Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Fifth Injector Problems

I was wondering if there are any users who have engine management problems with thier IS220d. In particular the fifth Injector, I have 50k miles on my car and it has now broken down six times. I would like to get some feedback on your issues as Lexus Stoke now have at least 8 vehicles with the same issues and Lexus GB cannot guarantee a fix to this issue. Any comments, please send an email to me at adrian@cesurpack.com

Thanks

I was wondering if there are any users who have engine management problems with thier IS220d. In particular the fifth Injector, I have 50k miles on my car and it has now broken down six times. I would like to get some feedback on your issues as Lexus Stoke now have at least 8 vehicles with the same issues and Lexus GB cannot guarantee a fix to this issue. Any comments, please send an email to me at adrian@cesurpack.com

Thanks

6 Breakdowns? Same root cause? Where is Lexus's GB's pledge to get their technical team involved? Or is it they who ave been thwarted?

What fuel do you use? Supermarket or other?

Thanks

6 Breakdowns? Same root cause? Where is Lexus's GB's pledge to get their technical team involved? Or is it they who ave been thwarted?

What fuel do you use? Supermarket or other?

Hi Mate,

Lexus GB have admitted they have a serious problem with build up of carbon on the fifth injector, every 8k miles the car goes into safe mode and looses all power and the warning on the dash is no VSC. I have currently got a new GS300 but its such a pain. I do 60k miles a year so the fuel cost is really hurting. I always use BP fuel. i have had nothing but trouble with this car, so far including cars when my vehicle has had services i have had 26.

The service side is of lexus is good but im going to make a big issue of this, i need to get out of my contract hire agreement, i need something reliable and unfortunately, my IS220d isnt up to the job.

Regards

Adrian

Mine packed up with this problem last week - didn't know it was a repeating issue :crybaby:

Took a week to fix as Lex Cov had broken their remap machine but after the fix I have to say it's made a huge amount of difference. The car is loads smoother, picks up more cleanly from lower revs and the consumption has changed remarkably - I now can't average below 40mpg even on mostly urban and on a good run at the weekend to Wales and back I averaged 45 over the whole trip so very happy.

If it happens again though I'll be very angry, Coventry assured me it would not happen again as this was a second iteration of the modified part that would not fail repeatedly.

well mine packed up today. (07 sport)

parts due to arrive on 20th june. was told that the part os being revised (yeah right).

there are 7 others at the dealers with the same problem.

just out of interest - what replacement car have people received of lexus whilst theirs are off the road.

parts due to arrive on 20th june. was told that the part os being revised (yeah right).

just out of interest - what replacement car have people received of lexus whilst theirs are off the road.

It's interesting that their current TV ads are pushing the 220D

Thanks

I have 11000 miles on the clock. It's been in the garage 3 times in 3 weeks for the same problem. The second visit got the 5th injector change but still get the same problem. Up unitl now I have been very patient and understanding but the way I feel now, I just want rid of it. I'm driving a Vauxhall Vectra as a replacement car and I am dreading getting the Lexus back. Obviously the Vectra has nothing on the Lexus, but i'm confident that the Vectra won't break down or go into safe mode or whatever...

Is there a fix ? Does anyone know ? I think if I get it back and it happens again, i'm going to make the car 'limp' through the showroom window!!!!

• 5 months later...

Lexus Chester gave me an is250se with tiptronic & multimedia while my is220se mm was in for checks overnight.

Mine went in with drastic fuel returns...32mpg on motorway and best was 39mpg over the month...

When it was returned they said everything was fine with the car and no faults found...driving home got 46-49mpg and continue to do so!!!

From 410miles a tank to 550miles a tank...Also 6th feels better and now at 65mph change rather than 75-80mph.

Changed Injectors or flashed and re mapped ecu...who knows???! But definitely did something to it!

HAPPY

Lexus Derby however where I bought the car have a totally different customer care/service...

It's probably the best I've been to without a doubt and I have visited half a dozen in the UK.

Chester is now my local dealer by 100miles compared, otherwise Derby would be my choice to visit.

