Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

First of all hello to everyone, this is my first post after finding the forum and having a good read of the posts. :)

I am looking for a new car to replace my current Vectra. I have looked at the BMW 530d and Pug 407 Coupe both have all the toys and are very nice. I went to look at the IS 220d at my dealer and I must say that multimedia touch screen kit and the sound etc. totaly sold me! :o

I came on here to find more information (as you do), I see all these posts about gearing etc. but to be honest rather than ask any questions on this I think I will have to test drive one at my dealer to find out for myself.

My question is down to fuel economy (UK mpg). I see in the brochure that the sport gets a whole 6mpg less than the SE-L with 38mpg mixed driving... and we all know the brochures tend to be a bit optimistic.

My current daily usage is 15 miles to work on a morning in moderate moving traffic about 2 miles of dual carrageway and the reast 30-40mph roads. I do about 250 miles per week.

From those who have the Sport and SE/L what sort of mpg do you get and how many miles do you drive per day and what are the conditions?

My friend has a massive Volvo S60 D5 and he gets 45mpg around the doors! I can't believe Lexus only states 38mpg in their brochure.

I have another question too RE the seats in the Sport but I will place this in a different thread.

Cheers,

Lee.

I have luxury (SE-L) and I travel 7kms to work. Usually I stop twice on the way there and twice on the way back. I go between 40 and 90kph.

Then once or twice per week I go to next city, what is 50kms by higway, I go 140kph. Occasionally I go to the city, some jams, shopping etc.

I drive normally - not aggressive and not slow either. I tend to use the wehicle heavy weight, though. (eg. I accelerate and leave the car go on neutral, if I see slow traffic in front of me etc...)

My consumption goes between 6,2 and 6,9, my before-last tank was 7,1 - I noticed that in high temperatures (we had 30 degrees last week) the consumption rises slightly (approximately by 0,3l)

From last two tanks I started to mark down my consumptions to www.spritmonitor.de, the result you can see in my signature.

PS: if you are looking for car with low consumption, IS220d is not the right choise. It takes slightly more than competition.

Active driving style in a city - i have 25MPG...

Motorway - in about 37MPG.

BTW i'm going to upgrade ECU 'firmware' soon - will see are there any changes in consumption...

Actually - 220d is not very economic...

Frankly speaking - it seems to be not so realistic to say "38mpg" in mixed mode - it is better to say 32 :)

Yes, if you will drive like an angel (and always get not higher than 1500rpm) - it will be near from the brochure :)

Anyway, this is great car and i'm really enjoying it.

Yes there is an extensive thread but most of the inputs are of the "unsatisfied" type. I like Matus idea of the signature showing current performance.

Me ...11000 klms 6.2 litres per 100 klms since the outset (45.6 mpg) last 5 tanks (47.06mpg)...I am obviously a "satisfied type" and as such would argue strongly that the car is economical. If members include such data in their signature it would also be interesting to see the car year to compare experiences across the models released. its my view that either something has been fixed...Lexus have not annouced it so as to avoid a recall or some of us do not thrash the car going from A to B.

Jamboo is correct when he has described the car as tight and freeing up to give better economy...I'm averaging 400 miles a week...all moderate roads...no dual-carriageway...no motorway...40 to 100 klm per hour limits. :) :) :D

BTW i'm going to upgrade ECU 'firmware' soon - will see are there any changes in consumption...

Frankly speaking - it seems to be not so realistic to say "38mpg" in mixed mode - it is better to say 32 :)

Yes, if you will drive like an angel (and always get not higher than 1500rpm) - it will be near from the brochure :)

man, 25mpg around the doors can not be right! That is terrible.

I have the chance to purchase a Mesa Red 220d Sport with MM. My current car returns 38-40mpg for my daily 30-70mph trips to work and back doing 250 miles per week and I would like to keep the consumption of my new car similar to this, hence my questions here. I have searched though the posts but most of the guy's on here specify long trips etc. which is not my normal driving condition.

VrmmVrmm has a more positive story here, 47mpg sounds very good for his driving conditions. I notice his build date is Jan 2007 where the one I am looking at is July 31 2006 which posts suggest are outside of the "problem" area?

Can someone preferably in the UK with a similar driving condition to me and with a car of similar date post their findings on fuel economy.

Thanks,

Lee.

the best is to get the car from the dealer and do your round in one day. I am pretty sure they will lend you the car for one day.

