Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello,

The SatNav on my IS250 seems to have a mind of its own and regularly shows me leaving the road and driving across fields, over motorways and any other offroad activity it cares to think of. Last night I turned left at a junction, but the satnav showed me going straight on and what would have been straight through Tesco's front door and up to the deli counter, before then deciding to join me again on the correct road.

There is obviously something wrong with the calibration or sat receiver. At first I thought there must be something on the receiver, but since I don't know where it is (and the car was reasonably clean), then its got to be something else.

Is there a calibration option or self test function.....or is it as I fear..does the car require a trip to the doctors.

Thanks

Hello,

The SatNav on my IS250 seems to have a mind of its own and regularly shows me leaving the road and driving across fields, over motorways and any other offroad activity it cares to think of. Last night I turned left at a junction, but the satnav showed me going straight on and what would have been straight through Tesco's front door and up to the deli counter, before then deciding to join me again on the correct road.

There is obviously something wrong with the calibration or sat receiver. At first I thought there must be something on the receiver, but since I don't know where it is (and the car was reasonably clean), then its got to be something else.

Is there a calibration option or self test function.....or is it as I fear..does the car require a trip to the doctors.

Thanks

You can re-calibrate it yourself, if I remember it's on the 3rd page of the menu settings. Just remember that if you try this then you need a clear dry day (no fog, heavy rain etc) and ideally where there aren't too many tall buildings. At least that's how my Sony system in my previous car was - not tried the re-calib on the Lexus yet...

However, mine in my 220d did exactly that too, and the 'Doctor' had to refer the system to the 'Surgeon' who performed a 'translant' operation :whistling:

That's right - a whole new system!!

On my 250, is slightly behind me, whereas when ive passed a road, its still behind that road on the satnav.

usually when u turn off a motoraway it thinks ur still going straight ahead because the GPS doesnt look at what lane ur in until your slightly away from the motorway road

On my 250, is slightly behind me, whereas when ive passed a road, its still behind that road on the satnav.

usually when u turn off a motoraway it thinks ur still going straight ahead because the GPS doesnt look at what lane ur in until your slightly away from the motorway road

Automotive Satnav will only ever be 5-10meters accurate (upto 2 car lengths all round), and even then it depends on your speed (i.e. speeding up. slowing down etc) and how quickly or accurately your system can calculate things and compare it to the electronic map and post it onto the screen...The systems also have error correction, which is why when you deviate off a route, it takes some time to show pictorially what's just happened, but even then it should keep you on a road...

However, when the system starts showing you driving over the pavement, through a building, or in the middle of a field, then you are likely to have a problem...either interference in the signal (Poor weather, tall buildings, metallised screens/poor antenna positioining), insufficient Satellites (normally takes 1-2 minutes on startup), crap mapping or duff calculations. If this keeps happeining intermittently and seldom repeats on the same piece of road, then you rule out dodgy mapping, and consider the other factors...

You need 3 Sat's for basic 2d Nav, and 5 sat's for 3d mapping (sea level calc's etc)...Apparently Avionic and Maritime GPS is much more sensitive and more accurate...thank gord else we would never have Auto pilot on ships and planes....

So I'd get Lexus to take a look...as the gps also uses a speed pulse sensor from the BUS in the car/ecu together with a Gyrosensor (Electronic compass), and sometimes that can be the problem...