Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Transmission Fluid Usage

twodogs

Could anyone tell me if it is normal for the LS gearbox to use a bit of transmission fluid. I have run the car daily for 6 months and the level has gone down from halfway between empty and full to the lower level mark in approx 8000 miles. It is due to be replaced but i am just a bit worried that this is not normal and this is an indication that something is wrong.

many thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

I don't think the transmission uses fluid as you describe, are you checking in a consistent manner i.e engine hot every time.

Is the fluid clean [pinkish] with no burnt smell?

Hi,

As ROYT says its not really normal for the autobox to loose oil,id have a look under the rear of the chassis of your car to see if theres any sign of a fluid leak.You might find there gearbox doesnt drop any oil on the road when parked,but when on the move theres a small fluid leak from the autobox under pressure when its working.Have a look at the exhaust pipe for signs of any fluid leak staining the exhaust.

Is there other problems with the autobox then as you say its due to be replaced.

Chips.

• 10 months later...
Hi,

As ROYT says its not really normal for the autobox to loose oil,id have a look under the rear of the chassis of your car to see if theres any sign of a fluid leak.You might find there gearbox doesnt drop any oil on the road when parked,but when on the move theres a small fluid leak from the autobox under pressure when its working.Have a look at the exhaust pipe for signs of any fluid leak staining the exhaust.

Is there other problems with the autobox then as you say its due to be replaced.

Chips.

A autobox should never use oil,to to go back to point made above,make sure you are checking the oil properly,ie hot and engine running.it makes a big difference.