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...
I'm no expert, but I believe the diesel Lexus engine has a 5th injector on the fuel rail somewhere ?

Hi thought i would offer some feed back here for you,i used to work for lexus/toyota up to 6 weeks ago.There are some issues with the 5th injector and all injectors for that matter with the 220d.the engine is from the avensis T180 to start with,where it had small problems with the e.g.r system and water consumption.when they fitted it to the is220 they made it rear wheel drive and re-maped the e.c.u to allow for better driving.this caused the car to over fuel on short runs cloging up the e.g.r even faster and causing ruff idle and poor m.p.g(the car was never great on m.p.g before).the 5th injector is for cold start and extra fuel for high throttle response(very basic discription here)the problem was it was staying in to long and over fueling(this is the e.c.u re-flash you are talking about to aid the problem).the over fuelng was cloging up the injectors making the whole problem worse.Lexus have made new injectors now with a differnt spray nossile and coating to ease the issue.there have been a few cars that have blown head gaskets due to these problems.

I hope that shines a bit of light on the subject for you all?

I'm no expert, but I believe the diesel Lexus engine has a 5th injector on the fuel rail somewhere ?

Hi thought i would offer some feed back here for you,i used to work for lexus/toyota up to 6 weeks ago.There are some issues with the 5th injector and all injectors for that matter with the 220d.the engine is from the avensis T180 to start with,where it had small problems with the e.g.r system and water consumption.when they fitted it to the is220 they made it rear wheel drive and re-maped the e.c.u to allow for better driving.this caused the car to over fuel on short runs cloging up the e.g.r even faster and causing ruff idle and poor m.p.g(the car was never great on m.p.g before).the 5th injector is for cold start and extra fuel for high throttle response(very basic discription here)the problem was it was staying in to long and over fueling(this is the e.c.u re-flash you are talking about to aid the problem).the over fuelng was cloging up the injectors making the whole problem worse.Lexus have made new injectors now with a differnt spray nossile and coating to ease the issue.there have been a few cars that have blown head gaskets due to these problems.

I hope that shines a bit of light on the subject for you all?

Thanks for all these informations ! I was told about a new version of the fifth injector, but not for the 4 other ones ! Can you tell me please when this modification of these 4 injectors was done ?

My car's fuel consumption had deteriorated a bit over the last few thousand miles (from 39-40mpg down to 35-36mpg) and last Thursday after 38k it displayed "Check VSC" and went into limp-home mode. I took it in to Lexus Swindon during my lunch break on Friday so they could run a diagnostic check and it was really bad: THEY HAD NO DANISH PASTRIES!! Just coffee. What kind of Lexus dealer has no danish pastries? Lexus Reading has had them when I've been in. It's just not right.

Anyway the part arrived Monday and yesterday they collected and returned my car, replaced the injector, washed and vaccumed it (car not injector) and filled the tank with £40 diesel to make up for the shock of my Lexus actually having a fault.

I'm happy. My car has been great apart from this. Design faults sometimes happen and for me Lexus handled the fault quickly and with great customer service as usual (except for the snack provision). A colleague who drives a Merc can't believe Lexus customer service compared to Mercedes. This mornings commute was 42.4mpg according to the trip computer.

Very pleased you where treated like you deserve to be.The injector mod has about 3 months ago for the toyota,not sure about the lexus,ill have to make some phone calls and find out for you.Sounds like it done the trick with the new 5th injector?

There are some other well known issues with the is220d,im not trying to put you off or run your car down,you know you have up to 60k miles or 3 years for warranty.Im trying to give you a heads up to keep an eye on things and get them sorted free under warranty.

Very pleased you where treated like you deserve to be.The injector mod has about 3 months ago for the toyota,not sure about the lexus,ill have to make some phone calls and find out for you.Sounds like it done the trick with the new 5th injector?

There are some other well known issues with the is220d,im not trying to put you off or run your car down,you know you have up to 60k miles or 3 years for warranty.Im trying to give you a heads up to keep an eye on things and get them sorted free under warranty.

do you know anything about the clutch judder problem.

I have not come across that one,but again i will ask the question for you.Can you give me a bitmore infomation,i.e pulling away up hill? temp of car? and year and spec of your car?

