Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Rolls Backward While On Drive

I've got my IS for a week now and just put in 150miles in it. It's got 112k miles but it drives like a brand new car, smooth and no rattle at all. Just noticed today while I was stuck in traffic that it rolls backward while on Drive, so had to use my handbrake to keep it still. Has anyone experienced the same? How do I rectify this issue? How did most of you paint your caliper, spray or brush? Also is it normal that the boot only opens about 2 inches when the remote button is pressed or is it suppose to open all the way. Thanks.

Richard

It is perfectly normal for the car to roll backwards, if you're on an uphill slope. A gentle slope won't do it, but something like you'll find in a multi-storey car park is more than steep enough. Either hold it on the footbrake, or apply the handbrake as you have been doing.

I brushed my calipers. Go to Halfords and buy either a tin of Hammerite in your chosen colour, or one of their tins of caliper paint. Get a 1/2 inch brush, remove the wheel, brush with a wirebrush and clean up with white spirit, and carefully paint away. If you're clumsy, then take the caliper off first to avoid getting paint on the disk/pads.

Some boots open all the way, some don't. I think they're probably supposed to open right up but the springs weaken with age - it is possible to replace the springs with those fitted to cars that were originally supplied with spoilers, however I have heard on here that those springs are so powerful that if you don't have the extra weight of the spoiler on there the bootlid will fly up so hard it will hit the rear screen and crack it! Obviously it'd be better to just live with having to lift the lid a little...

It is perfectly normal for the car to roll backwards, if you're on an uphill slope. A gentle slope won't do it, but something like you'll find in a multi-storey car park is more than steep enough. Either hold it on the footbrake, or apply the handbrake as you have been doing.

Thanks for the reply. I'm just worried because my previous car (Merc C class Auto) never rolled backward no matter how steep the slope was.

of the autos i have driven none have rolled back when on a hill no matter how steep.

I'm a driving instructor who teaches in an automatic. It is a Nissan Micra and has done more miles over the 6 years of use that some cars do in a life time. It will hold itself on very steep for just long enough for my pupils to get on the gas pedal without it rolling backwards. My GS300 which has hardly got warm in it's life time will not hold itself at all. In my experience of driving many automatics, it depends on the car and the size and weight of it. Some semi-auto's like Toyota's MMT and Vauxhall's easy-tronic will not creep at all, let alone hold themselves on a hill.

of the autos i have driven none have rolled back when on a hill no matter how steep.

I'm a driving instructor who teaches in an automatic. It is a Nissan Micra and has done more miles over the 6 years of use that some cars do in a life time. It will hold itself on very steep for just long enough for my pupils to get on the gas pedal without it rolling backwards. My GS300 which has hardly got warm in it's life time will not hold itself at all. In my experience of driving many automatics, it depends on the car and the size and weight of it. Some semi-auto's like Toyota's MMT and Vauxhall's easy-tronic will not creep at all, let alone hold themselves on a hill.

I could be wrong here but to my knowledge there are different types of automatic boxes. Some never disengage to clutch so will hold on most hills. Some though as a fuel saving method will completely disengage on a flat surface or when the brake pedal is down and the car is stopped and partially on a hill if it detects the car rolling back. However this has a limit so will allow it to slip to get you to use the brake.

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but especially if you've had a merc before this, the Lexus does not creep forward as strongly as mercs do.

Therefore, it doesn't have as much power on steep hills and will roll backwards. There is however a hill hold function that will stop the car from rolling backwards, but if you don't bring the car to a complete stop before letting go of thae brakes, it won't always engage.

It used to bother me as well, but ever since I understood how to make it work, it will never roll back - and I prefer it as I can let go of the pedal and it won't roll forwards (as it would with most other cars)

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but especially if you've had a merc before this, the Lexus does not creep forward as strongly as mercs do.

Therefore, it doesn't have as much power on steep hills and will roll backwards. There is however a hill hold function that will stop the car from rolling backwards, but if you don't bring the car to a complete stop before letting go of thae brakes, it won't always engage.

It used to bother me as well, but ever since I understood how to make it work, it will never roll back - and I prefer it as I can let go of the pedal and it won't roll forwards (as it would with most other cars)

So you mean that just bringing it to a full stop before letting go of the brake won't let the car to roll backward.

So you mean that just bringing it to a full stop before letting go of the brake won't let the car to roll backward.

Yep, it's strange, but you'll actually feel the system engage, and it will hold the car where it is - but in my experience it only does so when you bring the car to a complete halt. If you don't it tends to roll forward as far as it can, and then roll back again as the system doesn't engage.

Try it out for a bit, eventually you'll figure out exactly how to make it work every time and it will become normal - if it doesn't work, then I'd suggest getting it checked out :)

Yep, it's strange, but you'll actually feel the system engage, and it will hold the car where it is - but in my experience it only does so when you bring the car to a complete halt. If you don't it tends to roll forward as far as it can, and then roll back again as the system doesn't engage.

Try it out for a bit, eventually you'll figure out exactly how to make it work every time and it will become normal - if it doesn't work, then I'd suggest getting it checked out :)

Thanks m8.

we have opels at work and they do fine on a steep hill........

• 6 months later...

This happens on my IS, only on really steep hills (I live in a market town so there a few of them!) If I bring the car to a complete stop then release the brake it will still roll backwards, but after a second or so the car will hold itself, am I just being dense with the hill control system or should I get it checked out?

(2004 IS200, bought from dealer - 34k on the clock)