Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus 430 - How Much Can It Cost To Take Off The Cylinder Heads?

My Lexus 430 decided to almost empty itself of engine coolant (radiator damage) without giving me ANY warnings or even a temperature gauge rise, until the cylinder head gasket blew and left me stationary on a motorway. Lexus service have so far ignored the fact that the sensors and gauges failed to do their job, and are asking me for £2500+VAT JUST TO TAKE THE HEADS OFF FOR INSPECTION !! That won't include actually fixing the damn thing. I think this is a complete rip-off. Anybody else had a similar problem and can you give me an idea of how much it cost to fix??

Is the car under manufacturers warranty?

If not, why not take to a good local garage, surely they wil be cheaper?

Yes, that was my first thought, but I doubt the local garage will be able to fix the sensor problems...

Yes, that was my first thought, but I doubt the local garage will be able to fix the sensor problems...

Worth asking

OUCH!

I would definately explain your situation to lexus UK or head office in Japan. Toyota operate a fair value policy which covers events like this that happen to people that for some reason are not covered or are just out of waranty.

Can't hurt to try, especially as you had no warnings come on.

Ouch!

There are quite a few engines that have the sensors in the wrong place and are therefore useless in the event of a total coolant loss.

I would have thought that Lexus would have known better.

Sorry to hear about it :(

Good luck :)

check for recalls, it is worth checking the pipes from the radiator especially the lower one which might have split hence the no time to warn you of the problem, £2.5k just to examine that is very high you can buy a car for that

That's an interesting thought. Where can I find a listing of recalls? It did look like the bottom right radiator was visibly damp, but that could have been splash through from a ruptured pipe as you suggest.

Thats all you need !! just to top it off I can imagine your distress and sorrow if it was stolen ! :winky: :winky: :winky: Ian.

Oh....my car has been nicked and then bu***d, you mean? What a coincidence!

Thanks for all the posts and useful suggestions. I looked quickly today but didn't find a contact number for Lexus GB. Anyone know it, please?

I found this, but i havn't tried it myself:

Lexus (GB) Ltd

Great Burgh Heath

Yew Tree Bottom Road

Epsom

Surrey

KT18 5XS

Tel: 01737 363634