Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lost The Back End

I've had the odd twitch before, but this weekend was the first time I completely lost the back end. Driving into Westport on a rainy Saturday morning, taking a corner at a not outrageous speed, it just slipped out completely without any real warning. Luckily, there was nothing coming on the other side of the road and control was eventually restored, but it was a nasty enough moment.

When I parked I decided I should probably just have a look at the rear tyres. I was pretty shocked to discover they're as bald as Britney's.... well, you get the idea. :winky: I actually check the tyres reasonably regularly, although admittedly, I normally check the fronts for uneven wear and I don't give the rears so much attention. Silly me, how could I forget that the rear always deserves some attention?! Anyway, the last stages of wear must have happened very quickly. I don't consider myself a hard driver, but I've managed to wear these out (Goodyear GSD3) in about 12,000 miles. Doesn't sound like much to me.

So, I'm in the market for new tyres. I'll probably change all 4, as one of the fronts has worn enough on the inside edge that I'm not happy about it. Should I stick with Eagle F1's or should I try something else (Dunlop SP9000 for example)? Any suggestions? I'm a bit out of the loop.

Si

F1's are rated as one of the best on the market so probably worth sticking with them. Regarding the insdie tyre wear have you had your geometry checked by the Dr? By the sounds of it you need it doing!!!

After looking into what I should replace my current Vredersteins Ultracs tyres with, I found the Toyos Proxes T1-R to have a better all round rating.

Look on mytyres.co.uk and you can view the test results of each tyre.

After looking into what I should replace my current Vredersteins Ultracs tyres with, I found the Toyos Proxes T1-R to have a better all round rating.

Look on mytyres.co.uk and you can view the test results of each tyre.

Toyo T1-R's seemed to have gotten a better review from tyretest.com and they are cheaper, 121 Euro delivered from eiretyres.com. Trip to the Doctor is on the cards fro me over the summer as i got new coilovers and strut braces fitted and some arb's on the way. Maybe a mini road trip of irish members is in order!

Trip to the Doctor is on the cards fro me over the summer as i got new coilovers and strut braces fitted and some arb's on the way. Maybe a mini road trip of irish members is in order!

If ever the right opportunity arises, I'll catch the ferry and drive over to see the Dr myself. I'd love to get some straight answers, since I've been told "something's bent" in the past, but I'm not sure that everything was set as best it could be by the "professional" guy doing the geometry. Reading between the lines, he seemed more interested in doing it quickly than doing it properly. If the numbers he was seeing were anywhere within range, he just didn't touch them. There was no question of trying to get equal numbers on either side of the car, for example.

Regarding the Toyos, I've heard that they don't wear so well, and given the fact that I wore the Goodyears out in 12,000 miles, I don't think I could cope with anything less. In my head it's a toss-up between the Goodyears, Dunlop Sport Maxx or Vredestein Ultracs. Strangely, the prices I'm being quoted for the Goodyears are cheaper by €30 a corner this time around.

Si

I have been running Toyo's on my IS for a couple of years now, and they are wearing perfectly evenly and still have loads of life left.

They hold the road well, and are quiet.

The Dr. has worked his magic on my geometry settings though :)