Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on what I should ask for at my 10,000 service.

I have an annoying "crack" sound every so often with the air con ( like a stone hitting the car) is this fixable??? I'm more than happy with fuel economy in my 220d (high 40's since day one using Shell or BP), I'm just wondering if there's anything specific i should ask to be checked?

Thanks

Colin

I would only ask for something to be done where you had a specific problem. The crack from the dash is fixable and has been covered on here a fair few times, my only worry about them taking the car to pieces to fix one problem is it can invariably cause another.

For the standard service you'll be out of the door in two hours with it washed and ready to go, for the dash creak the car will be there a lot longer and could end up having repeat visits... If it's the same as I have I'm not that fussed as it only 'cracks' once and then does no more, if it was a constant noise I'd be more keen to get a fix :)

accidentally I go for this service check on friday. btw asked for gs450h :)

I am just surprised that the car didn't tell me, that it wants to go to the service. In other cars "service check" or something similar is blinking, here nothing. I asked the dealer, and he told me that IS asks only for oil change... that strange to me. Usually I have the trip1 or 2 visible and I could have problem with warranty if I wouldn't notice...

I am just surprised that the car didn't tell me, that it wants to go to the service. In other cars "service check" or something similar is blinking, here nothing.

Very true - Why no variable servcing?

It can save you hundreds of pounds...and even more Euro's over 2-4 years!! Especially when the car already uses Synthetic oils - another small area where Perfection hasn't been discovered yet...

Jamboo, but IS has variable oil change (up to 30.000kms) I just don't get the point, why there is 15.000kms check and why the BC doesn't tell me "it's the time to pay, mate" :)

I am just surprised that the car didn't tell me, that it wants to go to the service. In other cars "service check" or something similar is blinking, here nothing.

Very true - Why no variable servcing?

It can save you hundreds of pounds...and even more Euro's over 2-4 years!! Especially when the car already uses Synthetic oils - another small area where Perfection hasn't been discovered yet...

My MM informs me when the car is due for a service - with a message that appears on the screen at start up. Has no one else noticed this. I have had two services on my car and I am sure it appeared both times.

At the same time I usually get a call from Lexus Customer Service informing me that they think my car is due for a service and would I like them to book it in - which I think is an excellent touch.

I also have heard that Lexus likes to get their customers in at 10K mile intervals to improve the customer experience! Not sure what is meant by that, I suppose they like to see their customers often. And to be honest the whole service experience is very painless with my local dealership.

Can't help with cost as I pre-paid for mine when I bought the car. Quite a reasonable cost as it includes wear and tear parts and can be used at any Lexus centre.

My 10k service was £230, including wipers, engine flush and 5 mins of flirtation from the girl on the service desk. Now just passed the 30k mark and they've offered me a good trade in so I think I'll have another 250 Auto. Dunno what colour though - edging towards Cadaxton Slate with the grey leather interior.

I also have heard that Lexus likes to get their customers in at 10K mile intervals to improve the customer experience! Not sure what is meant by that, I suppose they like to see their customers often. And to be honest the whole service experience is very painless with my local dealership.

Forgive my cynicism, but the most obvious reason why commercial organisations want regular contact with their customers, it because of the the opportunity to sell that it affords.

My bank manager writes to me regularly and invites me to go and see him so that he can advise me about the way I am using my financial resources. I always respond by pointing out that he is hardly a disinterested party.

I am sure that many dealerships try very hard, but you must always remember that their interests are not necessarily congruent with yours.

Forgive my cynicism, but the most obvious reason why commercial organisations want regular contact with their customers, it because of the the opportunity to sell that it affords.

My bank manager writes to me regularly and invites me to go and see him so that he can advise me about the way I am using my financial resources. I always respond by pointing out that he is hardly a disinterested party.

I am sure that many dealerships try very hard, but you must always remember that their interests are not necessarily congruent with yours.

I agree and I always take things that the dealer (or anyone else who is trying to sell you something) says with a pinch of salt and research anything they say to see what the alternatives are

It's intended to get more money out of you - it's bloomin' expensive! In this day and age 10,000 mile intervals are laughable...!

These cars were supposed to be cheaper to service as they use mineral oil - yeah....right...dealers only recommend Fully Synth...!!The car wash clubs, I thought, were the mechanism for getting you in regularly...

It's intended to get more money out of you - it's bloomin' expensive! In this day and age 10,000 mile intervals are laughable...!

These cars were supposed to be cheaper to service as they use mineral oil - yeah....right...dealers only recommend Fully Synth...!!The car wash clubs, I thought, were the mechanism for getting you in regularly...

I'm not sure 10k is laughable (intervals are every 5k in the US). Even Audi are looking to return to 10k intervals as the Longlife service plans are giving them and customers so much grief. I think one of the reasons Lexus can go to high mileages trouble free is because they have usually had unstressed I/V6 or V8 (diesels excepted) engines serviced every 10k miles.