The boardcomputer calculates the consumption with great accuracy.

I have a SE 220d that was new in December 2006. At first the car was returning 34 to 36mpg :duh: on the run to work. This run is 60 miles split in to 14 miles of B roads-40 miles of motorway then 5 miles of slow town roads( up-to 90mph on the motorway-60ish on the B roads and 30 to 40 in town ) This has gone up slowly as the miles have piled on (17k now) and was up to 39mpg when the VSC light came on for the third time. Lexus have now replaced the ECU and fitted the 5th injector and the MPG went straight up to 44.9mpg :D . This can be improved if I drive with care but that 180bhp rush is addictive!. I have driven all the alternative cars in this class and I can say I made the best choice without doubt.

Hope it helps and good luck.

I have a SE 220d that was new in December 2006. At first the car was returning 34 to 36mpg :duh: on the run to work. This run is 60 miles split in to 14 miles of B roads-40 miles of motorway then 5 miles of slow town roads( up-to 90mph on the motorway-60ish on the B roads and 30 to 40 in town ) This has gone up slowly as the miles have piled on (17k now) and was up to 39mpg when the VSC light came on for the third time. Lexus have now replaced the ECU and fitted the 5th injector and the MPG went straight up to 44.9mpg :D . This can be improved if I drive with care but that 180bhp rush is addictive!. I have driven all the alternative cars in this class and I can say I made the best choice without doubt.

Hope it helps and good luck.

There's obviously something very wrong with some cars from what I am reading. What year/month was you car manufactured ninja?

... Sorry scrap that I should read properly next time! :tomato:

L.

What year/month was you car manufactured ninja?

I think this is hard question, because on european models there is no sign of manufacture date. U.S. models have the date on a plate (I think on B-pillar on drivers side)

If you order a car and it goes to manufacture, then you can pretty close guess the date, but if you take car from saloon...

Anyway, I took the car from saloon and the dealer said that it is 12/2005.

man, 25mpg around the doors can not be right! That is terrible.

I have the chance to purchase a Mesa Red 220d Sport with MM. My current car returns 38-40mpg for my daily 30-70mph trips to work and back doing 250 miles per week and I would like to keep the consumption of my new car similar to this, hence my questions here. I have searched though the posts but most of the guy's on here specify long trips etc. which is not my normal driving condition.

VrmmVrmm has a more positive story here, 47mpg sounds very good for his driving conditions. I notice his build date is Jan 2007 where the one I am looking at is July 31 2006 which posts suggest are outside of the "problem" area?

Can someone preferably in the UK with a similar driving condition to me and with a car of similar date post their findings on fuel economy.

Thanks,

Lee.

It ain't that simple...not from my experience...

VrrmVrrm drives the car where it's in its comfort zone - a non-Sport driven at between 40 and 60 (4th and 5th gear) will give you respectable ecnomy, but I know for a fact that the cars from the competition will smash the IS220d at those speeds -

A BMW 320i (Petrol) will match it, and any diesel BMW (Incl a 535d - a twin turbo, 3 litre straight six diesel) will at least match it. High 40's should be attainable in any of those...

So, you see - it ain't that simple...

A February 2007 220d Sport here. Not much miles on the clock (2000 or so), but seems to return around 46 mpg on the highway. That's right, 46 mpg with a fresh Sport. The best trip average I've seen so far was almost 48 mpg. Very happy with mine, obviously :D

A February 2007 220d Sport here. Not much miles on the clock (2000 or so), but seems to return around 46 mpg on the highway. That's right, 46 mpg with a fresh Sport. The best trip average I've seen so far was almost 48 mpg. Very happy with mine, obviously :D

Very happy with mine.

Have a 220D Se, long motorway runs give 40-41 mpg (Oxfordshire to Kent) and local trips (town) can see 38 mpg lowest.

Could be getting more though, perhaps 44-45mpg - maybe it's my driving style.

And I dont hang about either!

At Last!!!

Jamboo I think you hit the nail on-the-head...the car has as you put it a comfort zone...it is a high powered (torque wise) saloon car...if driven to its spec it achieves economy. The sports car version of the 220D as you would expect is a sports car, even higher performance and less economical...nothing new here.

