Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Satellite Boxes

We have a satellite box in our living room that picks up some foreign channels, and at the moment is wired to another room in the house just using an aerial cable.

However, having just got a new plasma in that other room, I'd like to now get a better feed into it. Therefore, I'm considering options with regard to adding a second box in the other room.

My questions are:

1. Can I just buy another box, and then use a splitter to split the signal coming into the living room and run another coax cable to the other box in the other room? Will splitting decrease the quality of the signal or will this be ok?

2. Can the second box I buy be an HD one? None of the channels are actually HD but I like the idea of the upscaling if this will work ok.

3. Can anyone recommend any particular boxes?

As you can probably tell, I don't really know much at all about this stuff so please don't leave out any details that might be obvious to some! :blush:

Thanks in advance for any help :)

We have a satellite box in our living room that picks up some foreign channels, and at the moment is wired to another room in the house just using an aerial cable.

However, having just got a new plasma in that other room, I'd like to now get a better feed into it. Therefore, I'm considering options with regard to adding a second box in the other room.

My questions are:

1. Can I just buy another box, and then use a splitter to split the signal coming into the living room and run another coax cable to the other box in the other room? Will splitting decrease the quality of the signal or will this be ok?

2. Can the second box I buy be an HD one? None of the channels are actually HD but I like the idea of the upscaling if this will work ok.

3. Can anyone recommend any particular boxes?

As you can probably tell, I don't really know much at all about this stuff so please don't leave out any details that might be obvious to some! :blush:

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Hi mate, Like you mate i am trieing to do the same, but came across this site which was invaluable.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=259

Best site :D just do a search and you should find all the answers..

:)

If you need more help just post and i will try to help.

Dibslpg

Is the current box Sky of any description, if not you will need to start again ( I believe ) and go with Sky, Sky + or Sky HD. Then you are talking charges and monthly fees. I'm paying £50 ish a month for SKY HD including movies and sport to give you an idea. I think if you got for + or HD you can get an additional box fitted into another room for either free or a nominal fee. You will have to look at www.sky.com for latest details.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original question - it's not sky at all. Actually have cable for normal TV so that isn't the issue. We have a separate satellite to pick up a few foreign channels - it's this one that I want to expand.

Will need to do a little more research, but from digging around a little, it seems you can't just split the signal as you can with cable, and you need a twin LNB or something (no idea what that is though! :duh: )

Cheers for the avforums link, I usually use it for any AV questions, but with this one I really don't have a clue, and answers on there can be a little technical which in this case would go way over my head. Think I might need to look on there now though as I think this is quite a technical thing anyway........

1, buy another box by all means, but gett a dual output lnb for the dish and run that feed to the new box. lnb is the little thing at the end of the dish with the wire on :)

ive looked at the site i get all my satellite stuff from and there are only 4 makes of hdd decoders there, so with that bit i cant help you ,personally i wouldnt go hdd yet anyway as the foreign stuff in hdd out there is very limited come to think of it ive not seen any :)

hope this helps

i got...

2 dreambox's 7000+7025 (dual tuner) 1.2+ 1.8 dish's and a crap load of cards :)

You could use a wireless video sender. However you run the risk of other people picking your transmission and other people transmissions interfering with yours.

The other solution is to buy a dual/quad output lnb and run another cable to the required room and use another box. Thats what i've done. Lnb cost £40+ for a decent one the lower the db the better, and make sure its a universal one as well.

Echostar do a box designed for two tv with HD, however Echostars dont come cheap.

http://www.echostareurope.com/products_high_definition.htm

I think the new Dreamboxes will do HD, also you have the added advantage of being able to customise them and do some not so legal things as well.

Humax are nice as well, but again not cheap.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/hdci-2000.asp

they were supposed to be bringing a dreambox 8000 out but that i havnt see anything of yet, all the other dreamboxes dont to hd , even the new 7025 dual

plus these foreign channels can you be a bit more specific :)

and whats the decoder you are using at the moment?

you cant just split a sat cable, if you do you will loose nearly all the signal. something to with the voltage for the LNB ( the bit on the end of the arm at the dish).

To get 2 signal for 2 boxes you will need a twin lnb as suggested already

This is starting to sound a little more involved than I was expecting, if something needs to be attached to the dish, etc. I may as well just get someone to come and sort it all out for me.

The channels are just some asian ones (don't really watch them myself so not too sure what they are) and currently using some kind of samsung decoder.

Looks like a bit more than a diy job now though so I'll speak to a few installers and see what they say.......thanks for all the advice guys :)