Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hmm....they complain about the IS's ride and then give the BMW 3 series 5 stars for its outstanding ride and handling? Have they been in a 3 series with runflats??

The rear in the IS is cramped and I always wondered how they managed that given that the IS is based on the larger GS platform. Then if you look at the car you can see they have moved the engine well back to give better weight distribution and this has eaten into rear legroom - that and the bloody big electric seats.

hmm....they complain about the IS's ride and then give the BMW 3 series 5 stars for its outstanding ride and handling? Have they been in a 3 series with runflats??

The rear in the IS is cramped and I always wondered how they managed that given that the IS is based on the larger GS platform. Then if you look at the car you can see they have moved the engine well back to give better weight distribution and this has eaten into rear legroom - that and the bloody big electric seats.

Absolutely...I think What Car have been harsh on the 3* rating overall though...

Size - This is why a Hybrid wasn't built...there's no where for the battery's and motor...so we ended up with an oiler...

That to be honest its the only major area where the IS falls down. Space. It's the same size as a 3 series, but somehow small inside (esp the back and boot),and even the beemer has 50/50 weight balance... :unsure: The A post seems too close on the IS which gives you a hemmed in feeling at times when you first drive it...

Handling and road noise (upto 17") is better on a beemer - though it's ride is definitley worse - the knobbly ride is too uncomfortable at town speeds for me (even in a 5 series with 17, 18 or 19" wheels it's harsh), but the minute you take a fast corner, the Beemer feels alive...and it's more to do with the steering 'feel' than the suspension...

I think the IS deserves a two star. Very disappointed in Lexus. They had plenty of time to put things right i.e. pitting alloys, dreaded rattles, cheap plastics, cheap paint work, cabin noise, unsettled ride. Once I get rid of mine, that's it.

I think the IS deserves a two star. Very disappointed in Lexus. They had plenty of time to put things right i.e. pitting alloys, dreaded rattles, cheap plastics, cheap paint work, cabin noise, unsettled ride. Once I get rid of mine, that's it.

Shhhh!!! They might find out and give it 1*!!

You are right - but they haven't mentioned any of that on the What car? site...a chunk of lacquer and paint (size of a ha'penny) has fallen off of one of my alloys... :crybaby: and flying motorway debris has tarnish my drivers door.... :crying: but then that could have happened to any car...

The thin paint and rattles are still bugging me...each day a new scratch, and rattles come and go like the rain!

PS - lets not mention any of the nanny's or the lack of personalisation

STOP ME- HERE I GO AGAIN :yahoo:

Sorry this is a little :offtopic: , but I really think people are way too harsh about corroding alloys on here - was reading on the Mercedes forum the other day and the situation is just as bad.........

Mine corroded, fine, but then I took them to the dealer and they were all replaced - no hassle, no fuss. They haven't corroded since (touch wood!)

The alloys on our BMW are really badly corroded (and I mean BADLY), they look horrendous, but BMW wouldn't replace them as they said that was "wear and tear". I ask, "which approach would you prefer?"

Our '05' Mercedes CLS has corrosion starting to appear on it's alloys - haven't approached the dealer yet and hoping they won't make too much of a fuss but I doubt it'll be as straightforward as with Lexus.

The story continues, our Audi has corrosion on it's alloys too, and I expect it won't be long before they start going on the Mini as well..........

It is a simple fact that alloys corrode in this country, and I can see the point of view that there's no point making the manufacturing process much more expensive to cater for just one country (which isn't even the major market anyway)

The only thing I do agree with is the paint, that should be better because paint on German cars is so much tougher........

Parthiban - as ever you are right. My Audi only went in for one piece of Warranty work. Guess what - corrosion on alloys!! They wouldn't replace one of them as the alloy was very slightly kerbed NO WHERE NEAR THE CORRODED PART I might add!!

However, the paint work was much tougher (though no where as 'flat' or glossy), as was the availibility of personalisation...I still have a bee in my bonnet about the lack of auto lock (Oh change that tune)... :whistling: sorry for it being another whinge

Overall though, based on what Whatcar have stated their gripes are for a 3* award, they are wrong. It might be 3*, but for different reasons...

Anyway, it means more people buy those cr4ppy Beemers (every cloud has a silver lining...) whilst we enjoy the best VFM and best looking car on any drive...roll on the summer...I can get my car polished up again so it gleams in the sun...

The only thing I do agree with is the paint, that should be better because paint on German cars is so much tougher........

the soft paint pisses me off too, but as I see, it is not the problem just of lexus but probably of all manufacturers, who paint their cars with nature-friendly-water-mixed-paint, as with soft paint suffers also bmws 3 series and - also 6 series.

Recently I read a story about a guy who owns 6 series. In one day he noticed water in his headlights. The car was no more under warranty. He replaced both, 1 headlight costs 1200euros.

After a month and one strong rain he found out to have one of the headlights half full of water...I am happy to have lexus :))

From what I have read in what car magazienes, unless it is a 3 series or a 5 series BMW, then it is no good. I have driven a 1 series to a 7 series and to be honest, they are no where near as good as a Lexus. And always remember, when it goes wrong, the trouble you would have at Mercedes, the incompatence at Jaguar, and the eye bleeding bills that you would get from BMW, then Lexus really starts to make sense. Also, look at it from the other end of the spectrum. I used to own a 2001 Peugeot 206 1.9 Diesel as a driving school car and Peugeot want to charge for a cambelt change, and wait for this, £900.00 So a cambelt change at a lexus main dealer starts to sound really cheap. I say, Lexus all the way.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links