Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Got My Cambelt Changed.... Omg!

Right so, my car is a 1999 model, got 91k on the clock, never had its belt changed.

I read a forum topic on here about these belts and it got me worried, so i booked my car into a garage to get it changed.

I bought the parts myself and took them to the garage to get it replaced.

I paid about £124 for 3 belts [timing, aircon, power steering], idler and tensioner.

After about an 1hr dismatling half the engine, i was in complete shock.

The belt had worn down so much that the bits that had worn off had turned into plastic fluff... almost clogging the whole set of pullies.

The belt was less then half its orginal size.

belt.jpg

Heres a before and after shots.

beforelexus.jpg

and after

afterlexus.jpg

Labour cost me £150, got the mechanic down from £250, local lad i always goto and trust.

Total cambelt change cost.. £274

-------------

To sum up my Lexus expirence...

Car cost.. £4,800

Car Servicing .. £1,200 [and its still not finished :( got satnav screen to fix yet. and some body work patching.]

Total spent £6,000+

Car value... £5,400

Lesson learnt?........ never buy an IS with one service stamp missing, FLSH is a must!

Glad you got the belt sorted, that is shocking how much that belt has warn down :o

I agree car should be fully serviced and kept up to date, don't think it's vital that it has to be a FLSH. As long as the garage you go to is very good and trustworthy :D

OMG. Mine's from 99 too and haven't had it's belts changed either, although it's only gone 40k miles... Might be a good idea to be proactive and have a look...

Yep, definatly get it checked mate. although the only way to check it, is to open up the whole thing, and by that point, you might aswell change it lol

good luck

OMG. Mine's from 99 too and haven't had it's belts changed either, although it's only gone 40k miles... Might be a good idea to be proactive and have a look...

Yep, definatly get it checked mate. although the only way to check it, is to open up the whole thing, and by that point, you might aswell change it lol

good luck

got a bit worried after seeing this so i checked mine out and though it is not as bad as yours there is a fair bit of damage to it, so i am planning to change it this weekend, did you have to remove the radiator? and wat parts would you recomend changing, ie tensioner idler and belt or should i just do the tensioner and belt? thanks craig

DSC03519.jpg

Yep, the radiator has to come out, although, we didnt actually disconnect it, just held it up high while still attached, to get the tools in underneath it.

i got the belt, tensioner and idler replaced, i also replaced the powersteering belt and the aircon belt, which where both very worn out aswell.

the aircon belt not as much, but the power steering belt had no grooves/teeth left.

you can get the water pump checked while down there too, but most of the time you dont need to replace it.

if you are taking the radiator out, might be a good time to change the coolant.

other then that, nothing else really needs doing, other then giving it all a good clean.

good luck

-------------

Car cost.. £4,800

Car Servicing .. £1,200 [and its still not finished :( got satnav screen to fix yet. and some body work patching.]

Total spent £6,000+

Car value... £5,400

Lesson learnt?........ never buy an IS with one service stamp missing, FLSH is a must!

Alright mate, I brought my car at 80k with full lexus service history and my cam belt had a chunk out of it, and had to put on a new radiator, AC radiator, Water pump, a by pass hose and get the cd player repaired!! then I had to do a full service on it. I would say having a stamp missing probably didn't cause the problems you've had with the lexus.

-------------

Car cost.. £4,800

Total spent £6,000+

Car value... £5,400

Alright mate, I brought my car at 80k with full lexus service history and my cam belt had a chunk out of it, and had to put on a new radiator, AC radiator, Water pump, a by pass hose and get the cd player repaired!! then I had to do a full service on it. I would say having a stamp missing probably didn't cause the problems you've had with the lexus.

You're probably right, but the frustrating thing is, the previous owner had somehow got the service book stamped by a garage, without the garage knowing, or having anything done, so when i bought it, the owner claimed it had full service history.

so the stamp that was missing happens to be a fairly pricey service. all other services/stamps however were fine, all done correctly.

the car has cost me alot, for £6k, i could have got a decent 02 plate IS and not an old 99 T.

I guess i just need to hang onto it for about a year, then i can get rid of it and get a brand spanking new company car :D C200 Kompressor Coupé :)

-------------

Car cost.. £4,800

Total spent £6,000+

Car value... £5,400

You're probably right, but the frustrating thing is, the previous owner had somehow got the service book stamped by a garage, without the garage knowing, or having anything done, so when i bought it, the owner claimed it had full service history.

so the stamp that was missing happens to be a fairly pricey service. all other services/stamps however were fine, all done correctly.

the car has cost me alot, for £6k, i could have got a decent 02 plate IS and not an old 99 T.

I guess i just need to hang onto it for about a year, then i can get rid of it and get a brand spanking new company car :D C200 Kompressor Coupé :)

Yeh i suppose so, I thought that too after all the work I've done on mine, but I could of spent 6k on a 52reg and still had to spend more cash on it. At least you know the car is right now and there should be no more worries. :)