad and no leather seats. Apart from that I LOVE IT!

Well Estonia has got the most beautiful wemen in the world ;) Thanks everybody for your advice....quess it's back to lexus to get it fixed :P oh and IRLRs200 it's written "kuidas läheb?" ;) :D and sure you could give me a shout :lol: