Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 200 Cam Belt Check

Hi all

Let me just say what a great forum

Is there a quick easy way of checking the condition of my cam belt on IS 200 without major removal

Kind Regards

You can take the plastic cover off at the top of the engine, then you will be able to see the belt and what sort of condition it is in :D

Have said that, it all down to how old/miles your car is and miles done :D

Hi all

Let me just say what a great forum

Is there a quick easy way of checking the condition of my cam belt on IS 200 without major removal

Kind Regards

if the writing on the belt is readable its newish but it should be on the service history if done through the warranty

I've noticed alot of people here say that you should change the 'tensioners' at the same time as the cambelt, my question is... What are the 'tensioners'? what do they do? Why should all us Lexus IS200 owners change them? Of all my years of owning cars this is the first time tensioners are mentioned. On all my previous cars all i have ever needed to change is the cambelt during my Service interval. Isn't this just a 'glorified' Toyota? from what i've seen there are many parts on a Lexus which are shared by a few other models in the Toyota range, how comes they don't need to change the tensioners?

Tensioners are used to keep the cam belt tension and stop it going slack. I think alot of cars have them i know my old Clio did. If the tensioners fail then the belt could become slack and come off!

If you do a serch theres a couple of posts on here with prices for the belt and tensioner there not expensive.