Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I am looking to get the new Lexus IS250 SE and I was adamant on getting the 6 speed manual gearbox.

I have read reviews and it seems that the Manual gearbox is not that good and the reviewers advise to get the automatic as it's pretty good.

I am not a fan of automatics as I like to get a feel for my drive etc. and will find it pretty odd considering I have been driving manuals for almost 10 years :)

I am wondering if anyone with a manual IS250 can confirm or give their opinion on the gearbox.

Thanks

Having driven 250 Manual and Auto, I can only say that the Auto is superb. It is the best auto transmission you'll get on this type of car. It's more economical than a manual too (which for a conventional auto is very good in this type of car).

One point of clarification - the manual actually isn't that bad, and I found that some cars had a notchy feel while others were very precise. The throw is shorter than a BMW's...

You really need to try them for yourself. There are loads of threads in this site - do a search.

I am not a fan of automatics as I like to get a feel for my drive etc. and will find it pretty odd considering I have been driving manuals for almost 10 years :)

I am wondering if anyone with a manual IS250 can confirm or give their opinion on the gearbox.

For what it's worth I wasn't a fan of automatics either, having driven and owned manuals for over 30 years, (and from mixed experiences driving auto's in the States). However, once I test drove the IS250 and the IS350 auto it convinced me it was the preferred option, and driving a couple of manual 220D courtesy cars only convinced me I had made the right choice.

Anyway, you can always slip it into manual select with either paddle shift or gear stick changes if you feel the need, or get bored :D

I've driven mainly manuals for 14 years then changed to an auto for the past 6 years. I missed driving a manual when i bought my IS 250 so opted for the manual box, i find it to be a bit notchy in first, second and third and from the reviews i've read the auto box is superb, wish i had gone for one myself. But each to his own as they say i would recommend test driving both, the stealerships will give you plenty of time to test.

Happy hunting.

Auto everytime!!! :D

never had a automatic before,but when I took my old is200 in for service and some other work,they gave me a new is250 Auto :) ,I had it for a few days and fell in love with it.So went back to dealer to pick my car up and came away with a 250 Se Auto. :winky: I think I will never go back to a manual car!If you do feel a bit bored at times just drop it into semi auto and use the paddles on the steering wheel.great fun!!! B)

The autobox certainly makes for relaxed driving and the economy is superb. Our car has averaged 35mpg over the last 10k miles and sees over 40mpg Tank Ave on long motorway runs. :)

The other interesting point which I've not often seen mentioned is that it's a CVT automatic, which is why the car can be so frugal. If you accelerate slowly you can get the revs to hold constant over a speed band, whilst the car stays in the same gear! :o This is a benefit as it keeps engine noise down but not so helpful if you want a highly responsive drive. You have to switch to 'S' hit the PWR button and use the flappy paddles :winky:

Oh and don't forget you'll save money with the auto when it comes to the tax man :P

The other interesting point which I've not often seen mentioned is that it's a CVT automatic,

It's not mentioned because it isn't. :)

I'd agree - get the Auto - I did and have never regretted it. Plus you save on fuel and VED. The manual is classed as a "gas guzzler" in Band G - £300 a year rising to £400 a year.

it's conventional.

I like the autobox because the "handbrake" is a pedal and the wood on the middle console is a one piece beaut ...with the chrome gearstick it looks much better than in 220d

The other interesting point which I've not often seen mentioned is that it's a CVT automatic....

I said this once and got shot down in flames...is it conventional or CVT?

If the gearbox is not a type of CVT how can the auto accelerate (slowly) without the revs rising whilst in the same gear :question::blink:

Maybe it's my misunderstanding of the new generation of autos, but if you've got 6 fixed gear ratios it would seem impossible to achieve the above without a CVT element. :question:

I look forward to the explination. :)

I don't own an IS250 but have driven them several times, and am pretty sure that the auto is not a CVT - it's a conventional 6 speed auto

Only the hybrids are CVTs.......

If the gearbox is not a type of CVT how can the auto accelerate (slowly) without the revs rising whilst in the same gear :question::blink:

well, I don't know if I use correct english words, but conventional auto gearbox consists of a hydrodynamic changer. Its like a big clutch, but instead of friction of some hard clutch plates, here is the friction made with the oil pressure. (that's why on D the car always wants to go)

On the top of it, there is a locker, which mechanically locks both sides of the changer - this happens automatically on higher gears (3,4,5,6..) - it saves fuel.

So when the changer is unlocked, it may happen that you have constant revs and the speed rises - the only connection between the wheels and engine is the oil pressure.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_tra...c_transmissions

Thanks for all the input but I ended up going for the IS250 Sport + Multimedia.

The car I took for a test drive was a sport and it impressed me enough to want one :)

Only downfall is the lead-time which is 12-14 weeks for the manufacturer to build the car, this will be a slow and painful wait :(

Matus - thanks :)

It's all reached beyond the limits of my comprehension!!

Toyota have obviously done a great job with the auto, because it's very different to other autos we've had - much smoother and more economical.

On a slightly different note: We recently aquired an Audi A4 which has reinforced that you can't beat Japanese cars for day to day reliability. Nothing but niggling electrical problems, and a realisation that there are fundamental design faults, like not ensuring that the electrical system doesn't sit in a pool of water after heavy rain :tsktsk: We might have the odd minor complaint about the IS250 but in comparison we have little to complain about :winky:

[quote

Only downfall is the lead-time which is 12-14 weeks for the manufacturer to build the car, this will be a slow and painful wait :(

Glad to hear im not the only one suffering then. Misery loves company. Maybe we should start a support group

When is the official road legal day for 57 plate cars.??

My wifes car is a Merc B200 which HAS a CVT auto gearbox and basically it does not change gear. You can drive at 2000 rpm all day 40 -80 mph. It has got 7 "virtual gears" in manual mode. My 250 auto changes gear, you can hear it. It is very very smooth compared to any other auto box I have driven however.

That said if the IS HAD a CVT gearbox I woudl not have had it. Don't like them. My wife does though?!