This forum has great contributions some comparisons I feel are are valid but not all...the Lexus in my view looks better than anything in its class...there is perhaps a little in the handling...but the economy matches what it says in the book...probably achieved based on a test bed running at approx 55 mph. It follows therefore that the economy is there if you drive at this speed and don't drive at 75-80 mph.

Yes the opposition (don't like the phrase) are sometimes better in what has to said very small amounts...but mostly the cars compared are not to Euro IV or V they are not as heavy they often are not 2.2 litre able to deliver bhp figures comparable to the IS220 D.

I have mentioned before that I have driven merc's for the past 12 years ...great cars...BUT no better than Lexus. This is without doubt the best looking, most economic (2.2), most comfortable, best finished car I ever owned...I love it. I hasten to add I would love it a lot less if I had the problems some of you have had.

I still believe, Lexus have fixed something but kept it quiet...it would be interesting if some of the late 2005 and early 2006 owners could avail of a drive in the circa 2007 model that has loosened out. Its my belief a few of you would think and know you had a different machine under you.

I believe this car will go on from a bad start to be a winner...in the 4 months I've owned mine I did not see many here in Ireland...but now the car is all over the place...many colours ...great to see.

...it would be interesting if some of the late 2005 and early 2006 owners could avail of a drive in the circa 2007 model that has loosened out. Its my belief a few of you would think and know you had a different machine under you.

I believe this car will go on from a bad start to be a winner...in the 4 months I've owned mine I did not see many here in Ireland...but now the car is all over the place...many colours ...great to see.

Spendid idea - mine is due another rattle visit, and I will ask the dealer for a courtesy car which is a newer 220d (07)...I also agree that there are so many about....which is a bad thing...rarity going, going, gone... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
i have a 2006 [nov] is220D, its got 7000 miles on it and im getting 30/31 mpg, i wish i had gone for the petrol model.

My PETROL IS250 SE-L returned an average 34 mpg on the way to Leeds on Tuesday evening (210 miles), almost all motorway, little traffic, and average speed ever so slightly over the Mway limit :whistling:

now done 17.5k miles...avge mileage is 38mpg...so getting better

Hi

Regulary get high 30s on town/short runs, low 40s on motorway runs.

Happy with economy.

This is my own personal opion - Lexus IS220d great car, brilliant stereo/multimedia/sat nav.

But if I had the choice between the IS220d and BMW 530d, it would be the BMW anyday.....

These figures are shocking to be honest.

That aside I test drove an SE and to be honest for 24k as appose to my current vectra of 12k give me the vectra any day.

Fuel Consumption was awfull with 24mpg on my 30 minute test drive (granted it only had 28 miles on the clock), it rattled like hell (which my vectra has never once done) and for all those thinking that the new models are able to cruse at 70mph in 6th think again, it's not possible, even the dealer admitted you couldn't do it unless above 75. It was also slower than my veccy (1.9 CDTI 150) although again the car was brand new so not fully bed in but I wouldn't expect it to loosen up all that much anyway.

One good point though, the multimedia is awsome, if you like your tunes this is a must, however in my case not worth the extra 12k it would cost to change :crybaby: on goes the hunt.

L.

...it would be interesting if some of the late 2005 and early 2006 owners could avail of a drive in the circa 2007 model that has loosened out. Its my belief a few of you would think and know you had a different machine under you.

Spendid idea - mine is due another rattle visit, and I will ask the dealer for a courtesy car which is a newer 220d (07)...I also agree that there are so many about....which is a bad thing...rarity going, going, gone... :lol:

Jamboo - how did you go about getting the courtesy car? They keep telling me they don't have any therefore I have been driving a Vauxhall (Car hire, RAC) for the majority of the last 2 - 3 weeks.... It has been into the dealer 3 times in 3 weeks, I got the car december 06, don't know when it was manufactured ? It wouldn't be half as frustrating if they gave me a Lexus for the time being... Also, i'm getting the 5th injector changed, AGAIN, ever get the feeling that you are just being messed about ??!! On a more positive note, the only reason I still have the car is because it was so great for the first 10K miles and I really hope they can fix it...

I just ask them nicely...

I've been too nice, i think. Time to kick up a fuss. Lexus have just lost out to Audi because of my issues as a work mate was stuck between the 2 and went for the safer, more reliable option.... lol, low blow :tomato:

I will say now though, in teh interest of balance, if they resolve all of this rubbish then I will reply to all of my negative posts with positive ones. :D