Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Bought A 1999 Aristo Vertex!

vazoosh

Hi guys,this is my first post here,you guys seem to be the experts.I dont even know if this car has a cam belt or chain?Yes i'm a newbie,lol.

Basically i got the car due to the 2JZ GTE engine,the car drives beautifully but is sluggish in the lower rev range.The mods on it are just a stainless steel exhaust system,HKS induction kit and its been lowered,think its Tein but not sure.

I am planning to spend a bit on it very soon but need advice as i have only had the car for a few days.

Basically....i'd like it to be running at around 400-450bhp

I want to put as wide rims on it as poss,maybe 18x10" rear and 18x9" front (would this be possible?)Whats the offset on these cars.What tyres would be best for these size wheels,i like as much tyre as possible as i like to keep the ride nice.

At the moment i'm thinking of doing the following:

Denso iridium IK24 spark plugs

HKS cambelt (if required)

FMIC (is ARC any good?)

Replacing cats?

Uprated fuel pump (walbro)

HKS Super SQV BOV or Blitz blow off valve?

Front and rear strut braces

Uprated discs and pads - prolex grooved discs and Mintex pads (any good?)

Blitz or HKS Boost controller (will i need a fuel cut defencer?)

TOMS ecu or MINES or BLITZ

Will these mods get me to the 400BHP region?

Basically i want the car as a good allrounder,power and handling when i need it

I'd really appreciate your help and advice.

I was also wondering if you guys knew where to get everything i need and what sort or prices.

I'll have pics up here soon,hopefully....be a member here for a while,loving the car!!!!lol

congratulations on getting one.....most underated car !

on lack of power check all the intercooler piping as it can come loose and that looses ooomph

what colour is the car ?

on the mods you list they all seem sensible. The TOM's ecu is good but its exopensive and you have to send yours to japan for them to modify it......tis about £800/£1000 all in. Good thing about it is it removes the 155 mph limiter...bad thing is it expects 100 octane fuel :D

I've seen two customers cars with it already fitted BTW so you may want to check :winky:

Oh and welcome to the club !

Welcome to the club!!

I agree VERY under-rated car - everybody expects it to be some grandad car...little do they know :devil:

With regards to your mod list...here's my opinion :)...

Denso iridium IK24 spark plugs - Good choice!!

HKS cambelt (if required) - Not required...I'd much rather go and pick up a GReddy or Power Enterprise Super Timing Belt just to be safe.

FMIC (is ARC any good?) - Arc is one of the top dogs out there, but if you can try and find a GReddy 3-row for the same price.

Replacing cats? - Just go and do a full turbo-back exhaust system - I'd see Dave for a quality piece at a nice price ;).

Uprated fuel pump (walbro) - You could use the Walbro, or you can rewire the existing pump with thicker guage wire to give it the recommended voltage - either way ... a necessity at the power levels you're looking at.

HKS Super SQV BOV or Blitz blow off valve? - Do you like a LOUD chirp or a smooth wooosh...? Also not a necessity if the stocker is good.

Front and rear strut braces - Highly recommended - I suggest you pick up the TRD Front Brace as it is a SOLID piece unless you're looking to go with EDFC for the Tein Suspension then pick up the Tein Braces or even the Cusco braces. Also see if you can pick up TRD Race Sways along with TOMS Underbracing.

Uprated discs and pads - prolex grooved discs and Mintex pads (any good?) - If anything see if you can upgrade to the UK/US Spec Supra 4 pot calipers - that along with stock discs and pads will give you all the braking power you would need at your power levels.

Blitz or HKS Boost controller (will i need a fuel cut defencer?) - If you go with one of the below ECU's you wouldn't need a FCD, I'd personally go and pick up a MINE's ECU for £550-600 with increased timing, programmed to run on 98octane fuel, all limiters along with speed, boost, fuel removed and rev limit increased to 7500rpm.

TOMS ecu or MINES or BLITZ - I'd say Mine's as it's cheaper and easier to get ahold of - the TOMS you're mostly paying for the brand :).

Hope that helps.

congratulations on getting one.....most underated car !

on lack of power check all the intercooler piping as it can come loose and that looses ooomph

what colour is the car ?

on the mods you list they all seem sensible. The TOM's ecu is good but its exopensive and you have to send yours to japan for them to modify it......tis about £800/£1000 all in. Good thing about it is it removes the 155 mph limiter...bad thing is it expects 100 octane fuel :D

I've seen two customers cars with it already fitted BTW so you may want to check :winky:

Oh and welcome to the club !

Cheers mate,you guys seem helpful here :D

Yeah the car does seem underated!I know the capabilties with that engine block,i just want to do it as cheap as poss.Whats the best place to go to install all these mods,any recommended garages?

I think i'll give the TOMS ecu a miss then,wont be able to run 100ron all the time,i usually use optimax 98RON.Do i have to get an aftermarket ecu or is there any so called - piggy back ecu available? :blink:

Oh yeah and any info on the wheels etc?

btw the car is a metallic blue,a few little dings and scratches,nothing that cant be sorted B)

Welcome to the club!!

