Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Change In Responsiveness....

Guys,

I've got an IS220d and have done around 600 miles on the clock (only had it a few weeks). When I first drove the car out of the dealership, one of the first things I noticed was that yougot the sudden rush of power at around 1900 - 2000 revs, I really felt it in second gear. So much so that I was thrown back in my seat a little and my passengers also noticed this. This happened as soon as I hit 2000 revs and felt instant.

However, now it's somewhat delayed. I drove the car for the first time after a few days and though I would test if I still experienced the same power, but when I hit say 1800 revs and put my foot down suddenly, there seemed to be a bit of lag and the power wasn't at instant when it hit 2000 revs. Don't get me wrong I still felt there was a surge of power, just not as powerful and as instant as when completely new.

It could just all be in my head, ie I've got used to the car. The only reason I'm questioning it because of all the posts I've read regarding the fifth injector, ecu remap etc etc, so before I contact the dealer and go through this whole laborious process I want to know if anyone else has had this with a new Lexus.

Also my understanding is that the fifth injector and ecu remaps were for older cars, ie 2006 and not 2007, but I'm pretty sure it's not in my head!!!

Thanks,

S.

The fifth injector etc issues are really for other problems such as consumption, although general consensus is they drive more responsively afterwards. My car was recovered on Monday with all sorts of engine management lights and failures which could be due to 5th injector failure but until Lexus Cov get off their arse and return one of my calls I won't know what the issue was or when I can expect the car back.

I would think you are just getting used to it more, if in doubt take out a car from the dealer to compare.

The power delivery in this baby is very narrow - between 1900-2700, then it tapers off.

The engine is also notoriously tight when new, so you will notice all sorts of changes. Mine is now on just short of 10,000 miles - it's had the injector stuff and ECU re-map, and whilst it pulls better at lower rev's, the car still jolts me into the seat.

That flat spot is well known on a diesel with high out-put. Example of where and how to improve it - it can work - A BMW 535d is a 3 litre Diesel, but the advantage in that is 2 Turbo's - which is really what this IS220d needs - a smaller progressive Turbo lower down the rev range (so as not to destroy economy) and a larger brut after 2500rpm...that would make it seamless...

Oooh - and a 535d does give you 40+mpg on a run...

The power delivery in this baby is very narrow - between 1900-2700, then it tapers off.

The engine is also notoriously tight when new, so you will notice all sorts of changes. Mine is now on just short of 10,000 miles - it's had the injector stuff and ECU re-map, and whilst it pulls better at lower rev's, the car still jolts me into the seat.

That flat spot is well known on a diesel with high out-put. Example of where and how to improve it - it can work - A BMW 535d is a 3 litre Diesel, but the advantage in that is 2 Turbo's - which is really what this IS220d needs - a smaller progressive Turbo lower down the rev range (so as not to destroy economy) and a larger brut after 2500rpm...that would make it seamless...

Oooh - and a 535d does give you 40+mpg on a run...

Thanks Jamboo....

So far in your experience have you heard of anyone losing responsiveness in a Lexus? If not, it's probably just in my head and I've gotten used to the power.

Also, do you still get that.....when you press the pedal, even at just before 2000 revs, there is about a second where nothing happens and then the power kicks in?

I never notived this before....maybe it was there and I was just so imrpressived with the surge of power that I never noticed it!!

Also, do you still get that.....when you press the pedal, even at just before 2000 revs, there is about a second where nothing happens and then the power kicks in?

I never notived this before....maybe it was there and I was just so imrpressived with the surge of power that I never noticed it!!

Oh yes - it's one of the annoyances. There is still a flat spot - which is un-nerving at roundabouts. You have to drive the car with 2-3000rpm at any time to avoid it, but the fuel economy then suffers...it's not a car to rush around in town at all...it needs a relaxed driving style. It's no sports saloon unless you're on the motorway or on fast A roads where the torque is amazing...

It really does spoil the enjoyment of driving the car in town, and one of the reason's I believe why the car is not as quick as a 320d off the mark.

The ECU re-map did make it a tad better, but not enough to still notice it...it's all relative...

You have to crank the revs up to 3000 if you need a sharp exit. It's much worse than my old A4 (130bhp) which I am convinced was quicker 0-60 :duh: (it felt so much lighter) but not as quick when dropping the hammer and overtaking.

If yours is a 07, then I doubt it'll need any mod at all. It'll be at the revised spec. Drop "The Mole" a PM...

PS - mine hasn't lost power at all - in fact it seems to have loosened up nicely.

Oh yes - it's one of the annoyances. There is still a flat spot - which is un-nerving at roundabouts. You have to drive the car with 2-3000rpm at any time to avoid it, but the fuel economy then suffers...it's not a car to rush around in town at all...it needs a relaxed driving style. It's no sports saloon unless you're on the motorway or on fast A roads where the torque is amazing...

It really does spoil the enjoyment of driving the car in town, and one of the reason's I believe why the car is not as quick as a 320d off the mark.

The ECU re-map did make it a tad better, but not enough to still notice it...it's all relative...

You have to crank the revs up to 3000 if you need a sharp exit. It's much worse than my old A4 (130bhp) which I am convinced was quicker 0-60 :duh: (it felt so much lighter) but not as quick when dropping the hammer and overtaking.

If yours is a 07, then I doubt it'll need any mod at all. It'll be at the revised spec. Drop "The Mole" a PM...

PS - mine hasn't lost power at all - in fact it seems to have loosened up nicely.

Thanks Jomboo,........

Helpful as always....who's the mole?

Jamboo....

Another quick one....I've just read on a couple of websites that Euro V compliance will come into effect from 2009. Are you sure that the Lexus engine is E5? My understanding was that it was E4...I may be mistaken.

Checked that Miller specfically states the new Power versions of the additive works with all EIV compliant engines....something to think about I guess!

Cheers,

S.

A BMW 535d is a 3 litre Diesel, but the advantage in that is 2 Turbo's - which is really what this IS220d needs - a smaller progressive Turbo lower down the rev range (so as not to destroy economy) and a larger brut after 2500rpm...that would make it seamless...

exactly...

From the time when I first got to know that all negative things on D4D 180 CP are because of emisions, I was pretty sure that other carmakers will suffer with same problems.

But I was wrong. At least with comparison to BMW. They are going to produce 2 liter turbo diesel with 2 turbos with power output around 200HP... and I am pretty sure that this engine will have great emmissions level and won't suffer from turbo lag...

So I think this is the way how the new turbo diesels will be produced.

I don't understand why toyota had the urge to create so clean diesel when it wasn't neccesseary and now it (toyota) is blamed because of the lag and consumption...

..who's the mole?

A million dollar question...aparently a bored Lexus employee who occasionally comes onto the forum and talks sense, and can try and find out things from inside...hence the name I suppose...no one knows who he is...

He could be the Stig for all we know :lol:

"Some say......"

Another quick one....I've just read on a couple of websites that Euro V compliance will come into effect from 2009. Are you sure that the Lexus engine is E5?

It was the Mole who mentioned that on a previous thread about poor economy, I'm sure! The UK wants to force manufacturers to comply earlier. You'll find through history that the UK is normally firmer on these things and some manufacturers do produce cars to comply early...the tax man then rewards owners (....) !

Check out post 237, page 10:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...5911&st=225

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links