Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Immobilizer Is Hacked Already, Which Anti-theft System?

Unfortunately, it seems that IS series standart immobilizer is hacked...

I'm from Russia (there is huge amount of Lexus cars, it is much more popular than BMW for example) - last _week_ (yes, only one week :( ) there is more than 30 IS250/350 cars thefted (previously it was only TWO cars for the whole 2006 year) :(

So i'm pretty sure that it will be huge increase in thefts all around the Europe (not only for selling - but for disassembling too) :(

As i'm going to travel through Europe alot - i'm thinking about installing some satellite tracking system (for sure, it doesn't protect for 100%, but anyway it is hugely increase chances to protect)

So, the final question is - which company (on your opinion) is the best on this market in UK?

What is the approx price?

Is it possible to install such system without voiding the warranty?

Thanks.

30 in one week! :o

That's unbelievable - so these cars are being stolen without the keys? i.e. not car jackings, or just picking up the whole car and taking it away?

I'm really surprised by this if it is the case........

With regard to aftermarket systems, with Lexus it doesn't actually void the warranty unless that device directly causes something else to fail.

It might be good to get the kind of security system that sends your mobile phone a message if moved and will also send you coordinates of where the vehicle is to help you track it down.

Yes, without the keys... :(

Actually, there is some websites in Russia where the thiefs can buy online "manuals" and tools for doing this kind of bad things...

And they have started to sell information how to open && start IS2x0 without the key.

It is really easy (if you have some electronic blackbox which costs in about 1000$) and can be done in 2 (!) minutes only - first step is to open the door, the second - "leaning" the new key...

Finally new key will work as native one.

There are too many smart peoples in Russia - and not all of them are good.

"mobile phone a message if moved and will also send you coordinates of where the vehicle is to help you track it down."

Yes, this is a kind of very popular anti-thief scheme in Russia... BTW there is some tools for thiefs wich are blocking thouse system really easely (they are blocking GSM and GPS data (approx 30 meters around of) - such device costs only 150$).

Anyway, it is really interesting - which company is the best in UK... Or may be there is too small amount of stolen cars and such kind of anti-thief system is not popular?

BTW all RX cars and GS are hacked too...

plenty out there but if the thief wants it they will get it regardless of what you put on it,

I watched a show on the TV where a chap had a Porsche 911 in London and had a 20k alarm system in it ( the car cost mega I suppose and it was a collectible ) the thieves simply came along with a side lift on a truck they type loggers use and its never been seen since

plenty out there but if the thief wants it they will get it regardless of what you put on it,

I watched a show on the TV where a chap had a Porsche 911 in London and had a 20k alarm system in it ( the car cost mega I suppose and it was a collectible ) the thieves simply came along with a side lift on a truck they type loggers use and its never been seen since

100% agree, it is always possible to steal any car.

that's why i'm looking for not so costly but effective solution...

there must be some balance...

simplest way is the best like fitting a key to the Battery positive like the rally cars have also a touch pad under the carpet linked to the ignition, simple things confuse the thief especially when they cant see them and its totally not what they expect on an expensive car ( standard system left in of course ) they expect that

I've got to say I really find all this stuff unbelievable. It doesn't matter what kind of security system you have, if they have a way to start the car normally as if they had the key, nothing is going to work.

As you say, simply block GSM and GPS, and pretty much every system on the market is redundant.

Anti-carjacking systems are going to be the only option that might delay them for a little while (things like blackjax) as they're purely a switch that needs to be activated, otherwise the car shuts down after 30 seconds or so.

I'm confused about the part with the key though - I thought on Lexus's you needed to have one actual key to be able to program another (although I assume they have a way round this)

Up until now, I thought the only way to steal a modern car was to either get the key, or literally pick it up on a flatbed - this stuff is amazing and frightening all at the same time

Up until now, I thought the only way to steal a modern car was to either get the key, or literally pick it up on a flatbed - this stuff is amazing and frightening all at the same time

Yes, there is the same feelings for many russian lexus owners...

Previously it was really rare stealed car (that why insurance was quite low comparing with BMW-3 for example)

But the situation was changed last month.

Actually, every kind of electronic device can be cracked... That's the matter of time.

IS protection was quite good - it is hacked only in 2007 (and it was really good for 2 years!)

Anyway, for now it is a really good idea to think about addition protection.

I always work on the premiss that you should delay the theif, not try to stop them. The longer you delay them, the less chance you have of losing your car or being burgled at home or what ever.