I agree VERY under-rated car - everybody expects it to be some grandad car...little do they know :devil:

With regards to your mod list...here's my opinion :)...

Denso Iridium IK24 spark plugs - Good choice!!

HKS cambelt (if required) - Not required...I'd much rather go and pick up a GReddy or Power Enterprise Super Timing Belt just to be safe.

FMIC (is ARC any good?) - Arc is one of the top dogs out there, but if you can try and find a GReddy 3-row for the same price.

Replacing cats? - Just go and do a full turbo-back exhaust system - I'd see Dave for a quality piece at a nice price ;).

Uprated fuel pump (walbro) - You could use the Walbro, or you can rewire the existing pump with thicker guage wire to give it the recommended voltage - either way ... a necessity at the power levels you're looking at.

HKS Super SQV BOV or Blitz blow off valve? - Do you like a LOUD chirp or a smooth wooosh...? Also not a necessity if the stocker is good.

Front and rear strut braces - Highly recommended - I suggest you pick up the TRD Front Brace as it is a SOLID piece unless you're looking to go with EDFC for the Tein Suspension then pick up the Tein Braces or even the Cusco braces. Also see if you can pick up TRD Race Sways along with TOMS Underbracing.

Uprated discs and pads - prolex grooved discs and Mintex pads (any good?) - If anything see if you can upgrade to the UK/US Spec Supra 4 pot calipers - that along with stock discs and pads will give you all the braking power you would need at your power levels.

Blitz or HKS Boost controller (will i need a fuel cut defencer?) - If you go with one of the below ECU's you wouldn't need a FCD, I'd personally go and pick up a MINE's ECU for £550-600 with increased timing, programmed to run on 98octane fuel, all limiters along with speed, boost, fuel removed and rev limit increased to 7500rpm.

TOMS ecu or MINES or BLITZ - I'd say Mine's as it's cheaper and easier to get ahold of - the TOMS you're mostly paying for the brand :).

Hope that helps.

Cheers mate,good to meet you all.

Thanx for that buddy,looks like you know your stuff!Noticed you have already done quite a bit to ur Aristo,is it running fine etc,what sort of boost you running?

One question....who's Dave? :blink: lol

Where can i pick up a MINE's ECU?

With the mods mentioned what sort of power gains am i looking at?

Any recommended garages?

Hi and Welcome to LOC :)

Good Luck with the mods.

Thanx chips,i just dont want to f*** up if you know what i mean!Want to take care of this thing,cant believe how good these cars are!

warm welcome indeed.......

when do we see pics of the car.

and will you be joining us at JAE......in 2 months

Thanx :)

I'll put some pics up soon

Whats JAE?remember i'm a newbie,lol

Hi there and welcome to the LOC, nice list you have there and I hope all goes well.

Regards,

Jamie

Cheers mate,yeah i'm hoping it goes well too,cant afford to have many problems

Oh yeah...nice ride :winky:

excellent, look forward to meeting you and chewing the fat over a stella and a bun

Lol,i see you have a 2JZ GTE in your IS!!!***** dood,thats one hell of an achievement!

I'm dave :D

I have one (aristo) and have done what you want to do to it :whistling: and a little bit more !

So you're the infamous Dave!!lol,pleased to meet ya,what sort of power gain am i looking at with the mods mentioned?Do you know where i can get a MINE's ECU?

Interested to know what your Aristo is runing at?

excellent, look forward to meeting you and chewing the fat over a stella and a bun

Lol,i see you have a 2JZ GTE in your IS!!!***** dood,thats one hell of an achievement!

I'm dave :D

I have one (aristo) and have done what you want to do to it :whistling: and a little bit more !

So you're the infamous Dave!!lol,pleased to meet ya,what sort of power gain am i looking at with the mods mentioned?Do you know where i can get a MINE's ECU?

Interested to know what your Aristo is runing at?

I'd go for the HKS V-Pro myself mine is at 400 bhp (ish) the ish is due to it being a auto so "proper" reading is quite difficult to achieve

Congrats Vazoosh. Regarding the mines ecu, I got information from www.mines-wave.com for my already installed ecu. Typed in the S/N and they replied with whats been mapped. Altho octane rating is set to 100 I'm using 98 with no problems.

Congrats Vazoosh. Regarding the mines ecu, I got information from www.mines-wave.com for my already installed ecu. Typed in the S/N and they replied with whats been mapped. Altho octane rating is set to 100 I'm using 98 with no problems.

Thanx dood,i'll check that site out :)

• 2 weeks later...
My car is running around 450hp on pump fuel @ 1.2bar boost ... http://www.lexusvertex.com

If you run a MINES or TOMS ecu etc. you *must* run 100RON. If you run 98 ron, you risk detonation.

Simply add some millers octane booster to RON98.

Octane Booster only adds a couple of points of Octane...which isn't enough. TOMS or MINES ecu can come programmed for 98octane fuel, although if you do go with 100octane map/tune on the ecu you could also run 100% Methanol Injection which would definitely help increase timing, lower intake temps, lower EGT's, etc..resulting in an increase in power! Although you'd have to get the A/F tuned too.