I'm not sure 10k is laughable (intervals are every 5k in the US). Even Audi are looking to return to 10k intervals as the Longlife service plans are giving them and customers so much grief. I think one of the reasons Lexus can go to high mileages trouble free is because they have usually had unstressed I/V6 or V8 (diesels excepted) engines serviced every 10k miles.

Possibly...that could be the holy grail of Lexus lengevity...but I still think it's to make more money out of us... :whistling:

It wasn't that long ago that people said if it's done 100k it's shot, now a days, cars barely take a drop of oil even at that mileage...Petrol or diesel...

I've seen VAG Taxis in europe with well over 500,000km on the clock, same engine, but they do say change the oil every 10000km - so I suppose it makes sense...

Still - £150+ is a lot of what is essentially an Oil Change!!

Just booked the car in for the service at Lexus Edinburgh and was told that that as well as the service there is a hand break mod to be applied and an ECC update (Car computer I assume) which was described as a "temporary measure" relating to the 5th injector. They also said that there will be another ECC update in the near future.

I'm now concerned that my excellent fuel economy (high 40's ) will be knackered. :crybaby: Has anyone had this ECC updated applied that had good economy before it and what was the outcome?

Thanks

Colin

• 2 months later...
My 220 had it's 10K service yesterday - £176.28

I'd reported (as I'm sure we all have) the poor fuel economy and was told my 5th injector was clogged and it needed an ECU re-map. It's going back on Tuesday to get it done.

Si -did you get Gold discount? Mine cost £155 - if you didn't ask 'em, ask!

PS - what MPG are you getting? Mine is now hitting mid 40's on a run at whatever speed :o 12900 miles completed since new...

PPS - you know how I whinge about the servcing costs, well our little Nissan cost £193 for it's first service (OUCH) - and that's fixed prices by Nissan...can you believe it? I told them my Lex was cheaper and they laughed....b :tsktsk: ds

I'd reported (as I'm sure we all have) the poor fuel economy and was told my 5th injector was clogged and it needed an ECU re-map. It's going back on Tuesday to get it done.

PS - what MPG are you getting? Mine is now hitting mid 40's on a run at whatever speed :o 12900 miles completed since new...

PPS - you know how I whinge about the servcing costs, well our little Nissan cost £193 for it's first service (OUCH) - and that's fixed prices by Nissan...can you believe it? I told them my Lex was cheaper and they laughed....b :tsktsk: ds

Sometimes I just don't have the sense I was born with. I completely forgot to ask about the Gold discount. I'll see if I can sort it out on Tuesday when I take the car back to them.

The MPG stabilised at 36 average over roughly 9000 miles. The garage reset the clock during the service and it's now saying 28 average.

I'd rather have a Lexus than a Nissan (although I do like the 350Z TBH)

imho 10,000 miles for a car of this standard is a joke... Previous TT told you when it needed a service...

In my job I look after a lot of vehicles which includes citroen vans, the service intervals on these are 12,500 if driven hard (off road or fully laden most of time), if normal day to day running then 20,000 is the norm.

Guess as they are company vehciles citroen don't want to sell the drivers anything...

Sometimes I just don't have the sense I was born with. I completely forgot to ask about the Gold discount. I'll see if I can sort it out on Tuesday when I take the car back to them.

The MPG stabilised at 36 average over roughly 9000 miles. The garage reset the clock during the service and it's now saying 28 average.

I'd rather have a Lexus than a Nissan (although I do like the 350Z TBH)

It seems my LOC Gold discount had already been applied. Ho Hum.

The car had the 5th injector replaced yesterday and an ECU re-map, I'm looking forward to seeing what effect the changes will have on economy.

I like the fact that the car gets cleaned when it goes in to the dealers, I don't like the fact that the cleaner seems to have used a dirty rag to do the job. I mentioned it though and have been promised a free valet whenever I'd like to take the car back.

Another issue though - my security wheel nuts have gone rusty. It looks terrible. Is anybody else having the same issue?

Regarding the ECU map, my Overall MPG was 42 for 20,000 miles (now on 38,000) then gradually dropped (no change in journeys or driving style) and when it finally hit 38.5 Lexus Bristol did the ECU2 remap and the MPG carried on dropping. When the back order of 5th Injectors came in I had that done and the MPG improved significantly. I am at around 41mpg now. I suspect I need some tracking doing as I have kerbed it a couple of times.

However, the MPG is nowehere near the 45mpg I was getting out of the Courtesy 220d with 400 miles on the clock, it also felt more sprightly, wonder what that one will be like when its run in!

Make sure you have the ECU update and Injector mod done at the same time.

Mine is a company car so with no option of extra sales Lexus ignore me!