Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Finally Found The Root Cause Of My Car Problems!

aido

Well I've been having issues with the Aristo for the past couple of months, started off as a misfire under load and then started with a lumpy idle and misfiring all the time..

Have to admit I was getting really worried something really major was goosed, like say the engine :o

I'd replaced the sparks recently, thought it had initially cured the problem but then back it came worse than ever, so I'd just assumed it was the coilpacks and was going to get someone to give it a good look over to see what the crack was!

Well...

Had major issues yesterday, and I mean major, car is overboosting (not going above 1.2 but hitting 0.5 bar when cruising at 30 and struggling to pull) running really badly, my thoughts got worse and I assumed the gearbox was screwed, all sorts of nightmares were going through my head as to how much this lot was going to cost to sort so I turned the AC and fans all off and just happened to notice I could faintly hear rushing air - managed to make it all the way to the office and popped the bonnet for a quick check over....

Turns out the bloody air intake plastic piping has split and it's releasing the air there so I guess this is why it's been misfiring as it must have started off as a tiny split, so it's been leaking under load, which is what I was initially seeing at WOT - then it's got to the point where it's got bigger and bigger and resulted in the misfires cruising at 2k rpm!!

Well just as luck has it I happened to have a spare one sat in the front room thanks to Mr Ellen, so got to work today to fitting it..

It's a different car, oh my *** I forgot how hard this thing was supposed to pull - I'd just assumed it was me getting used to the car which is why it was feeling slow - but turns out it isn't at all - it's just because it has been getting slower and slower until yesterday when I got overtaken by a lorry on a hill as I was trying to get to the office :lol:

Slight problem now though :o

Decided to give it a bit of welly for the first time in a ages - pulled like a train then BOOM, big bang and all power immediately cut and the boost guage dropped straight down to near the bottom, well below where it idles anyway, can hear the engine struggling so pulled over in Attecliffe and next thing she stalls - first time she's done this.

All sorts going round in my head at this point, oh *** what's happened now etc...

Pops the bonnet and oh bugger me the same part we just swapped has popped out, so sorted it at the roadside and then managed to limp nback to work at which point I've tried tightening up as much as i could with what was available at the time...

Left it there tonight as I didn't want to risk it happening again on the way home in Friday rush hour traffic - the fact that the girl who brought me home is hot was just a bonus :D

So, anyways, I'm guessing the jubilee clamp has seen better days, so I'm guessing time for some Mikalors now...

Also read that applying hairspray to the plastic can also help so will do that too I reckon!

Any other tips please to make it stay there as I can't be done with it if it's going to start popping off everytime the car is getting some hammer :lol:

Thanks in advance :D

Mate you should have seen the look on my face when I felt the leak as I was messing in the engine bay with the throttle assembly to see if I could hear anything there!

Work haven't been too amused as I've been revving it in the works car park for the past two days :lol:

Amazing something so simple can cause so many problems and be such a pain in the arse to find!

Leaks like those come with the territory of turbo-charged cars ;) good to hear you got it all sorted...you got a picture of where the leak was/is...?

Glad to hear it's been diagnosed...I'm just glad I haven't had any of those issues - touchwood!

I'll get some pics up when I pick the car up dude, will be getting it Sunday probably, I left it at work in the secure compound - safer than it being on the street here :D

I just dug out a photo from when I got the car last August - the crazy thing it looks perfect in this pic - it's split in the area near the jubilee clip at the top - not sure why it's gone so badly in the time I've had the car if these things don't tend to break down that quickly?

knacked.jpg

Is it normal for these to perish as quickly as this? I'll get the photo up in a couple of days of how it is now - might buy a spare from Toyota just in case this one goes! The old one is absolutely black in something, guess whatever was used to clean it as my hands literally were black after I'd removed it!

WOW I've never heard of them breaking down like that. You might want to consider picking up a FMIC ;) and replace the pipe with one that comes in the kit...a perfect excuse for a little more power.

Yeah it's crap isn't it, think I'll be getting onto Toyota for a couple of spares on Tuesday :)

Amazing difference though, picked the car up this afternoon from the office and the lumpiness has gone, now idles correctly again, no misfires, I just haven't pushed it and I won't be doing until I get the bits all swapped over - took it to 0.5 bar and no further!

• 1 year later...

OLD THREAD REVIVAL!

Just experienced the same thing with my car today - was testing a boost controller with Simon from Charlesworth motors and when we got back to the garage the pipe had disintegrated! Taped up the hole and had to nurse the car home at at max of 0.2psi.

:lol:

Don't suppose you have a part no for it do you Aido?

Right it's one of these mate:

17364 TUBE, AIR, NO.4

17364‑46020 2JZGTE..JZS161; NO.1 1 $149.23

17364‑46030 2JZGTE..JZS161; NO.2 1 $61.00

Got a feeling it's the 46020 number as it's the more expensive one!

Cheers mate! Very helpful!

Skeet94 has upgraded to a FMIC and kindly said I can have his old one. Steve did say he can make something out of metal, but I will probably be upgrading to a FMIC in a abit anyway so will use Skeet94's hose for now until I do :)

Nice one mate, I chucked all mine in the bin - maybe not the best idea in hindsight :lol:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing :D

I never chuck anything out these days from the Aristo, you should see my garage, chock full of bits from my single conversion :D

Many Thanks to Skeet94. Pipe came this morning and I changed it over. It doesn't look to good to be honest (can see airline cracks in the rubber around where the jubileee clip goes) , but will do for now and better then my old one with a big hole in it! LOL

The replacement pipe lasted one full throttle burst before the car just sputtered and died. I looked under the bonnet and saw the pipe had popped off. I popped it back on and made sure it was tight and went for another full throttle burst and thats was it. Opened the bonnet and saw this:

broken.jpg

So that was the end of that!! Nursed the car home again and today I decided that rather then get a stock part from Toyota I'd rather get what Stav suggested and get some reinforced Silicone Hose to replace it. I took the broken pipe along to Auto Performance Silicone Hoses in West Yorkshire and asked them to come up with what I would need to replace it. They have a MASSIVE selection of reinforced Silicone hoses and all in stock!

Unit 27 Victoria Spring Business Park

Wakefield Road

Heckmondwike

West Yorkshire

WF15 6BU

I used these guys before when buying pipeworks for my BMW Intercooler so knew they were good.

Decided on a 90 degree elbow reducer (76mm - 63mm), a 45 degree 63mm elbow and two aluminium metal hose joiners; oh and some jubilee clips and a super strong T-bolt clip. Excellent Service and help from Auto Performance Silicone :D

Got home and compared to by standard part and started joining my pipes together:

stock.jpg

Cut them down:

cutdown.jpg

After some playing and tightening up the hoses I think it looks rather good and I have peice of mind that pipe aint going anywhere!!!

fitted.jpg

I also used some hair spray on the inside of the silicone hose (which is a tip I read about).

Hopefully I never have problems with that pipe again!!

Anees :D

How's she boosting now mate? Must be bloody rapid!

That pic brought some memories back - was how mine had gone too - maybe it was just ok holding stock boost but the extra pressure just kills it once it's on the way?

Liking that new solution though, I'd never have thought of that!

Thinking of getting the Mikalors too, everyone seems to swear by them!

Bought a load of vacuum pipes the other day so going to pop them on maybe tomorrow or Wednesday, got a bee in my bonnet about doing some work on the car now!

How's she boosting now mate? Must be bloody rapid!

That pic brought some memories back - was how mine had gone too - maybe it was just ok holding stock boost but the extra pressure just kills it once it's on the way?

Liking that new solution though, I'd never have thought of that!

Thinking of getting the Mikalors too, everyone seems to swear by them!

Bought a load of vacuum pipes the other day so going to pop them on maybe tomorrow or Wednesday, got a bee in my bonnet about doing some work on the car now!

Hi Aido,

Yeah the pic I post up is of the pipe I was sent by Skeet94. My first hose also split in the same place and from reading this thread is also the same place yours split from! I just didn't want to get a new one from Toyota and then be wondering if it will hold - I'd rather have the peace of mind that the hose ain't going anywhere so I went for the Silicone - and its much faster being able to order them, then to have to wait until after xmas for my local toyota dealer to get them in!

I don't know how she boosts yet mate, not driven her yet, but will do tomorrow and HOPEFULLY I can get the car to hold boost at 1.2bar (120KPa) (17.5psi) with the HKS EVC Boost Controller I am trying to get to work properly- at the moment I keep getting run away boost, hitting as high as 25psi for the odd occasion which is not good and obviously contributed to the demise of my standard hose.

More info here if you want to take a look (Page 3 onwards)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.ph...4088&page=3

Are you just replacing your standard vaccum hoses with the new hoses you have bought then?

Yeah mate, well at least the ones I can reach for now :D

It was Austin gave me this link over at CA:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/index.php?cPath=16

They were bang on, ordered some 4,5 & 6mm pipes and they came the next day - can't argue with that :)

I'm going to remove the Defi control unit and gauges so needed replacement for the bit where it was T'd off and decided might as well do the lot in blue to match the FMIC piping :)