Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a 95 series 2 Lexus LS400 which i have now had for 2 weeks.

I had a problem with the original Battery going flat, so i changed the Battery for a new one.

This new Battery is now also going flat !!! after 1 or 2 days. When i jump start the car, and drive it the Battery will charge up again, which makes me think the alternator is fine.

I am losing charge somewhere, any ideas?. Any known problems in this area

One thing i notice is that it sounds as if the heater fan is on, in its lowest setting even when the key is out of the ignition, this must be drawing charge? i think the heater LCD has been changed at sometime, could it have been soldered/Wired up wrongly?

check the output from the alternator to the battery it should be 14.5v, has any work been done on the power steering pump? they could have spilled ATF fluid on the alternator which unfortunately kills it slowly but surly

I dont thionk it is the alternator, because when i jump start the car, and drive it for a while the Battery will be fully charged up again.

It is only when i park the car up that the Battery goes flat again, it is if it is leaking electriciuty somewhere.

Alarm? or anywhere else?

Heater fan should not be on as you describe, it's likely to be that.......other things... is the boot lid light going off when shut, same for glove box light, door lights etc.......

Does the fan still run when switched from auto to off? :unsure:

mine had a similar issue and I checked everything and it ended up being the alternator it was only giving out 9v enough to top the Battery up as long as you dont use any electrical item or drive at night which I dont,

best thing is to get it started and take it to motorworld/halfords or any other place because they will check the Battery and alternator out this way you dont keep putting things right when it wasn't them in the first place ( I speak through experience ) but I just notice you said the heater fan is on with the keys out so I agree with ROYT there

Battery check. Get it LOAD TESTED! This is the only way to tell if it's on its way out. Otherwise, you can do a circuit test with a tester to see if there is someting draining the Battery (using electricity) Pulling out fuses is the long winded way of finding iut WHAT is! (while using the circuit tester)

Problem solved !!!!

It was a faulty heater fan speed controller. A friend of mine who is an auto electrician diagnosed it immediatly. Lexus want £125 + VAT for the part, so at the moment mine has not got a fan BUT at least the Battery does not get flattened all of the time !!!!

Hi,

Glad to hear you found out what the problem was.

Try calling Swift breakers,they might have the part and they can also post it to you.Ive used them myself a few times and have never had any problems with them.

Swift 01903856568

Chips.