Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As you might have gathered I'm selling my RX300 to get a new RX400h.

In the past I would have gone via the "Trade-in" route, driven in with the old car and drive out with the new one.

But I'm lead to believe that this is throwing money away. The mid point between what the dealer buys at and what he sells for, is about 2k. (he buys for 18k and sells for 22k) So I'm thinking I could get an extra 2k by cutting out the middle-man.

I've tried this forum but there's been no interest, which is understandable as it's a "Lexus OWNERS club". I'm reluctant to use via ebay/auto-trader, as I've heard about the scams and one that happened to a friend of mine. And then there's the eternal time wasters, and those that try to find faults everywhere to reduce the price.

So what I'm asking is, "is there an alternative to just trading it in"? Have other members found an alternative sales channel when selling? What experiences do you have.

ps. I've got 8 days before I have to use my "trade-in" fall back option (that's when I pick up my new RX400h)

Fabben

I've only ever sold a car privately once, and used the autotrader for that and sold it within a week of putting it up.......it's the only way to get a proper sale in that sort of time scale.

However, with all the scams and stuff going around nowadays, I'd be more likely to just trade in - unless the price difference is massive, I find the saving not worth the hassle and time spent

The other option is auctions - I know people seem to associate auctions with bargains, but everytime I've been to one of the big auctions, I can't believe the ridiculous prices a lot of the cars go for. Might be worth a try, set a reserve and if you're lucky may get more than you expected :)

I really don't see a problem with buying and selling cars on say eBay or privately. You really have o follow some very basic simple rules and be confident in handling people.

The basic golden rule has to be, that you do not release the car until you have cleared funds in your account. Insist on a CHAPS or direct bank to bank deposi of the monies from the Purchaser...its simple, easy and cost effective. Above all its in real time. No funds = no car.

Now if you get greedy and cut corners then go but with the grace of The Lord...as you will leave yourself open for fraud.

Keep it simple, stick to the basics and you'll do jsut fine. Although now perhaps isn't a good time to be selling this type of vehicle as there seems to be a levle of panic about rising costs etc. for vehicles. Personally, great from a Buyers POV.

Yours looks like a lovely motor. If you stick it up I'm sure it'll sell because when we were looking to buyone in Feb this year - we looked through the Forum ehre and culdn't find one! Good luck with your sale :)

I really don't see a problem with buying and selling cars on say eBay or privately. You really have o follow some very basic simple rules and be confident in handling people.

The basic golden rule has to be, that you do not release the car until you have cleared funds in your account. Insist on a CHAPS or direct bank to bank deposi of the monies from the Purchaser...its simple, easy and cost effective. Above all its in real time. No funds = no car.

Now if you get greedy and cut corners then go but with the rgace of ***...as you will leave yourself open for fraud.

Keep it simple, stick to the basics and you'll do jsut fine. Although now perhaps isn't a good time to be selling this type of vehicle as there seems to be a levle of panic about rising costs etc. for vehicles. Personally, great from a Buyers POV.

Yours looks like a lovely motor. If you stick it up I'm sure it'll sell because when we were looking to buyone in Feb this year - we looked through the Forum ehre and culdn't find one! Good luck with your sale :)

Have you tried www.wewillbuyyourcar.com all you have to do is put in your details and condition of your car and it gives you a price straight away. If you proceed, they will collect the car from you and payment is monitored and done by HSBC. It costs nothing, give it a try !!

...yeah and they will also offer you well below Trade for the car. Try it and see :)

I'll eat my hat if their price comes in anywhere close to what your Dealer is offering you in P/X. I reckon they'll lowball you by about £2k LESS than the Dealer. Waste of time IMHO. I say again: Yours is a good private car it will sell itself for anyone looking for an RX or equivalent vehicle. If yours had been available in Feb '07 (when we were looking) then we would have been seriously interested.