Like ontheroad1 said, the simplest ideas can stall a theif long enough that they give up and go! A hidden key would have them stumped!

You have to think like a theif to delay them as much as possible. I am an ex-police officer and dealt with burglaries and thefts and the more I saw the more ideas I came up with to stall them. In the house, going on "ontheroad1's" ideas, putting up a fake key rack and hiding the real one stalls the theif, sometimes they will break in and want the keys to nick the car, or open a door to get stuff out the house, or they run with the keys, thinking they have a result and the intention to come back later!

One thing I would say, I have never been to a burglary that the people have owned a big dog, thinking about it, or a little one! I have been to one where the dog was locked in the kitchen however, dog owners beware.

Theives will always find a way around any system that is put in place.

Perhaps Lexus should supply a doberman with each car, you press a button and it is released into the car. Or for a more pratical option, a cobra snake that will fit in the glove box, you just need to train it to get back into the glove box when it sees you want to get in the car! :D

the tools are not difficult to get Snap on sell them to the trade but not cheap like Bluetooth for instance, this allows the car to be scanned for problems as well as other dubious things,

the more advanced the maker gets they still have to make a tool to fix it and the thief can buy it or steal it which is what they do lol

Perhaps Lexus should supply a doberman with each car, you press a button and it is released into the car. Or for a more pratical option, a cobra snake that will fit in the glove box, you just need to train it to get back into the glove box when it sees you want to get in the car! :D

These are better :D Expect most have seen before but here they are all together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZcG_pgp0Q

I'd be interested to see some news or forum links on the www to these occurrences. Not to the tools that they use for obvious reasons.

Ghm

Unfortunately - there is only russian links...

One of the discussion about massive increase of stealing an IS cars:

http://www.club-lexus(blocked word)/forum/viewtopic.p...asc&start=0

Example of the "manual" how to steal RX300-330 (up to year 2006 models) (with new key "pairing" without having old one)

http://phreak(blocked word)/showthread.php?t=2774

(one citate from here:

"Tomorrow i'll try to make a photo of tool which can open lock on practically mind every toyota and lexus not more that in 2 minutes"

This photo is in private area which i do not have access...

)

Place where anyone can buy (legally!) some tools (lots of photos) (anyway it is very easy to find those in google)

http://wendt(blocked word)/auto.html

Also there is many another links...

Btw i think it is possible to translate using babelfish or google translator

Thanks goodness I don't have an IS250 after you posted those links :blink:

I know our IS200 isn't as secure as we like to think, but believe me there are ways around everything. My mate does a lot of car repo work and he has a few shelfs of spare ECU's and keys which he uses when customers are not too keen to hand over there keys. Pop the hood, replace ECU and away you go :o

Thanks goodness I don't have an IS250 after you posted those links :blink:

I know our IS200 isn't as secure as we like to think, but believe me there are ways around everything. My mate does a lot of car repo work and he has a few shelfs of spare ECU's and keys which he uses when customers are not too keen to hand over there keys. Pop the hood, replace ECU and away you go :o

Yes, replacing of ECU is an 'old' way...

For now it becomes to be a lot easer :(((

There is only one well no i mean 2 ways to stop s decent car getting nicked:

1. Buy summit crap like a metro

2. Dont have a car

lol

unfrotunately it dont matter what you have if they want it they will have it just gotta live with it unfortunately

There is only one well no i mean 2 ways to stop s decent car getting nicked:

1. Buy summit crap like a metro

2. Dont have a car

lol

unfrotunately it dont matter what you have if they want it they will have it just gotta live with it unfortunately

;)

not agree with....

it is possible to make life much for harder for a thief... if something can't be done in 2-5 minutes - many of them will go away (they don't like to make too much risk)

IMHO more than 90% of stealed cars are totally not protected other than standart alarm...

How about fitting a Disclock type device to the car? Sure they can bypass the electrical wizzardry - but soemthing mechanical might delay them or even put them off from trying?

*** Bless the Free Market eh?

I have always had a very selfish view on the security issue. I just try to make sure My security is a little better then the car next to me.

And I do agree that a visible mechanical device is always good. It might only take them 30 seconds to get by it but if the car beside doesn't have one which one do you think they will go for.

We've definitely come to a turning point.

Most expensive stolen cars over here end in up driving around in eastern Europe (including Russia). Mine was found there too. Finally they got an interesting car driving around in Russia and someone over here decided to retrieve some of the losses from the past :duh: