Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am thinking about changing my vehicle, well in fact, I have to change my vehicle for something a little more practical in terms of loading space. I had an RX400h loan car some time back and was impressed, however, I did only have it for a short period of time.

I have a new IS250, '06plate, thinking of chopping it in for the RX400h, few questions...

1. Economy, on paper they seem similar to the IS250, is this the case in reality

2. Over all running costs?

3. whats your opinion of them, pros and cons, are they any good??

The RX400h is a great car,I,ve been lucky to own one for 18 months.

However,don't get one if economy is important to you.I am averaging 30.0mpg at the moment.I have eeked our 37mpg once on a long run(A roads and M-way).Usually on a long run keeping at 70-80mph it's more like 33mpg.

If you use a lot of that instant torque to accelerate and blast past things your economy will naturally suffer. ;)

Also,in common with other Lexuses,running costs are not cheap,but they are in line with what you would expect from a premium manufacturer.

Also if you drive into London you can get exemption from tha congestion charge for an annual fee of £10.

The RX400h represents a great compromise between lower CO2 emissions and decent performance in a very practical package-comfortable and roomy.

I would not get one if you envisage anything resembling serious off-roading.But as a Chelsea tractor for those with a bit of a conscience on environmental issues,but who enjoy a bit of performance I think it's great.

If you are changing from a totally different class of car,though,do make sure you want an SUV,as driving characteristics are going to be very different(i.e.don't buy an RX if you want a "driver's car".)

Thanks Ullevi!

That is all very useful, funily enough you are the third person to warn me to make sure before buying an SUV....

I have arranged a loan for a weekend, so I will definitley make my mind up then...

Pants,

I have driven some SUV's - my only comment is watch out when braking - seriously - the awe and pitch (especially in the RX) can take a bit of getting used to - especially from high speed. Also, when you put your foot down mid corner, be prepared to grab a few things...

Other than that, the lack of road noise and overall refinement of the RX400h is to die for...it's brilliant...

Pants,

I have driven some SUV's - my only comment is watch out when braking - seriously - the awe and pitch (especially in the RX) can take a bit of getting used to - especially from high speed. Also, when you put your foot down mid corner, be prepared to grab a few things...

Other than that, the lack of road noise and overall refinement of the RX400h is to die for...it's brilliant...

Jambo, you have to be one of the most responsive, helpful chaps on this forum.... Thanks for that, whilst I have the test car for the weekend, I will have feel round corners and perhaps emergency brake it somewhere to see.

I wish i could of afforded a 400, but ihave just done the deal to chop my IS250 in for an RX350.

Now and again I feel like doing the same - 06 250 Sport for the RX350 - did you get a decent deal or were you disappointed with the part ex given?

Pants,

Jambo, you have to be one of the most responsive, helpful chaps on this forum.... Thanks for that, whilst I have the test car for the weekend, I will have feel round corners and perhaps emergency brake it somewhere to see.

No worries mate, glad to help :whistling:

Seriously, when you sit inside an RX - you realise what you're missing compared to an IS - loads of space, airy feel, and fantastic driving position. The Volvo XC90 and X5 probably drive a little better, but the Lexus really does feel the most comfortable and best put together, and with the right spec best specced too. Add the wonderfully quiet ride and OK it's no 7 seater, but if you need the practicality then it fits the bill. I think we'll probably go down the RX350 (possibly 400h) route next time too...I think you'll be smitten!

You'll be hurtling down the Motorway and only realise how fast you're going when you check out the speedo...

Good luck! I'm jealous!

I went from having had to IS200's to my RX300 which Ihave had for a year now. Had no issues with it apart from my own stupid scrapes and the fuel economy is very poor. I love it though, not a "drivers car" but loads of room and very spacious. Kids like it too. Next car will probably be a RX400h.

Well I had one for the weekend and I am very very impressed.

More power, more space, more comfort being 6' 4" tall, economy is excellent. I did the same trip I did in my IS250, rush hour, sat in queues, IS250 I average around 28mpg, RX400h I averaged at 39mpg!!! Impressive....

Downsides, it does not corner as well as the IS250, not sure on the looks in comparison, not sure you can compare them really as they are totally different cars, bit worried about the braking in the RX, you slam on the anchors in the wet and it does not feel as well put on the road as the IS, but again, being a big 4x4 I would not expect that anyway.

Over all though, very very impressed and it is looking very likely I am going to be changing next month if I can find one with the MM pack that allows me to play DVD in the front as well as the back, I believe the MM update happened on the Oct '06 models and newer, so I was told by the dealer....

Very nice though.

I also have looked at the BMW 335d estate, that shifts, not quite as much space though

• 5 weeks later...

Well I have my RX400h on the way, registered in Dec 2006, Alution (Spelling) grey, with grey leather, multimedia, having ICE fitted.

I can not wait to get my mits on it!

:winky:

Thanks Jamboo, same as you on that....

I feel I have lost "a little" on the looks front the RX aint bad looking but IS is a lovely looking motor, the practicalities and performance of the RX is really good.