I have not come across that one,but again i will ask the question for you.Can you give me a bitmore infomation,i.e pulling away up hill? temp of car? and year and spec of your car?

yes,pulling away on an incline but can't say i have noticed any temp related conditions.the car is 220d se registered march 06 37k miles.

yes,pulling away on an incline but can't say i have noticed any temp related conditions.the car is 220d se registered march 06 37k miles.

Ill see what i can find out

Ill see what i can find out

many thanks

o.k i have some answers for you.Known fault and rectification for the clutch judder,there is a modified clutch plate and friction plate,all covered under manufactor warranty.There is allso a rectification for the gear change problems(namely 2nd and 3rd),a new lay shaft and bits and bobs for the gearbox.If you are having the clutch replaced might be worth saying you have issues with 2nd and 3rd gear change to get this new lay shaft fitted while you are there? Lexus wil not do these things as a matter of course,you have to say you have a problem and then the mods are carried out.Back to the 5th injector issue,only the 5th injector and engine e/c/u upgrade are carried out,Toyota are carrying out the tests and ground work with the modified injectors in there T180 range of cars ,if this proves to work then Lexus will follow.Hope that helps? You know what they say,its not what you know......its who!!!!

o.k i have some answers for you.Known fault and rectification for the clutch judder,there is a modified clutch plate and friction plate,all covered under manufactor warranty.There is allso a rectification for the gear change problems(namely 2nd and 3rd),a new lay shaft and bits and bobs for the gearbox.If you are having the clutch replaced might be worth saying you have issues with 2nd and 3rd gear change to get this new lay shaft fitted while you are there? Lexus wil not do these things as a matter of course,you have to say you have a problem and then the mods are carried out.Back to the 5th injector issue,only the 5th injector and engine e/c/u upgrade are carried out,Toyota are carrying out the tests and ground work with the modified injectors in there T180 range of cars ,if this proves to work then Lexus will follow.Hope that helps? You know what they say,its not what you know......its who!!!!

Thanks a lot ! please if this new version of piezo injectors would be approuved, and fit in is220d, tell it to us ! It would be great to improve mpg !!!

• 3 months later...

As also posted elsewhere but still relevant I hope!

Hi All

new member on here, wished I'd found it 7 months ago when choosing the IS220d...

Mine has been plaugue with poor power, poor consumption and such poor throttle response when pulling away that it's nearly cause collisions on about 5 or 6 occassions in 20,000 miles. The car was also a poor starter from day one. The car is a late 2007 IS220d.

To date it's had the following under warranty:

New common rail

New bleed down valve

new injectors

new 5th injector twice (plus modified I think!)

new exhaust gas recycling valve (EGR)

about 4 ecu remaps

fingers crossed, this has improved the car no end and it's very nearly a pleasure to drive again - the new EGR seems to have made the biggest impact - worth naggingyour dealer about if it's not already done. I also understand from a friend in the trade that there are new injectors being fitted of a different design as the originals "dribble" and eventually coke up the inlet manifold causing the power loss. The new ones are Nippon Denso piezos apparently

Fuel economy is now low to mid 40s and response and power are vastly improved.

My friend in the trade also stated that the same issues are known on the Avensis & Auris diesels and there does not appear to be a magic cure all fix to date, just evolving modifications as and when Toyota/Lexus find improvements.

Given the near misses I've had due to these issues, my company (it's a company car) have stated that if the problems reoccur, Lexus will be getting the vehicle back permanently as new corporate laws concerning company car drivers means they can be held responsible if a dangerous condition is known about. They have little patience with car companies having recently threaten legal action when a colleagues 320 diesel Beemer blew a turbo and BMW quote six weeks to replace... For all those out there driving company cars, this is worth taking up with your company if you believe the problems can't be solved and you want out of the vehicle.

Ironically enough, I had a decent choice of cars and my heart said Alfa 159 but by head said Lexus as it will be reliable. Strange that the Alfa diesels have a great reputation and the Lexus hasn't.... Like I said, wished I'd found this site 7 months ago...

Ped