Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pc Help Needed !

Hopefully someone can help me please.

I have a Packard Bell imedia 3054 pc and when i switch it on, all that happens is the light on the front of the tower flashes like crazy, and the fan is running constantly.

There are no lights on the keyboard/disc drives, and nothing on the monitor.

I also need something that is on my hard drive.

Any suggestions

Thanks

I'm not sure what that is indicating as I have to admit I haven't done a lot with these sort of computers for a long time, but I'm guessing you've either had a CPU, memory or motherboard failure, potentially even the PSU may be acting up.

The easiest way to get the data from the disk is to remove the hard disk and then connect it to another machine at which point you should be able to access all of the files on there.

It should just be a case of removing the cover, then remove the power and IDE ribbon cable from the hard disk drive, then just hook it up in another machine, note you may need to change the disk jumper config so that it's set as a slave instead of the master - you can't have two devices on the same cable set to the same as it confuses the controller.

Being Packard Bell the disk may already be set to the Cable Select option - that shoudl automatically choose the setting dependant on which connector on the IDE cable is connected - the jumper settings are usually always printed on the label on top of the disk mate :)

Good luck :)

Thanks for your reply Aiden,

I half guessed it would be to do with the hardware, i know how to get the hard drive out, so will take it out and put it into another machine to get out what i want.

Ive already disconnected the disc drives and hard drive to see if it would boot up, but no luck.

Thanks again, will let you know how i get on

John, A few things to try mate ......

Remove memory and check for bleeping sounds, if present - memory fault

Remove the the Graphics Card and again check for bleeping, if present - VGA fault

If nothing from either, I'd say you have a PSU problem or the APM on the M/B is giving you grief, you can easy check the PSU by replacing it.

If M/B fault, depending on OS, easily replaced. If your running XPP, you may need to edit the reg to allow the OS to continue running after changing the M/B

If unsure, send a PM with your mob # and I'll sort things out for you.

BR

Paul

If the CD drive doesn't open that sounds like no power out of the PSU to the drives, I take it you could open it before.

Thanks Steve

The cd drive was opening and working ok before, if i disconnect the drive from the motherboard, by the ribbon cable, the drive will open, as it still has power to it.

Thanks Paul, you have a pm

Thanks for all the comments and a big thankyou to Paul (norkep) who phoned me and went through some items with me, we have come to the conclusion its the motherboard that has failed, so i will be looking at buying a new pc.

I will have to make do with my laptop for now

John

Thanks for all the comments and a big thankyou to Paul (norkep) who phoned me and went through some items with me, we have come to the conclusion its the motherboard that has failed, so i will be looking at buying a new pc.

I will have to make do with my laptop for now

John

Not a problem mate, that's what friends are there for, hope you get things going soon

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links