Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Might Join You Rx300'ers

So.....Loads of questions...............

What specifics should I look for (apart from the obvious) when buying?

Does the 'lurching' problem affect all RX's?

I will be towing a 1500kg caravan regularly, does anyone else? (If you dont want to admit it - just pm me hehehe)

If you tow anything, does the lurching cause a problem?

Which one would I be able to get with a budget of around 8k?

Thanks in advance

Dave

I have been informed numerous times that the "lurching" problem only exists in the Mark 2, the Mark 1 and from the 350 onwards it's fine. I have the Mark2 and have this problem :tsktsk:

OK thanks Bobby

I have been informed numerous times that the "lurching" problem only exists in the Mark 2, the Mark 1 and from the 350 onwards it's fine. I have the Mark2 and have this problem :tsktsk:

There is a software upgrade that will correct about 90% of the 'lurching' problem. Mine was done about 6 months ago, so I know this for sure.

Hi: If you have 8k to spend might be worth looking at used Toyota Harrier as plenty around at that level and basically same vehicle as the Mk1 RX . Parts are readily available both from Toyota and Lexus and normally they will have sensible mileage as well.Try autotrader or similar sites.Have recently bought one to supplement my GS300 as I needed to replace an old mercedes 4x4 for transporting my dogs around. They think they are in heaven.

Good luck. Harold

Cheers for all the replies

Hi: If you have 8k to spend might be worth looking at used Toyota Harrier as plenty around at that level and basically same vehicle as the Mk1 RX . Parts are readily available both from Toyota and Lexus and normally they will have sensible mileage as well.Try autotrader or similar sites.Have recently bought one to supplement my GS300 as I needed to replace an old mercedes 4x4 for transporting my dogs around. They think they are in heaven.

Good luck. Harold

Well thanks Harold, must admit I hadnt thought of a Harrier. Are they reliable? What sort of things go wrong as they are now getting a bit long in the tooth?

Dave

Cheers for all the replies

Good luck. Harold

Well thanks Harold, must admit I hadnt thought of a Harrier. Are they reliable? What sort of things go wrong as they are now getting a bit long in the tooth?

Dave

Dave: The engine and gearbox is the same as the Lexus Mk1 also the body shape as it is basically the same vehicle but without the badge and perhaps a few of the goodies such as leather seats etc.depending on the model. As I understand it the Mk1 and Harrier are all built at the same plant.Therefore it will have the same problems as the Lexus Mk1 in terms of suspension and perhaps gearbox.If you are interested just go on the forum including US and read up the problems the RX has in that area.In terms of VFM you cannot beat it and if you wanted to you can buy the bits and rebadge it and it will look like a Lexus but at sensible money.Some people have done that.Just make sure you check the vehicle out thoroughly before buying and see if it has any service history.

The problems with mine have been electrical so suggest you checkout the windows and door locks/central locking as the motors cost £150 a time. The headlights also tend to fog up.More than often or not the Jpaanese radio will only allow you to get Radio 2 but then you can get a band expander.I bought new brake discs and pads and now going for timing belt change at 60k as well as changing the transmission oil. Have also changed the oil and fliter and usual things such as spark plugs.

Mine is a 98 and body and frame have stood up to the years and still well put together.

If you are a bit of mechanic you get a workshop manual for not much money on CD on eBay and I found this excellent to do some bits such as door locks/windows etc. as you can print off the relevant pages.This will save you money.

Sorry if long winded but I went through the same exercise 6 weeks ago and looked at Lexus initially but frankly speaking too much money

when you can buy the same vehicle but with a Toyota badge.

Harold

There is a software upgrade that will correct about 90% of the 'lurching' problem. Mine was done about 6 months ago, so I know this for sure.

Where did you get the software upgrade done ? I assume a Lexus dealer. Did they do it free of charge ?

Where did you get the software upgrade done ? I assume a Lexus dealer. Did they do it free of charge ?

Any Lexus dealer, FOC under warranty.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links