Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone An "advanced Motorist" ?

I'm looking into making some extra money on the side, and getting myself set up as a chauffeur.

To do this I need certain qualifications, and one of them is the IAM Advanced Drivers test.

I've been reading their site, and see that the best way to do it is to go to a group meeting (my local one is in Maidstone, Kent).

Is anyone a member/or passed/ or have any info that would be of use?

Thanks to anyone who can help

Tony

I've been thinking about this too and found a number of links. I was considering it more for personal development, though I chauffer the family quite enough :hehe:

http://www.iam.org.uk/ and http://www.solgiam.demon.co.uk/ is my local group.

They seem to have meets, and from what I can gather, you read up some book on theory and principals then take a test. I've heard that if you're caught speeding :whistling: and you have an IAM sticker in your car the police may be a little more lenient, as they know you're somewhat more proficient at driving and aware of prevailing road conditions etc. :unsure:

I'd be interest too if anyone has any experience of this, and knows the above to be true?

Asam

Guys, I passed my IAM test last year, there are actually two "advanced" tests, one with the IAM, another I think is with part of Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents.

If you take the latter, there are three levels of pass (bronze, silver and gold), you also have to re-test every few years, the better the level you get the less often you have to re-test

However I know more about IAM, you join a local group, get allocated an "observer" eventually, who will take you out driving with the aim to get you to the level to pass their test. You can just take the test, but its not reccommended.

One problem I had was that the waiting list to get an observer with the Thames Valley group took probably over six months. I only found out about the other test afterwards and by that time almost had an observer.

Anyway once I had my observer, we met up about once a month, after probably less that half a dozen sesssions, I took a mock test with the lead observer, then the real test with a serving police driver.

I am sure if you look at their website you will see some of their benefits. For me they have sorted out pretty reasonable car insurnace, also have a smug feeling that I am in the right when I swear at other drivers.

And for sure you will improve your driving, the main thing you notice going out with them is how much they notice with whats going on around them and think ahead, getting your driving to impove is certainly a benefit!

If you want any more info, let me know.....

Thanks both for your replies - very helpful indeed.

I think I understand alot better now how the IAM test works, and how you get there. I'm going to give my local group "leader" a ring this evening.

Ideally I'd like to do the other test as well - I'll have a hunt and read up about that I think.

Also what I'm going to do is take the Bentley Chaueffeur's course. It's VERY expensive, but recognised world wide and something I'd be really proud to do. SO....I think stuff it, it's only money, and I'm going to do it !! (something I've always wanted to do)

Thanks again for your comments guys

Kavey, it doesn't cost much, I think it was something like £50 to join and do a test, if you fail and have to re-test it probably will cost about another £30. There is an annual membership fee which I am sure is probably under £20 a year.

To actually get you up to the standard to pass the tests, the "observers" don't cost, they give their time for free, which is jolly nice of them reall!

Overall its not a costly excercise at all, for more precise figures I would have thought your local group could sort you out.....

I passed my advanced driving test last year. There are two ways to join, the first is direct membership of your local group, the second is called the 'skills for life' package. This costs £75.00 and includes your test fee. They also send you a good book entailed 'pass your adnaced driving test'. The subscription for this second option is paid directly to the head office in chiswick.

Good luck if you take the IAM route- it was well worth it for me.

I passed my advanced driving test last year. There are two ways to join, the first is direct membership of your local group, the second is called the 'skills for life' package. This costs £75.00 and includes your test fee. They also send you a good book entailed 'pass your adnaced driving test'. The subscription for this second option is paid directly to the head office in chiswick.

Good luck if you take the IAM route- it was well worth it for me.

Yeah. Rather amusingly, I started work today, working in Chiswick, and guess which organisation I drove past on the way home :)

The £75 package sounds the ticket methinks. With the body kit my car has, it certainly draws attention from the law, even though I'm no boy racer. Anything that helps convince them I'm a serious - and safe - driver is well worth it in my book, and if it helps with insurance, then bonus. I've just joined the pecial Lexus Owners Club Insurance scheme (join GOLD for more info) and one of the the questions was 'Have you passed an Advanced Driving test?' - not sure if it will actually affect my (high import) premium, but anything I can do to save money in the long has got to be tried!

Thanks for the info!

Asam

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links