Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It Has To Go

For what I use the car for, sticking £35 a week fuel in it (which quite often isn't enough to last the week) is more than I should be spending, given what i'm earning,

so sadly, when my insurance is due in July, I will have to part with my beloved Lexus (after owning for only 6 months) in exchange for something smaller, however I will be re purchasing a Lex further down the line, when I can afford it again

How can I get the best price for my car?

Its 60k service is due in 700 miles, and i'm no mechanic, would I get more for the car after paying for the service, or just a quicker sale? I believe the service at 60k is a major one, but Lexus are known for lasting 10-20k more miles trouble free without having the plugs and cambelt done, but it is 7 years old, should I have it done anyway?

for those who don't know: Its a 2000x SE Auto, I've had a look on Parkers for value, and taken into account things like the minor bumps etc

Paper round, lol, my first car was a Rover 214 and I paid for that completely from the profit I made buying and selling on eBay in my spare time, but their fees went up so much that even that stopped making me money.

I have to really look at my finances from now til July, to be fair, £35 a week in petrol doesn't sound a lot, but I'm only goin to and from work which is 5 miles each way, but with stop start driving with traffic every day and constant short trips, its just wasted fuel at the end of the day,

and my job at the moment is not far off 'dead end', only bringin in a grand a month, I don't seem to have any money to myself to have a life to go with the car, (break out the violins, lol) but my future is mapped out and a career change is on the cards (by that I mean, get a career) which may take a couple of years. but it means becoming a student for a while and taking a cut in pay to focus on education,

I'll miss the car, but i'll be stickin around here cos i'm still gonna end up with a Lex...

(anyone rate the 1.6 audi a3 as a good smaller alternative? (not the place to ask I know but you lot have been so helpful to everyone with their questions, and to be honest, vw audi members are so unhelpful) I really can't go for anythin like a micra after owning such a car as the Lex)

Rory

Sorry you have to sell, but I agree the fuel economy is poor. I do a similar journey in my RX. 5 miles commute in stop start traffic. I am lucky to get much than 250 miles from a full tank.

Irony is I live 300 yrds from a station which is 7 minutes from Piccadilly. Thing is would you rather:

A: Walk in the rain/wind/snow/sun. Wait upto 45 minutes for a train which is late and or full. Have to stand show your ticket 3 times queing each time?

B: Sit in a Lexus listening to radio/CD's in quiet bliss?

Tax and Insurance costs too much these days for me to only use the car for leisure

I have to say I think that's a little bit of a nonsense - if you're just in stop/start traffic then you're not really enjoying the car anyway. And for only 5 miles, it's an easy bike ride and will get/keep you fit and quite possibly be quicker.

You're not actually gaining anything by using the car for work, so why not try cycling in on nicer days and see how you get on? You might find (in fact I think you probably will) that you enjoy it more than sitting in traffic getting frustrated, and it will allow you to cut your monthly fuel spend down by 50% or more. And it was the fuel spend you were grumbling about...

Insurance and tax will remain much the same of course, but you'll still have the car to use when it's wet, or going somewhere after work, and at the weekends.

You've got a few weeks left before you sell it anyway, why not give it a go?

Really sorry to hear your getting rid of the motor

35 a week to do 10 miles away is really bad i put £40 a week in and i do 20 miles to work and 20 miles back.

Audis and VW's are quite expensive to insure for what they are but hope you find one soon.

Really sorry to hear your getting rid of the motor

35 a week to do 10 miles away is really bad i put £40 a week in and i do 20 miles to work and 20 miles back.

Audis and VW's are quite expensive to insure for what they are but hope you find one soon.

I'm doing the same mileage as you, Rikos, 40 miles a day. £40 worth of juice covers one weeks worth of driving (at the moment and assuming there are no more fuel increases) :sick: . Ideally, I could do with a diesel, but I've just spend a lot of cash on a service and timing belt change and also I can't really afford to change cars, as I have just bought a house and also 'cost to change' comes into play. Will probably change to an IS220d a few years down the line.

Shame you're selling up, think most of us on here would agree that the IS200 is just a thirtsy car to keep topped up! This alone is also making em think twice about keeping her to.

Good luck with your car hunt fella.

Oh, like your Avatar, used to watch that when I was a nipper :D

I've been shopping around for car insurance for next month, I hadn't previously compared this year's payments to next years, as I had an accident and expected it to either stay similar, or go up, but i'm delighted to find out, my premium is going to drop much more than I thought, approx £100 less per month

i'm in my first year on the road, and for the first 6 months of the year I was 3rd party on my rover, so when I swapped for the Lex, I had to pay £1400 over this last 6 months at £230ish a month

but next year its only going to be £1500, so over the 12 months its much less :D I don't know if all that makes sense, lol, but looking at the figures, if i'm a little more careful wih my fuel, I can easily afford to keep the lex after all, just means these last couple of months have been tight,

therefore this thread may be closed

I've been shopping around for car insurance for next month, I hadn't previously compared this year's payments to next years, as I had an accident and expected it to either stay similar, or go up, but i'm delighted to find out, my premium is going to drop much more than I thought, approx £100 less per month

i'm in my first year on the road, and for the first 6 months of the year I was 3rd party on my rover, so when I swapped for the Lex, I had to pay £1400 over this last 6 months at £230ish a month

but next year its only going to be £1500, so over the 12 months its much less :D I don't know if all that makes sense, lol, but looking at the figures, if i'm a little more careful wih my fuel, I can easily afford to keep the lex after all, just means these last couple of months have been tight,

therefore this thread may be closed

Glad tohear that Rory welcome back Mate!!!

I'm with Quinn direct at the mo, Zenith have quoted me £1520 with a minor bump last year, direct line ask if i've made any claims, which I haven't actually claimed myself, but not if i'd had any accidents, and still quoted £200 more...?

Checkin Tesco now