Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've found bubbling on the spokes of the wheels on my 2005 GS300SE - it looks like corrosion under the top finish. Front wheels at first and then the back too.

I'm pleased to say the dealer has replaced them all under warranty (well done Lexus), but I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this problem too.

Its a common problem on all most japanese cars including Toyota, Mazda and Honda

The Japanese don't use a 100% pure alloy wheel, there is impurities in them and it reacts with the road salts used in the UK

Have exactly same car, same age and had mine replaced for the same problem a couple of months ago. I really feel this is a poor show for Lexus, as what happens when out of warranty. The cars are not cheap but fittiong with an alloy wheel which is unsuitabe for Uk roads is very bad. They obviously no longer care about their reputation, but then i find the new GS build quality also shows Lexus is losing their status and trying to appeal to mass market too much.

I have had this problem with a number of GS models. I have never had a problem having them replaced. My dealer tells me that Lexus has increased the layers of lacquer applied but the problem persisted. He now says that they have found that the problem is with the inner edge of the spokes which are too sharp and will not take multiple coats of lacquer. Refurbished wheels have the edge buffed off and don't have the problem, this information has been fed back to Japan. Time will tell if they have solved it and if refurbished wheels last.