Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hks Knock Amp

skeet94

Hello there,

I can pick up this little piece for VERY VERY cheap...now what I'm after is a bit more information than I can find on the good old internet. I was hoping someone could chime in and give more information about how the unit works, etc.

I know it monitors knock using the stock knock sensors and alerts you when in standalone mode. Also monitors A/F Ratios using the japanese NTK sensor which is the most accurate of all wideband sensors available and is used by the top of the line MOTEC ecu's as well.

Is there any more information before I go and spend my hard earned £340 on this piece?

Thanks,

Mitul.

I've been told the Toyota knock sensor is very very very good

I don't think anyone's interested in what you have been told. The poster is looking for factual information.

The HKS A/F Knock Amp is tool for evaluating the a/f ratio and the knock levels, for the purposes of monitoring these parameters and/or for calibrating the engine management.

It uses the signal from the stock knock sensors (regardless of whether they are very very very good or not), or you can mount your own.

The a/f knock amp can be used with the FCON V Pro in self learing mode to automatically self programme to determinable a/f values, which can save time with mapping.

We use one in our dyno cell but it's very unusual for a kit to be permanently installed in a car. Looks very cool on the dash though B)

Now all we need in this thread is Ahhh_Aristo and we can have a four way internet battle - Just kidding :D

Thanks for the input guys...just a quick question though...

If the knock amp is permanently installed doesn't it help tune the A/F ratio constantly? A little similar to how some stock ECU's work on our cars, where it learns a new timing/fuel map whenever the ECU is reset after a change in type of fuel?

I don't think anyone's interested in what you have been told. The poster is looking for factual information.

The HKS A/F Knock Amp is tool for evaluating the a/f ratio and the knock levels, for the purposes of monitoring these parameters and/or for calibrating the engine management.

It uses the signal from the stock knock sensors (regardless of whether they are very very very good or not), or you can mount your own.

The a/f knock amp can be used with the FCON V Pro in self learing mode to automatically self programme to determinable a/f values, which can save time with mapping.

We use one in our dyno cell but it's very unusual for a kit to be permanently installed in a car. Looks very cool on the dash though B)

Only trying to be helpful old bean :winky:

It was you who told me that BTW ..... :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...

Knock sensors from HKS being sold off cheap/discontinued.

Absolute 'mare to install. So I avoided one.

Great if you're running big boost and have big turbo etc. etc. But for anything less than 500hp, not required.

Rolling road visit should check to see if anything's knocking anyway.

Only trying to be helpful old bean :winky:

It was you who told me that BTW ..... :whistling:

It's not very helpful if you make inappropriate comments. The poster was not asking how good the standard Toyota knock sensor was. By the way - I was right - the standard knock sensor is very good.