Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Weird Problem

Hello could do with some help have been searching on and off through the day but only found my problem once on an ls400?

Anyway my problem is i fitted my lowering springs on friday all went well and nice tidy job when i went out in it last night i noticed the front end to be bouncing up and down the faster i went i got to about 90mph and had to slow down as it felt very unsafe :msn-cry:

Does anyone know the cause for this or has it happend to anyone before could it be worn shocks?? as tried another set of shock today and its still the same my shocks have done approx 76k miles but not sure if it would cause the car to bounce in a pimp my ride kind of way? :tsktsk:

Any help would be great

Thanks

Chris.... :)

Hi,

Like you say you might need to replace the shocks.

If the new springs are of a stiffer type to the standard springs and your still running standard shocks then that might be the problem or the standard shocks are well past there best.

On uneven roads the car will fill unsettled at speed because of the lowering and the reduced amount of suspension travel.

Chips.

Hi,

Like you say you might need to replace the shocks.

If the new springs are of a stiffer type to the standard springs and your still running standard shocks then that might be the problem or the standard shocks are well past there best.

On uneven roads the car will fill unsettled at speed because of the lowering and the reduced amount of suspension travel.

Chips.

Thanks Chips,

Its weird because before i put the spring on it drove great :driving: do you think i'd have to change all four shocks as i bet thats going to cost a bit??

Maybe it would be better getting a set of coilovers as i bet the cost wont be a lot more?

Thanks Chips,

Its weird because before i put the spring on it drove great :driving: do you think i'd have to change all four shocks as i bet thats going to cost a bit??

Maybe it would be better getting a set of coilovers as i bet the cost wont be a lot more?

Hi,

You did replace each side of the car with a new spring so you put a set of new springs on the front.... or did you fit new springs on the front and rear?

If youve just replaced the springs then you could replace the shocks,but you will have to make sure they match the spring rate of the spring.

Chips.

Hi,

You did replace each side of the car with a new spring so you put a set of new springs on the front.... or did you fit new springs on the front and rear?

If youve just replaced the springs then you could replace the shocks,but you will have to make sure they match the spring rate of the spring.

Chips.

The springs that i fitted were apexi lowering springs 2 front and 2 rear on the original shocks will have to find the spring rate as not sure?

i brought them from Lee-iceman as he had them on his car for 2000 miles approx?

Cheers Chips

Chris... :)

Thats a bit of bitch mate. Never had any bouncing before. Did you try with my original shocks too?

Hello matey

Yeh tried both sets now and does the same on both sets i even tried mixing them as thought it might of just been mine going a bit soft but a bit odd that both do the same? going to see if they settle over the week then if not i'll have to drop my 4x4 looking set back on for the time being? :) realy do like the look of the car with them on so want them to work? maybe i'll pop over one day if you dont mind and let you have a spin in it to see if its just me as it could be me not usedto it??

The damper reaction is a distinct possibility. Also i seem to remember it could be possible to fit the springs incorrectly by having the front on the rear or the rear on the front..... Even worse diagonally.....

Hello mate

I did make sure that i got them the right way round as they came off another set of is200 shocks going to see if they settle over the week and if not go back to my original setup for the time being?

The damper reaction is a distinct possibility. Also i seem to remember it could be possible to fit the springs incorrectly by having the front on the rear or the rear on the front..... Even worse diagonally.....

Hello mate

I did make sure that i got them the right way round as they came off another set of is200 shocks going to see if they settle over the week and if not go back to my original setup for the time being?

I am sure they look identical... Niraj incorrectly fitted his lowering springs some years ago. I kept re-checking his Geometry since the car was handling so badly.... If i recall correctly tdiplc realised the problem and the numbers on the springs proved he had a diagonal bias.

I am sure they look identical... Niraj incorrectly fitted his lowering springs some years ago. I kept re-checking his Geometry since the car was handling so badly.... If i recall correctly tdiplc realised the problem and the numbers on the springs proved he had a diagonal bias.

Hello,

Is there a way of checking the springs as i took them off the shocks they were on and did them 1 at a time so i didnt mix them up? Lee-iceman never had a problem when they were fitted to his car? so thought it was a bit strange that they do it on mine?

thanks mate

Hello,

Is there a way of checking the springs as i took them off the shocks they were on and did them 1 at a time so i didnt mix them up? Lee-iceman never had a problem when they were fitted to his car? so thought it was a bit strange that they do it on mine?

thanks mate

Best to speak to him direct... http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...p?showuser=8708 He was in as much distress as you so has some valuable information.

Sorry to hear that mate, i'll chat on Sunday about it ;)

I'm really puzzled as to what is wrong with them now :duh:

[/quote

Not to worry Lee think its just very worn shocks mate as the car before was a bit on the soft side and the springs seem to be doing there job as the cornering is a lot better than before? do you know anybody that wants some springs? :lol::lol: cant wait to get the coilovers on as love the height of my car at the mo i'll be in it sunday anyway just cant go at silly speeds at the moment :whistling: i'll try and get your shocks all back together mate so i can drop them of for you as had a busy week? :outforcount: