Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm really new to UK (concerning driving) - this is (IS220d) my first car in UK :)

It seems that i'm requiring some fueling soon (in one or two weeks? i love diesel!!!)

I'm not really sure that the quality of fuel is the same on every gasoling station...

Can you please advise me - which "network" is the best?

BP? Esso? Or may be "supermarket" like Tesco and so on?

I'm ready to pay a little bit more for best quality diesel - just because it will be better for engine and slightly more economical mpg...

I prefer the fuel from Shell but thats my opinion. Try BP Ultimate Diesel?

I only use BP or Shell...only tried the BPUltimate once, and the car managed the highest MPG ever on a run, fully loaded - over 200 miles and 48mpg....

It's still rare where I am.

Mine doesn't like supermarket fuels. The fuel economy seems to suffer.

Just don't use supermarket fuel!!!! awful stuff!

I use BP in my diesel rollerskate - it's the only juice i can get 52 mpg from!!!!

52 mpg??? Amazing!

Thanks to everyone for advising - it seems that this is a really bad idea to buy supermarket fuel...

I know! I'm used to 22 mpg from my old Boxster! But the diesel rollerskate Fiat managed 52 mpg over 3 trips to and from Aylesbury last week. total 240 miles. I was pretty impressed as i wasn't driving like miss daisy lol!

the average so far on our IS250 is 33mpg, which is still pretty impressive IMO. :D the chicks old golf gti would only get around 30 tops. I also run the IS in supa from BP.

Just stay away from the supermarkets :winky:

just to add to fuel debate: I have been reliably informed that Sainsbury's fuel is supplied by Shell, so should be same grades. I use their higher octane unleaded ("Super Unleaded") which has proved to be pretty good, and a bit cheaper than BP or Shell. It's always advisable to go for a higher RON number (reseach octane number), i.e. 97

just to add to fuel debate: I have been reliably informed that Sainsbury's fuel is supplied by Shell, so should be same grades. I use their higher octane unleaded ("Super Unleaded") which has proved to be pretty good, and a bit cheaper than BP or Shell. It's always advisable to go for a higher RON number (reseach octane number), i.e. 97

'Always advisable to go for a higher RON number'? On what do you base this pearl of wisdom?

'Always advisable to go for a higher RON number'? On what do you base this pearl of wisdom?

As far as I'm aware, the RON number relates to the quality of the fuel. The higher the number, the faster the burn rate-although I am no expert, but I do read my handbook. You really need to have basic knowledge of what you're putting in your tank.

There is also a web site that tells you the prices within a few miles of your Post code....but I've deleted the last message they sent...curses...it'll be around again in a few days (weekly updates) Shell is cheapest here, surprisingly.

there is nothing wrong with supermarket fuel, its obtained from the same suppliers as all the other main stations, ive seen shell and BP trucks filling up at Morrisons

Supermarkets always shop around and get the cheapest fuels. No one knows about the quality, but the recent spate of break downs were attributed to fuels with dodgy contents FROM SUPERMARKETS - you spends your money and takes your choice

there is nothing wrong with supermarket fuel, its obtained from the same suppliers as all the other main stations, ive seen shell and BP trucks filling up at Morrisons

Supermarkets always shop around and get the cheapest fuels. No one knows about the quality, but the recent spate of break downs were attributed to fuels with dodgy contents FROM SUPERMARKETS - you spends your money and takes your choice

actually your wrong, they buy in bulk, and and sell cheap with the costs offset by the bulk purchase and moneies earned through profits from the supermarket earnings...its subsidised.

the recent spate of brakedowns was not the fault of the supermarkets but the company who mixed, blended and stored the bulk fuel.

the incident could have happened to any of the fuel suppliers, in that case it just happened to have been a bad batch of fuel that was earmarked for the supermarkets.

facts are a wonderfull thing ;)

I'm really new to UK (concerning driving) - this is (IS220d) my first car in UK :)

It seems that i'm requiring some fueling soon (in one or two weeks? i love diesel!!!)

I'm not really sure that the quality of fuel is the same on every gasoling station...

Can you please advise me - which "network" is the best?

BP? Esso? Or may be "supermarket" like Tesco and so on?

I'm ready to pay a little bit more for best quality diesel - just because it will be better for engine and slightly more economical mpg...

My IS220d luvs Shell...got 56mpg on a run last week :driving:

It's impossible to say categorically whether there is a difference - you have to try it.

I never noticed this on previous cars...I always filled up at Sains or tesco and it ran right, similar MPG and never thought about it. When the Lexus was so poor on MPG compared to what Lexus claimed, I started to change brands and noticed a difference...it could have been that the engine was loosening up and it gave a better MPG...who knows

Haven't tried it since engine re-map. The petrol IS (200, 300 or 250) may behave differently to how my diesel behaves - but that's all I have got to go on. If you look on the 'net there is no definitives on this...just lots of rumours which could be garbage -

As far as I'm aware, the RON number relates to the quality of the fuel. The higher the number, the faster the burn rate-although I am no expert, but I do read my handbook. You really need to have basic knowledge of what you're putting in your tank.

That's wrong I'm afraid. The RON rating relates *solely* to the resistance of the fuel to pre-ignition. The greater the resistance of the fuel to pre-ignition, the higher the compression ratio can be run in the engine. It is this higher compression that gives extra power, not the fuel itself. It may be that some higher-RON fuels also have greater levels of additives that help keep your engine clean and thus running more efficiently, but it is untrue to say that the fuel, on it's own, is a requirement.

Where higher RON fuels do tend to help is if you have a forced-induction engine, modified timing (or manufacturer-set timing which demands the higher rating, eg some imports) or your engine is otherwise prone to pinking or pre-ignition for some reason. These engines often run at a higher temperature and are thus prone to pre-ignition during the compression stroke.

I suspect that what your handbook actually says is that you should avoid low octane fuel (not generally available in the UK or Europe, but it is in some places), as opposed to always buying the highest available.

PetrolPrices.com explanation

Yeah I use the Tesco stuff too Chris, it seems fine, have to admit my car does seem to slightly prefer V-Power though - no idea why - probably just me thinking that!

Has anyone here compared like for like yet - I can't really as Tesco is practically next door and it's miles to the nearest place that does V-Power!