Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattle In The Engine Bay

CIJ

Alright guys,

Ok it started not that long ago, i can hear a rattle coming from the engine bay, ive opened up the bonnet :unsure: (good start) and have sorced it to what i think is the throttle linkage, when i open the throttle then close it quickly it seems to either rattle or get stuck :crybaby: well not quite stuck just very jerky, as if when its closing the last part it sticks.....anyway it aint right!! I can also feel it in the car too when its cold, if i accelerate then take my foot off the peddle the car jerks and just dont feel right.

What i need to know is.....does this sound like something that can be free'd up if taken apart or does it sound like an expensive trip to the garage?

Cheers for your help

Chris

Alright guys,

Ok it started not that long ago, i can hear a rattle coming from the engine bay, ive opened up the bonnet :unsure: (good start) and have sorced it to what i think is the throttle linkage, when i open the throttle then close it quickly it seems to either rattle or get stuck :crybaby: well not quite stuck just very jerky, as if when its closing the last part it sticks.....anyway it aint right!! I can also feel it in the car too when its cold, if i accelerate then take my foot off the peddle the car jerks and just dont feel right.

What i need to know is.....does this sound like something that can be free'd up if taken apart or does it sound like an expensive trip to the garage?

Cheers for your help

Chris

Take a trip to Halfords anf get a carb cleaner. It comes in spray form, then take of all the plattic on the top (air filter assy) so the throttle body is showing. Its next to the linkage. Spary loads in there and clean with a cloth. Turn the butterfly valve open eihter by hand or by turning the linkage and spray/clean with cloth. Do this until your happy that the throttle body is clean. Put everything back on and turn the car on. The car will not want to start but will after an trun or two. Trust me the car will feel great after that, it will be more responsive and the jerks will be gone. I've done this twice now in a space of 2 years, jsut needs a clean so everything is running smooth.

• 8 months later...

sorry too drege up a old topic butt it might help others, i too had this problemb and it turned out too be a coil pack begining too break down, when the pack packed in enough too throw the engine light on it was changed and the rattle on the throttle stopped, hope this helps,

sorry too drege up a old topic butt it might help others, i too had this problemb and it turned out too be a coil pack begining too break down, when the pack packed in enough too throw the engine light on it was changed and the rattle on the throttle stopped, hope this helps,

[/quote

my mechanic dude pointed this out to me put had forgotten about til just now. replaced 2 coils and its fine now. its like the throttle opens a fraction more and a clip on the linkage rattles when idling.